To change oil or not? PSD 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 F550 6.7 with really low mileage. Only has 26500 kms on it. It sits in a heated garage most of the time. Gets used mainly in the summer to tow a telehandler or for camping duties. Oil is changed at the dealer using delvac 5w-40 synthetic. Oil was changed about 2.5 years ago. But it only has 5000 kms on the oil. What’s your opinion on changing oil on these? Around here people are crazy and say that you have to change oil every 8k kms max or 6 months. And that’s pushing it. They would rather you change every 5k kms. And fuel filters every 10k kms...

The truck has an oil life monitor but it has never gone off saying to change the oil. It’s out of warranty not based on time alone. It’s one of those things - it’s a tool. When I need it I need it to work. Just looking for opinions on these so I can learn more about it. It will likely be used more in the coming year then in the past.

Dumping oil at 3k miles is a no for me. A synthetic at that milage is a [censored] no.

I would change it. Edmonton winters, especially if it has been through the temperature fluctuations, without being started would cause all kinds of condensation. Every 2.5 years shouldn't break the bank. The oil change will be less than the cost of filling the tank a single time.

Last edited:
It’s not really the cost of changing the oil or not. It’s a tool for work. I just don’t like to waste resources. It’s good oil that we use in it. And I believe that this engine is pretty easy on oil. No short trips in this truck. When it’s out it is being used, typically loaded up to the max gvwr. It’s just weird that the iolm has not gone off. I’ve asked the dealer before to check it and they told me that the system is working properly. But it does not give me a % just says that the oil life is “ok”.

How many quarts does it take? I bet a lot.

edit: Just looked it up, my guess was 12 but it is 13.1 or 12.4 L. Another reason to keep it in. Not like we're talking 4 qts that a Corolla takes. Changes things a bit.

Last edited:
This is a perfect situation for a UOA. Sending a sample will be less than OC, especially . If the oil is serviceable, no speculation will be able to say otherwise. This is a perfect thread to fit AZjeff's signature: Why know when you can guess?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
This is a perfect situation for a UOA. Sending a sample will be less than OC, especially . If the oil is serviceable, no speculation will be able to say otherwise. This is a perfect thread to fit AZjeff's signature: Why know when you can guess?

This. Only way to know for sure.

Too most of the people on here it is a sin to ever change your oil. Just run it till the engine drops and go buy a new truck. Then you get to brag about how you ran the oil for 10 years. Also when you trade in a vehicle brag to them how you only changed the oil once in the life of the car and see if that impresses the dealer. I bet he gives you $5,000 more for trade in with that statement. Let me tell you this. YOU are the one that is going to pay the bill on this if anything goes wrong. Nobody on this forum is. Tell the warranty guy how you have not changed the oil in 5 years and then ask if he going warranty it because some guys on this site said you didn't have to.

I appreciate the insight guys! I’m probably just going to end up changing the oil sooner then later. I wouldn’t mind doing a uoa. But they have gotten pricey locally. $55 seems to be the going rate with tbn... might be better to just put that towards the oil change. Again with synthetic 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

This. Only way to know for sure.

I have said this so many times as well ...

Why guess when you can know?

Originally Posted By: advocate
I appreciate the insight guys! I’m probably just going to end up changing the oil sooner then later. I wouldn’t mind doing a uoa. But they have gotten pricey locally. $55 seems to be the going rate with tbn... might be better to just put that towards the oil change. Again with synthetic 5w-40.

Try Napa if you have them up there. The UOA kits are a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back