Best new vehicle for woman 80+ 15-20k price range?

Helping a relative replace a dead 2003 taurus.

What is the best car/cuv in the 15000-20000 range.

She doesnt want to spend more.
Plenty of great vehicles in the 20-25k range.

Her previous cars were 1986 olds delta 88, 2003 Taurus SE.
Doesnt want bells and whistles, lane minder beeping type stuff.

Early Ideas... Santa Fe Sport(base model), Subaru Impreza, Chevy Equinox, Chevy Cruze, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Elantra

I realize the price is pushing the budget on all of these except the cruze and elantra.
Hoping the budget will go up slightly after she test drives a few.

She has about 10-20 days to purchase(before she has to pay for rental).
Idea is to get her on a few test drives.. she can figure out what she likes about each.. and test drive a few more....

Then start crossing cars off the list.

She doesnt want to lease.
Buying new.

Would like suggestions(and reasons why), but no VW.

I personally dont think she will be happy in the smaller vehicles, and with her age seat height and ease of entry to the vehicle is important..

Also visibility is a huge plus

Edit: Hoping to snag an elantra for her rental tomorrow.

Last edited:
Fusion-best "feel" to what she had before. UNLESS-she has trouble with ingress and egress-then I would go for one of the CUV's with the exception of the Subaru. Not a great vehicle for someone that age.

Mom is 73. She now lives with my brother (retired Miami P.O.) since our Pop passed.

She needed a vehicle as she is still very independent and you couldn't guess her age if you tried (thank goodness for her good health).

We got her a Honda HR-V. It was the easiest for her to get comfortable in, she drove it with confidence because of the raised seating position, the CVT doesn't bother her, the MPG is excellent and the crash tests show good results.

We were out the door at $20,800 with a 4-year maint plan / and 100,000 mile extended warranty.

Reactions: FZ1
Chevy equinox or Ford Escape because both are reliable, drive like cars, and are easy to get in and out of which is a huge plus for the elderly. A base model of either can be had for $20k usually.

Subaru Crosstrek? A bit higher up for her and her friends to get in and out of.
If you actually go down a size, like Versa, Fit, Sonic, many of those have higher seats, rooflines and are easier to get in and out of than a midsize or Corolla size car.

Buick Encore? I heard they are really cheap if you want it new, like 10k off MSRP cheap. Hyundai Sonata base model may also be in the range. Lots of choices if you don't mind compact, like, all of them within this price range.

Should be able to get a new Fusion easily in that price range.

I've been very impressed with the one that we bought last fall. 12,000 miles later and nothing but oil changes.

What about a used RAV4? Super reliable and can be had for WELL within your budget.

Originally Posted By: marine65
80+?
Time to stop driving.

No offense, but this should be ability based and I hope no one makes a flat decision about your driving when you turn a certain number.

Last edited:
Toyota Corolla LE with no extras, sort of fits with the others she had. Cars no one sees. You could run all the stop signs in town and no one will see it. They are made in USA and I believe have some new fangled sensors standard. It wouldn't hurt to have the front crash sensor this time around, why not. What's the next landmark age for her, 90.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Take her to drive a Subaru Forestor.

This was my first thought.
Lots of old gray heads in Foresters these days with good reason.

lots of advice, thanks guys but some doesnt fit the parameters.

Subaru Forester starts around $23000?(would have been my first choice)

Not too many new buicks or toyotas under $20000
encore is made in China, corolla she didnt like the styling.

Probably will start the test drives with the hyundai dealer
they have 2.0auto elantra for $12990 financed 0% for upto 6 years.(extra $$$ off for financing can pay off after 3 month)
Also has santa fe sport for 17990

The 15000-20000 budget cant balloon to 23000-24000 out the door.

Cruze was already on the list.

Fusion is pushing the budget looks like around 20800 was cheapest + fees.. but I havent looked real hard yet.
I agree fusion is pretty close to what she had only much nicer.

FWIW this was the first car accident in her entire life, and it was at a terrible intersection

One direction has obstructed view, other direction has turn only, and straight lanes.. people floor it to cut in from the turn only lane.

I bypass this intersection by making a few extra turns to get to a light. The one where the accident at is truely bad. IIRC There have even been 2 police cars hit there in the last 5 years or so.

The time to hang up the keys is not upon her. Also she doesnt drink or text.. so better than about 50% of the population right there
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I always thought that older women liked Buick's or Toyota's

Older people tend to like bigger cars because they're safer in an accident and they're more likely to be involved in an accident. I forget the age, but once over a certain threshold, they become as bad as teenage drivers. I believe there are certain driving assessment programs out there for seniors whose aim is to improve driving skills and determine if they should still be driving.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Toyota Corolla LE with no extras, sort of fits with the others she had. Cars no one sees. You could run all the stop signs in town and no one will see it. They are made in USA and I believe have some new fangled sensors standard. It wouldn't hurt to have the front crash sensor this time around, why not. What's the next landmark age for her, 90.

Im not a huge corolla fan, but for this situation, assuming she can get in and out easily, Id say this or a chevy cruze would be a good choice.

Back