Aftermarket Wheel Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short. I am spending more time driving and it will continue into the summer, so planning to pick a new set of aftermarket wheels for the Rio. Something a bit more sporty, fun, and good looking but aiming to avoid a harsher ride. What does the forum recommend for sizing? I have been happy with the ride of the 15" alloy wheels and love my tires, so leaning towards same size wheel. But what are arguments for moving up to 16 or 17? Also, any considerations for what I should look for in terms of manufacturer, process, strength, etc? Thanks in advance appreciate the wit and wisdom of everyone here!

There's really no reason to move up in tire size unless you want high-performance tires that aren't available in your original size.

Tire Rack has a brand of wheels called Radius that are made in Italy and don't cost too much
smile.gif

Aftermarket wheels are for looks. I prefer OEM as they're usually stronger than aftermarket. If you don't want a harsher ride, stick to oem. If you wanted a softer ride, go with higher sidewalls. Going to 16 or 17 means you have to go with a lower aspect ratio and that will lead to a harsher ride which some will refer to as more sporting. I feel that once you go below a 60's series tire, your risks for getting flat tires and rims go up. I've got 40's series on 18's on my Mercedes and so far I've had twp bent rim and one cracked rim. And about 4 flat tires, although one of them was repairable.

I agree with the above.

I'd personally stick with the OEM wheels. A larger rim may make the ride feel stiffer and less 'cushiony' but also puts a bit more load on your suspension parts. Tires will also be more expensive. OEM rims tends to be better quality unless you spend money for the higher-priced aftermarket brands.

Also if I buy an used car and see aftermarket rims, I would lower the value of the entire vehicle.

Last edited:
I put aftermarket aluminum wheels on my Fiesta with the OE tires. Part of the 1.0 Ecoboost package was the addtion of steel wheels and plastic covers, which was dumb. I just couldn't live like that.
The aluminum wheels are the same diameter, one half inch wider, half the weight, and of course they look much better. Not all aluminum wheels are lightweight, but I chose the lightest cast wheels that were a reasonable price. Forged wheels are a few pounds lighter, but cost 3x as much. There are plenty of great tire choices in the 15 inch diameter, so I am not worried. I don't like dodging potholes, either. I speed up for them.

Well, you cant have it all. I personally wouldnt go for 15 inch mags.. if you have steelies with 15 inch tires, I dont think 15 inch mags and tires will look good at all. If you are looking for aftermarket, it depends what you like in terms of look. I went 17's on my corolla and really liked it. Made the ride a bit stiffer but handling and cornering had much less body roll. To be honest, I liked the stiffer, firmer ride. I found more benefits than negatives on 17 inch rims/tires than the 15's I use in winter. You do need to do the proper research to ensure the right sized rims and tires. I learned the hard way that 225-45-17 and even 215-45-17 are slightly too wide and over dips in the road the back wheels would chafe the sidewalls. I ended up having a tire blowout on the highway and it ripped apart right where it chafed.. and it wasnt badly impacted, so be sure it doesnt rub or prepare to roll your fenders. Could of been very dangerous for me as I was going 70 mph on the highway. I would go 17's minimum. What is your stock tire size? Mine is 195-65-15 and I went to 225-45-15 and later switched to 215-45-17. Still rub a slight bit with 215's. You will feel the road more than with 15 inch tires, but if you go 205-50-17 it shouldnt be that bad. I found 45 profile to be just fine. Again, you may feel bumps a bit more, but it will be stiffer ride, less body roll when turning and more agile. If you dont want the firmer ride... might as well just keep using your current tires/wheels.

PS. I actually plan to buy a new car this year or next and was thinking of going with Nokian WRG3's for winter, how has your experience been with them in winter?

Last edited:
After market wheels CAN be lower quality than OEM, but that's anything but a blanket statement. Any flow formed wheel will be as strong or stronger than an oem alloy and forged wheels are certainly stronger.

For 16s or 17s unless you plan to spend $200 a wheel or more they will not be any better than oem and more than likely lower quality.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Well, you cant have it all. I personally wouldnt go for 15 inch mags.. if you have steelies with 15 inch tires, I dont think 15 inch mags and tires will look good at all. If you are looking for aftermarket, it depends what you like in terms of look. I went 17's on my corolla and really liked it. Made the ride a bit stiffer but handling and cornering had much less body roll. To be honest, I liked the stiffer, firmer ride. I found more benefits than negatives on 17 inch rims/tires than the 15's I use in winter. You do need to do the proper research to ensure the right sized rims and tires. I learned the hard way that 225-45-17 and even 215-45-17 are slightly too wide and over dips in the road the back wheels would chafe the sidewalls. I ended up having a tire blowout on the highway and it ripped apart right where it chafed.. and it wasnt badly impacted, so be sure it doesnt rub or prepare to roll your fenders. Could of been very dangerous for me as I was going 70 mph on the highway. I would go 17's minimum. What is your stock tire size? Mine is 195-65-15 and I went to 225-45-15 and later switched to 215-45-17. Still rub a slight bit with 215's. You will feel the road more than with 15 inch tires, but if you go 205-50-17 it shouldnt be that bad. I found 45 profile to be just fine. Again, you may feel bumps a bit more, but it will be stiffer ride, less body roll when turning and more agile. If you dont want the firmer ride... might as well just keep using your current tires/wheels.

