Would you buy a new model car or wait??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say a new model car/truck/SUV with a new designed engine/transmission. Would you wait 6 months to see if there are issues or recalls or TSB? Or would you wait for the following year. Or just buy it and see what happens

Last edited:
Waiting is the smart thing to do... Sure cars have warranties, but who wants to buy a new car then need to bring it back for a host of things?

I've seen quite a few examples of first year bugs they work out by the next model year or so.

Depends. I believe that today, with computer simulations and all the insane testing machines the manufacturers utilize to perfect their equipment, I would be more inclined to buy a first run model than say, twenty years ago, but usually, I'm not that on the ball. My last two trucks were a '99 Yukon, last run of that body and an '09 Suburban. The third year in.
Funny... I was ready to buy a new truck in 07-08 but I hated the new body styles. It took it three years to grow on me.

I would wait until 2020 or later models come out. They will hold their value better than pre-2020s, because buyers perception of age.

I wouldn't wait, I don't think it's an issue. If I'm gonna spend money on a new car, I'd gather it not be long in the tooth already.

My Sonata is one of the earliest 15' models (new design) and it's been fine.

My grandparent's Trailblazer was a 2002 (1st year for Trailblazer) and it was fine too.

I will only buy the 3rd year and later. Even if the first model is "fine", all makers typically make adjustments and enhancements in the next few years, then the changes levels off. For example, they might add 5-10 HP, or they might update the front grill, etc.

I want to wait and don't...both of my last two vehicles were the first year of a new design (2006 RAV4 V6, 2014 Forester XT). My Forester had a transmission issue that maybe have been prevented by a filter that was added to the CVT in later 2014s, but at least it was fixed on Subaru's dime. We'll see if the issue comes back...
My wife's Avalon was also the first year of a new design, but she has had zero issues with it.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Depends. I believe that today, with computer simulations and all the insane testing machines the manufacturers utilize to perfect their equipment, I would be more inclined to buy a first run model than say, twenty years ago, but usually, I'm not that on the ball. My last two trucks were a '99 Yukon, last run of that body and an '09 Suburban. The third year in.
Funny... I was ready to buy a new truck in 07-08 but I hated the new body styles. It took it three years to grow on me.

Actually the opposite is true. Manufacturers rely too much on computer anylisis and simulations and not enough on actual testing, since it's much cheaper and faster. The field testing is done by customers now for the non mission critical systems, usually options and gadgets.

6 months is not enough IMo, I would wait at least two years, preferably untill mid model refresh shows up. Sort of like waiting for new Windows until service pack 1.

I have bought 2 new vehicles in the 29 years I've been driving. The 2000 Golf GLS TDi was new that year as an automatic and so I got the extended warranty, but ended up selling the car less then 2 years later as we wanted to grow our family and put the car payment money into a house payment.

My next new vehicle was my 2015 Frontier which has a very well established history and is widely used as a delivery vehicle. They had their problems and they were corrected. In 48k miles I have needed zero repairs. This also means my truck looks like every other 2009+ Frontier and very much like the 2005-2008 models. Fashion and gadgets are not a priority. Reliability, utility and fuel economy are all important to me.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Let's say a new model car/truck/SUV with a new designed engine/transmission.
Would you wait 6 months to see if there are issues or recalls or TSB? Or would you wait for the following year. Or just buy it and see what happens

Wait until the year end sales arrive, and the dealers have too many cars on their lots.

BC.

I learned that lesson a ling time ago.
Never buy a first year anything, unless you like being an unreimbursed product tester.
I like going about three years out. Trends have been established, it is easy to see the weaknesses of the platform in question, and by then; hopefully, those deficiencies have been addressed.

I'd wait, more than 6 months, probably a year maybe two. The last thing I want to do is be a real world product tester, paying to do the testing.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Wait. Don't want to be the experiment.
Agree 100 %. Example Ford 5r55s and 5r55w I believe 2002-2010 transmission issues. They did fix the issues by not making the trans any more. 4.0 sohc timing chain issues also fixed the issue they stopped making the engine. Question is why should it take 8 years???

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I believe that today, with computer simulations and all the insane testing machines the manufacturers utilize to perfect their equipment, I would be more inclined to buy a first run model than say, twenty years ago, but usually, I'm not that on the ball.

My guess is not everything can be tested via computer simulations. Some things will only be uncovered after extensive field tests which are both expensive and time consuming. With the way technology progresses today, manufacturers don't want to wait. They just want to get a new product out to the market ASAP in order to beat their competition.

So yes, in some ways, the first consumers are testers. For that reason, I would definitely skip first model year.

I'm conservative and would wait. I briefly (very briefly) had my eye on a "whammy" Focus with the "old" 2.0 liter N/A that they were trying to sell next to the 1-liter ecoboost.

On the flipside my Mom bought one of the first 2002 Camrys with the then-brand new 2AZFE engine and it's still rocking 240k later in my abusive hands.
19.gif

Probably at least a year or two even when you're buying used. Computer simulations won't catch design defects or manufacturing problems. I'd say either the 3rd year of a new body style or the first year of a refreshed body style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back