Pep Boys Proline oil from China now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PB rep was just here. He said to buy the PB Proline oil now because they are changing vendors and the oil will be coming from China. Wonder if its true or if he is trying to unload pallets of oil?

Chinese oil?
crazy2.gif

Unless he was just talking about the filters. Those "leak tested" cans with cellophane wrap around the bottom

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Yeah it's Chinese oil. It's the next-gen GTL technology- VTL. Vapor to liquid. They're scrubbing the air in China and making oil out of it.

I thought that was synthetic coal tar oil?

grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Chinese oil?
crazy2.gif

Unless he was just talking about the filters. Those "leak tested" cans with cellophane wrap around the bottom
those are prolly better than the tearlater built oil filters they sell now.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Yeah it's Chinese oil. It's the next-gen GTL technology- VTL. Vapor to liquid. They're scrubbing the air in China and making oil out of it.

Good one! Filtration of the particulate must be a key step . . .

Last year I flew into Beijing it was like looking down on an old brown and tan (hazy) photo from the 1800’s … mile after mile …

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The PB rep was just here. He said to buy the PB Proline oil now because they are changing vendors and the oil will be coming from China. Wonder if its true or if he is trying to unload pallets of oil?

From a business perspective, you'll be tying up cash into sitting inventory. Assuming you want nothing to do with the Chinese oil, just find a different supplier now because you'll have to eventually. That said, are they even giving you guys a discount to buy all this?

Tell the local NAPA you're getting oil from PB for $x.xx a quart. See if they can beat or at least match it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

From a business perspective, you'll be tying up cash into sitting inventory. Assuming you want nothing to do with the Chinese oil, just find a different supplier now because you'll have to eventually. That said, are they even giving you guys a discount to buy all this?

Tell the local NAPA you're getting oil from PB for $x.xx a quart. See if they can beat or at least match it.
I have tried that in the past. Napa won't bargain on oil. My cost from pb is $1.80/qt. Napa is double that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I have tried that in the past. Napa won't bargain on oil. My cost from pb is $1.80/qt. Napa is double that.

Sounds like you'll still need a new supplier. Buy all the oil you want, but you'll need more eventually.

The Pep Boys locally never sells oil or filters, unless they put them in. I’ve seen bottles oil from 2010, and even older filters! They’re still full price, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back