Kawasaki Versys 650 -Amsoil 10W-40 SyntheticMetric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I just bought up a 2017 Kawasaki Versys lt 650 Saturday and hope to pick it up this Tuesday. Got the silver looking model.It`s brand new from the dealer. Being the LT model it comes with nice hard bags and hand guards. If anybody has recommendation on an aftermarket seat or windshield chime in. I won`t know if I will do either but I will keep a notice on the recommendation just in case.I`ve read a lot of reviews and saw You Tube videos and pretty much all like them.It was marked down 1300 bucks from original price, I suppose because the 2018 models are coming out.

@Jimkobb
Try www.kawasakiversys.com

Great website - lots of good information about the 650 Versys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
I just bought up a 2017 Kawasaki Versys lt 650 Saturday and hope to pick it up this Tuesday. Got the silver looking model.It`s brand new from the dealer. Being the LT model it comes with nice hard bags and hand guards. If anybody has recommendation on an aftermarket seat or windshield chime in. I won`t know if I will do either but I will keep a notice on the recommendation just in case.I`ve read a lot of reviews and saw You Tube videos and pretty much all like them.It was marked down 1300 bucks from original price, I suppose because the 2018 models are coming out.

@Jimkobb

I've got 5800 miles on my 2016 Versys 650 LT. I bought a Givi shield for $120. Best shield I ever bought. I don't like the seat. If you find a keeper, please share.

Originally Posted By: David_g
Originally Posted By: b3d3g1
Owners manual actually states 1.9 quarts with filter change.
I think service manual states something like 2.3 or 2.4 quarts on a dry engine.

It's been awhile since I owned one, but I think if you rock it back and forth while draining it will be over two quarts easily. Let it drain on the sidestand. Then tip the bike to the right, and more will come out. Back to the left, and more comes out, back to the right, etc.

When you're having the oil analyzed it's gotta help to get rid of as much as possible of the old. Especially if it's got break-in debris.
Mine gets 2.5 quarts with filter, and I do slowly rotate it left, and right to get a good drain.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Originally Posted By: kballowe

@Jimkobb

I've got 5800 miles on my 2016 Versys 650 LT. I bought a Givi shield for $120. Best shield I ever bought. I don't like the seat. If you find a keeper, please share.

I just did a modify on my stock seat and I think it has made a nice improvement. I took the cover off and shaved down the part of the seat where my bottom hits. I did the front rise earlier with a flat bar and some washers to raise that about 9/16 of an inch. Got a handlebar riser ordered on Ebay so I will see how that plays out. Also ordered a Puig 9421 windshield , I may see that tommorow.Also ordered some cheap foam grip covers and foam lever covers off Ebay. Those may take a week to get here.I have got 200 miles on the new 2017 now but it has been too cool here to really enjoy a ride.

I would not think once about the oil capacity of that engine. KTM proved 30 years ago with the LC4 engine that a high revving 600+cc engine can get by excellently on 2 quarts of oil, or even less.

I get the harshness/clunky feeling in the gearbox when the oil is getting old as well. I've been running Rotella T4, and I change the oil at about 2000 miles, or whenever I feel like its getting clunky. I really don't think you'll get 5000 miles on the T4, but let me know what you think! It may be that I'm one who changes his oil far too often. I'll be interested in your results.

I change my filter every other drain. I have been using the Fram Ultra/Pro Synthetic that I bought in a case of 12 on ebay. The filters for my '11 Honda Fit, and my previous '05 Honda Civic fit the 2011 Versys. I like the extra volume and filtration capacity. Plus its just nice to have the same filter for two vehicles.

I've read a lot of UOAs in wet clutch applications and Amsoil appears to be one of the best with respect to resisting shear.

Metals are trending down, looking good. I wouldn't change anything if you like Amsoil.

I suspect Rotella will end up in the 10.x cst range, if you're ok with that.

I've decided on 20w50 conventional in the DL650 for the summer months to keep the oil a 40 weight for the majority of the interval.

FWIW, in this link, the Rotella T5 15w40 held grade in my ZRX1200 over a 3700 mile OCI. Only oil of the bunch I have tested to stay in grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/Kawasaki_ZRX1200_Various_UOA's#Post4371237

Originally Posted By: Bonz
FWIW, in this link, the Rotella T5 15w40 held grade in my ZRX1200 over a 3700 mile OCI. Only oil of the bunch I have tested to stay in grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/Kawasaki_ZRX1200_Various_UOA's#Post4371237

I noticed that. Interesting. Would be good to see a repeat test. I wonder what makes the T5 special?

Thank you for your post. I have a 10 model Versys 650, bought used, that I have now put about 6K miles on. When i bought it the guy just had the oil changed. I have no idea what was in it. I ran that for about 2K miles. It seemed fine but i noticed I would miss a gear from 1 to 2 every so often. After about 2K miles I changed it to Rotella T3 15w40. The shifting improved and it felt a lot better. Unfortunately after only about 1000 miles, I noticed the notchy shifting and gear missing started to return. I changed it out to something, and it worked great all the way up to 3K miles where i changed it again. The reason I don't know what I put in it is because i have Pennzoil Platinum 5w50 wrote in my maintenance log. I have no idea why i would use this because i bought some Valvoline VR1 20w50, on clearance, to use in this bike. Either way, one of the two oils were in there and they held up much longer than the Rotella did. I used the Rotella because i have a large stash of it that i use in all my ATV's, motorcycles, and all OPE. I have no idea why the shifting gets notchy like it does, maybe it just sheers down enough to make a difference.

In terms of shifting, the best oil I have run today is what is currently in my ZRX 1200. It is Mobil 1 10W40 4T. 4200 miles and just starting to feel it might losing a bit of smoothness. Gonna do an oil change soon, will post up the UOA results once I have them.

That Kawasaki parallel twin has been around for years in various forms and in various bikes. It's a great engine that is economical, light weight, enough punch to keep you happy and it goes on forever.

I had an early version of that engine in a GPZ 500S (Ninja) plus it appeared in a LTD 450 cruiser. They only thing I ever had to do beyond oils changes (and crash damage) was a new cam chain at some stage.

I used a Castrol 10W40 synthetic that gave me good gear changes for 5k miles. A 15W40 HDEO would be another good choice.

For my GPZ 500S the light weight, large fuel tank, great fuel economy and good ergonomics made it a surprisingly good mile muncher. I travel very light (spare socks & jocks, tooth brush & credit card) and over a long day 8+ hours I would most often out distance many bigger bikes, mostly due to fueling up less often.

Opened up to 650 cc and put in a Versys type of general package makes sense to me. Only two things missing when I looked at one in a bike shop, a centre stand for easy maintenance & stable parking out bush, plus a large fuel tank to make it a better adventure bike & mile muncher.

I would happily buy a new Versys today, just to ride that engine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back