Archoil AR9100 Additive Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading a bunch about how wonderful Archoil is in late model ford Diesel engines and the nanoborate anti wear additives sound like great stuff especially in high performance/high load engines.

Some of my friends have used it with great success elimiating rough running diesel injector issues.

Always been a little skeptical of most oil additives watching many come and go over the years, but if this stuff is as good as advertised, I'm strongly considering using their oil additive in my 2008 Ferarri built Maserati 4.2l gasoline engine.

Any of you experts have experience one way or the other with Archoil?

Many thanks.

The Archoil additive is tailored for the injection system (that uses high pressure oil to actuate the injectors) in primarily the Ford 6.0 diesel (read 6.oh-no). Although several people swear by it in the 6.0 I don't know that it will do much aside from lighten your wallet in your gas engine over a well formulated Euro Spec engine oil.

FWIW there are many, many previous threads on Archoil, some of which are very long and detailed. You may wish to search for them.

I hear some top fuel dragster mechanics swear by it as well to protect the bottom end.

So far I don't see a down side of trying it but wanted to see if any of the chemical engineers who frequent this site had direct first hand experience or had conducted any lab tests not funded by the manufacturer or their competition.

Originally Posted By: Ltmax
I hear some top fuel dragster mechanics swear by it as well to protect the bottom end.

So far I don't see a down side of trying it but wanted to see if any of the chemical engineers who frequent this site had direct first hand experience or had conducted any lab tests not funded by the manufacturer or their competition.

Every fuel car I've ever had the pleasure or turning a wrench on or talking to those who did got only one thing dumped in it... SAE 70 2-3 gallons depending on the era. We changed it every pass and after the in pit warmup before the pass. It always came out looking like yellow green frothy slime from the fuel dilution. No need to bother with additives when the engine gets 8 new pistons, rings, connections rods, and a full set of rod and main bearings every pass. No additives would have prevented the failures I've seen. Blackened bearings were usually the fault of the tuneup, broken rods and severed blower studs usually the same thing. For a while we had an issue with yanking all of the main studs out of the block.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
FWIW there are many, many previous threads on Archoil, some of which are very long and detailed. You may wish to search for them.

Been reading this board for many years (without posting any questions) from the searches I've done nearly all the Archoil threads in the past 2 years pertain to how it works in Ford diesel engines or talk about one of their other products (except for the interesting Dutch Coast Guard article).

Was hoping to see if anyone had more current test results over the past few years on AR9100 in gasoline engines.

Thanks Again

The problem with all such additives is that people "swearing" by it, "first hand experience" and testimonials is all you are going to get. You can find various studies on the individual components or purported ingredients, but if you will not find actual and meaningful laboratory tests on the whole additive to either prove or disprove their claims.

The thing is, it's not as if such tests are unknown or impossible to run. You will find too that it's generally the claims are made in such a way that even if the tests were run they wouldn't positively indicate either way (lots of "up to" language).

Been reading this board for many years (without posting any questions) from the searches I've done nearly all the Archoil threads in the past 2 years pertain to how it works in Ford diesel engines or talk about one of their other products (except for the interesting Dutch Coast Guard article).

Was hoping to see if anyone had more current test results over the past few years on AR9100 in gasoline engines.

No, you would find them in the same searches that you've already done. Besides, such tests are beyond the scope of anyone on here that I know.

I have a UOA with AR9100 in a 3.7 Duratec on here. I used it with Mobil 1 5w20...numbers looked good...can say it quieted the engine vs my current PUP 5w20 without Archoil...will have a UOA without soon.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I have a UOA with AR9100 in a 3.7 Duratec on here. I used it with Mobil 1 5w20...numbers looked good...can say it quieted the engine vs my current PUP 5w20 without Archoil...will have a UOA without soon.

Awesome, that's exactly what I've been looking for, let me know, very appreciated!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4533752/Re:_2012_Mazda_CX-9_Oil_Analys#Post4533752

Here it is.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4533752/Re:_2012_Mazda_CX-9_Oil_Analys#Post4533752

Here it is.
Thanks!

It will be interesting to see the results without the additive as a comparison. Unfortunately it will be a different oil though? How will that be meaningful?

Archoil 9100 ran well in my uoa but huge potassium. They s'mpled me out some Archoil 9300 which it getting used soon. They have been really good to me.

It's a good practice to take separate VOA samples of the PCMO and the OTC additive before mixing so you know what the OTC additive is contributing to the final PCMO mix.

If the OTC additive is contributing a lot of any one element, such as Potassium, you may have a false sense of an impending head gasket leak.

Last edited:
Got the additive today, it's going into the beautiful Ferrari built 4.2l Maserati this afternoon along with 8.4 quarts of Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic 5w-30. I'll let you know in about 6 months how the uoa comes out.

Thanks everyone

Ltmax...let us know what your first impressions are? It quieted down my applications and curious on your take. Thanks for sharing you upcoming experiences.

Ltmax...let us know what your first impressions are? It quieted down my applications and curious on your take. Thanks for sharing you upcoming experiences.

Just finished changing the oil/filter and putting in 10 ounces of the Archoil AR9100. I was shocked at how much of a noticeable difference it made as soon as I started it up. The engine is much quieter now, standing above it all you hear is a quiet whirring of the valve-train and belts and the sound of the injectors ticking. Must say, it's a considerable change from before. Took it for a short drive and it seems to rev a bit quicker as well.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy so far with the results.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks. Whether this stuff does what it claims is uncertain...but man I swear it smooths things out a lot. Appreciate your seat of the pants experience. Enjoy your weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back