EPA to roll back Obama-era fuel economy standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to have goals. Like setting goals for cutting pollution made by vehicles. The manufacturers stepped up to the challenge.

It's kind of a funny spin when they mention that no one is eager to buy a car with worse gas mileage and spews more pollution. That's exactly what people are doing when they get rid of their cars and buy SUVs and trucks which now outsells cars. In reality, no one is probably eager to buy a new car that's slower and has less power than the previous year.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Cool. Now get rid of ethanol in gasoline.

Yes.

My vehicles gas milage gauge just shot up at the mere mention of such amazingness

One car testing magazine/outfits just got 13 mpg in a TRD Tundra.Thats an improvement? Lets go back to the 70s/80s...it wouldn't cost as much to get the same 13 mpg in the very end.

Lots of loonies/snowflakes running for their safe spaces, some blowing bubbles, coloring books, puppies and bunny rabbits over this one.
lol.gif

Just get government out if it.

Downsides:
1) our fearless leader was complaining we don’t export enough cars. However this makes them less appealing in world market as inefficient
2) this leaves little motivation for innovation of better fuel economy technologies because no push and profitable market is in fuel pigs. Smells like 2000’s and rise in fuel price and our big three simply sunk with non competitive offerings for fuel efficiency
3) gives a great place for China autos who are innovating alternative drive trains to slip into where US big three will lack

I'm not a fan of a complete roll back

Maybe a more tactful slowdown, give the technology time to mature, and to let the engineers engineer

I also don't think it's going to affect much, because all automakers engineer for the global sales stage

They're not going to sell us an inferior product when they have to meet higher standards worldwide

I'm all for the rollback. This whole thing is unecessary government intrustion, regulation, and bloat. Electric cars are coming, even if there is no CAFE. It only makes sense. Let the market drive it and it will wind up in the same place, withouth the government bureaucracy that costs us all money. Of course, CAFE made the left feel good and feel like they were fighting climate change, so I guess all that money got at least that.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
One car testing magazine/outfits just got 13 mpg in a TRD Tundra.

That is horrendous....
My F150 is averaging in the upper 18’s -
I regularly get 19+ miles per gallon under ideal conditions

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Downsides:
1) our fearless leader was complaining we don’t export enough cars. However this makes them less appealing in world market as inefficient
2) this leaves little motivation for innovation of better fuel economy technologies because no push and profitable market is in fuel pigs. Smells like 2000’s and rise in fuel price and our big three simply sunk with non competitive offerings for fuel efficiency
3) gives a great place for China autos who are innovating alternative drive trains to slip into where US big three will lack

Sorry but your reasoning is dependent on Government regulation not demand or ingenuity. Efficiency will improve and the most sought after vehicles in China are Suv's so American companies are looking to make our best sellers more efficent. Government is not the catalyst for improvment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back