'Synthetic' as the word relates to motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you jooksing. MPT makes some interesting oils. It’s a good article on the basics of motor oil. Anyone that says who cares about it should keep it to himself and question why he is in this forum.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Thank you jooksing. MPT makes some interesting oils. It’s a good article on the basics of motor oil. Anyone that says who cares about it should keep it to himself and question why he is in this forum.

WHO CARES!!!

35.gif

Anyone that rrally gives a (edit-mod) wouldn't ask if M1 is a synthetic. How about you keep your "opinion" to yourself. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51

Anyone that rrally gives a (eidt-mod) wouldn't ask if M1 is a synthetic. How about you keep your "opinion" to yourself. Thanks

car51... What is the issue brother? We enjoy your C&P posts even if it may be an obscure filter. Why? Because it's an oil forum and there may be someone on here who appreciates your hard work, i do as do countless others. Why then are you attacking this thread where the same logic applies?

I must have stepped on poo.. Seems like I attract flies. I do not have a "side" on whether M1 is or is not a Syn. But I am interested to understand the argument. Hope there is like minded people out there.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Anyone that rrally gives a (edit-mod) wouldn't ask if M1 is a synthetic. How about you keep your "opinion" to yourself. Thanks

car51... What is the issue? We enjoy your C&P posts even if it may be an obscure filter. Why? Because it's an oil forum and there may be someone on here who appreciates your hard work, i do. Why then are you attacking this thread where the same logic applies?

I dont care to hear the same b.s. posted repeatedly. Sick of thus bull caca already

Im leaving once and for all

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Having a bad day there, Adam? Tomorrow is another day, and it'll be better. Hang in there.

Im totally done here. No one gives a (edit - mod) at all. Posting stupid questions about syn vs conventional makes me sick

I am leaving this site finally. Wont miss anyone or anything about this place either

Something about synthetics that I've pondered,do 0W oils have a superior base stock in order to achieve the 0W rating? For instance,would 0W20 have a superior base stock over 5W20 in the same brand?

Wemay, I think part of car51's point is mainly that the article is essentially just sales advertising for MPT. It says nothing new, other than promoting their brand. The other part is, for 99%+ of every roadgoing car owned by a BITOG member, ANY oil labeled "synthetic" is going to perform very similarly, to the point of essentially identical as far as those engines are concerned, regardless of the Group III, IV, or V base oils.

I'd even venture to say that there is NO roadgoing engine that requires a full Group IV or V oil. Any labeled "synthetic" will provide adequate protection for reasonable OCIs even if they are mainly Group III- like PP/PUP.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
Interesting read for me as I have several years of BITOG to catch up on.
I was wondering why some say that M1 is not really a Synthetic and found this.

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-02/synthetic-word-relates-motor-oil

In the US, oil blenders are allowed to say the oil is synthetic if it contains some synthetic oil. Outside the US, it must actually be synthetic oil to be labeled that way.

So...M1 is a synthetic blend, which is to say it has some synthetic but in actuality is is mostly a Group III oil, from what I have read.

All because of advertising....

Who cares

Sorry man, yeah it can be difficult to answer questions again and again, but old joke plus new audience = new joke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Wemay, I think part of car51's point is mainly that the article is essentially just sales advertising for MPT. It says nothing new, other than promoting their brand. The other part is, for 99%+ of every roadgoing car owned by a BITOG member, ANY oil labeled "synthetic" is going to perform very similarly, to the point of essentially identical as far as those engines are concerned, regardless of the Group III, IV, or V base oils.

I'd even venture to say that there is NO roadgoing engine that requires a full Group IV or V oil. Any labeled "synthetic" will provide adequate protection for reasonable OCIs even if they are mainly Group III- like PP/PUP.

Virtually no oil is a full 4 or 5 for a daily driver. Most synthetics are a blend of base stocks and it's my understanding that a blend of base stocks produces a higher quality synthetic oil.

If it's a topic you're tired of, move on (generally speaking). There are countless threads where i feel the same way. There is just a way of saying it without being rude to a specific poster. car51 is a good guy, we all have tough days and I chalk it up to that, but it doesn't mean we can't address him either. We Bitogers communicate with each other more than we do with many people we see all the time.

Car 51 sorry as I am a new member. So this is new to me. I still thought M1 is a full syn. Don't leave cause of my ignorant post. But why so mean?

What I found interesting in the article is that XOM complained about Castrol not being a real Syn in 1999. From what I understand Mobil 1 switched to group 3 in the early 2000.

If I pay for Kobe beef I better be getting Kobe beef... I guess I was not due to marketing.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
If I pay for Kobe beef I better be getting Kobe beef...

That's not a good analogy. If you are buying engine oil based on its individual ingredients, you are buying it for the wrong reasons, IMO.

I would focus on the oil's overall performance, as indicated by the particular engine manufacturer specs that it meets. It's not the individual ingredients that matters. It's how the formulation as a whole performs. There is more to an oil than just base oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back