PS. I actually plan to buy a new car this year or next and was thinking of going with Nokian WRG3's for winter, how has your experience been with them in winter?

I have 45's and 17's on the other car. Haven't had flat tires with it yet, but so far two bent rims. I think I went 10+ years with 16 inch and 60's series without any bent rims.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There's really no reason to move up in tire size unless you want high-performance tires that aren't available in your original size.

Tire Rack has a brand of wheels called Radius that are made in Italy and don't cost too much
smile.gif

Thanks for your advice! I tend to agree, and this is right around where I am thinking. OZ has some made in Italy that look good, too.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Aftermarket wheels are for looks. I prefer OEM as they're usually stronger than aftermarket. If you don't want a harsher ride, stick to oem. If you wanted a softer ride, go with higher sidewalls. Going to 16 or 17 means you have to go with a lower aspect ratio and that will lead to a harsher ride which some will refer to as more sporting. I feel that once you go below a 60's series tire, your risks for getting flat tires and rims go up. I've got 40's series on 18's on my Mercedes and so far I've had twp bent rim and one cracked rim. And about 4 flat tires, although one of them was repairable.

Bent rims are the thing that I am wondering about. As someone mentions below, OEM wheels tend to be stronger. I had 17s on my Mazda3 in the past and never liked the ride for longer drives but it was fun as [censored] to whip around in for fun.

Knock on wood - haven't bent a rim yet but one reason I am wondering about manufacturing process. No way I am going super cheap wheels but I also am trying to find the balance in not overspending for something I do not really *need.*

Originally Posted By: ruhroh

I agree with the above.

I'd personally stick with the OEM wheels. A larger rim may make the ride feel stiffer and less 'cushiony' but also puts a bit more load on your suspension parts. Tires will also be more expensive. OEM rims tends to be better quality unless you spend money for the higher-priced aftermarket brands.

Also if I buy an used car and see aftermarket rims, I would lower the value of the entire vehicle.

This is where I've always been on OEM wheels and never gone aftermarket. I do have alloys already and they work well enough - so why the need to switch? Pure vanity, but if I do, not going to be the absolute bottom tier. Just trying to gauge what a reasonable option looks like in terms of price and construction. And I agree aftermarket screams beater - but I will probably drive this until the end as I like it that much, so less worried about it. Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I put aftermarket aluminum wheels on my Fiesta with the OE tires. Part of the 1.0 Ecoboost package was the addtion of steel wheels and plastic covers, which was dumb. I just couldn't live like that.
The aluminum wheels are the same diameter, one half inch wider, half the weight, and of course they look much better. Not all aluminum wheels are lightweight, but I chose the lightest cast wheels that were a reasonable price. Forged wheels are a few pounds lighter, but cost 3x as much. There are plenty of great tire choices in the 15 inch diameter, so I am not worried. I don't like dodging potholes, either. I speed up for them.

Similar situation. Subcompact/compact cars wanting to get something not stock. Granted I have alloys at the moment, not steel, but they feel boring too. I am learning about the gravity cast v low pressure v forged and low pressure seems to be around where I am thinking, but trying to gauge is it stronger than the OEM wheels? Not sure and probably would not want something that isn't at least as strong. I like the 15s too, but not the potholes!

Originally Posted By: NewEnglander
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Similar situation. Subcompact/compact cars wanting to get something not stock. Granted I have alloys at the moment, not steel, but they feel boring too. I am learning about the gravity cast v low pressure v forged and low pressure seems to be around where I am thinking, but trying to gauge is it stronger than the OEM wheels? Not sure and probably would not want something that isn't at least as strong. I like the 15s too, but not the potholes!

I am an absolute Nokian convert. The WRG3s are the best tires I've ever rolled in for Nor'Easters around Boston. I'm not sure I've ever slipped even once, and this is coming from someone that was always an "all season" tire guy. These are the real all season tires as far as I'm concerned. I think you'd end up in the new line though, the WRG4s, which will be my next set once the Hyundai retires in the next year or two. Can't recommend enough.

I'm not a big believer in larger rim sizes doing much for small cars. If you want sporty handling get some summer tires. Save the WRG3;s for the winter and get some light OE 15" Miata rims with some decent rubber. I have BFG sport comp2's on the Focus for the summer for autocross and they stick pretty darn good on the street, especially coming from an all weather tire. Mine are on track for 36k miles even with 24 autocross's on them as well so they will save your existing tires for a few summers atleast.

Originally Posted By: NewEnglander
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Thanks for your advice! I tend to agree, and this is right around where I am thinking. OZ has some made in Italy that look good, too.

I have OZ David 17 inch rims. Wife hit a crater on a country road and bent a rim beyond repair. It was just past the yellow line on the road otherwise I never had issues hitting any other potholes and Montreal is reknowned for terrible roads.

I would only get aftermarket rims if I had steelies. Otherwise get new tires and enjoy. You will not enjoy driving more with new rims. Maybe smoother riding touring tires.

If you do get rims watch out for the offset.

I got 2nd rims for snow tires. But that was so I could swap back and forth without remounting tires.

Just keep in mind even going up an inch in diameter can make your car look like a 4x4. If you increase the size, you might need suspension mods unless you like the look or want the ground clearance.

Kia probably has a nice upgraded rim that will fit perfect...check the offset...buy refurbished...do the dd first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back