1/4 copper compression fitting leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to connect plastic tubing to copper for fridge/ice maker
Got this coupling from home depot.
Put the sleeve in the plastic worked fine
But the copper tubing connection the to coupling has a tiny leak.
The coupling came with a ferrule in it, tried that first, tiny leak , 1 drop leaks down pipe per minute.
I cut the old ferrule and pipe off, and added a new ferrule.
Same thing, leaking
Tips,
advice?

Last edited:
Push-in fittings are the way to go these days.

With the compression fitting, assemble the ferrule and nut hand tight, then put the tube in-- making sure it goes all the way in-- then tighten the nut.

Like mk378 says, it seems like the Sharkbite fittings or similar are easy and reliable. On the one you have make sure all the surfaces are clean and damage free. Any scratches and such will cause a leak. Sometimes the will self seal after awhile.

If the copper tube was clean and not deformed or scratched then you just need to compress it to seal. Dont be afraid to crank down the compression fitting until the edges of the brass ferrule COMPRESS onto the copper pipe and seal. It wont seal over time more so make sure its not leaking before you put it away.

Polish up the outer surfaces of both copper and plastic with some fine grit sand paper.

I have had good luck putting a drop of oil on the threads of brass compression fittings. The oil lets the "sticky" brass threads tighten up better. keep the oil out of the water line proper.

They don't make a 1/4 OD push to connect
I used some steel wool on the copper end

I'll just have to get another coupling and try again.

Permatex liquid teflon thread sealant.

Just smear a very light coat on the "barrel" (none on the threads) - done

51gzSlNJItL__28762.1408083259.480.400.jpg

You must have had the wrong part. Lowes and similar stores definitely sell them for 1/4 inch OD (as well as 3/8 and 1/2). Small tubing is trade-sized by OD.

Last edited:
for what its worth. i cant stand compression fittings. i like double flare. like on a break line. NEVER had one fail. and plastic is NOT even right for any thing.

You're not supposed to use the brass ferrule on plastic tubing. It cuts into the tubing causing a leak. Use a plastic ferrule. Tighten the **** out of the copper side, with a back up wrench holding the fitting.
35 years experience as a pipe fitter/journeyman plumber/welder/-6 years as an ABC pipe fitter teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back