Spark Plug Gap weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Looking to replace the plugs in My 2014 Kia Rio. I was looking at the plugs on Rock Auto. All the iridium plugs (Denso, NGK, Champion, Autolite, etc.) have different spark plug gaps. Anywhere from .032 to .044. I was thinking of going with the autolites as there is an active rebate. They say .044 gap. Why aren't they all the same?

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Hi all. Looking to replace the plugs in My 2014 Kia Rio. I was looking at the plugs on Rock Auto. All the iridium plugs (Denso, NGK, Champion, Autolite, etc.) have different spark plug gaps. Anywhere from .032 to .044. I was thinking of going with the autolites as there is an active rebate. They say .044 gap. Why aren't they all the same?

Because they are just generic plugs, not specifically for your vehicle. Use what is listed under your hood, or in the owners manual. Many Iridium plugs can not be gapped though.

Most fine-wire iridium plugs have a .40 or .44 gap if the factory gap is lower and the factory plug was copper/nickel/platinum.

The finer electrode of the iridium VS factory means you can run a higher gap with no ill effects. Iridium doesn't really erode either, so you don't need a smaller, less optimal starting gap to account for service life.

Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like no matter what I buy, stick with the gap listed under the hood. I'll have to see what that is for my car. I "think" my car comes with NGK's but not sure. My wife's Hyundai came with Denso.

Get the NGK. It's the actual OE spark plugs
smile.gif

I thought this is weird too. in the early 2000's I put Iridium in my 96 civic. The guy at the autoparts store assured me they are pre-gapped/do not gap them... and that I am good to go. after two distributors failed I took them out .. stuck with the OEM brand and gap size since for safe measure.

Gap to vehicle spec, not what the plug says it is gapped to.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The finer electrode of the iridium VS factory means you can run a higher gap with no ill effects.

+100

I'd put in the same as the factory used be it NGK or whatever. The manufactures spend thousands of hours testing their engines and I don't want to try to outguess them. Life is too short. Ed

Factory plugs are your safest bet. Our 2006 TSX came from the factory with 2 Densos and 2 NGKs.
I am so confused.
So I use 2 of each; in the proper cylinder, to this day.
Just sayin...

I recently replaced the plugs (and coil packs) on my daily driver.
Removed Denso TT (Twin Tip - each plug has two iridium tips) and installed NGK Iridium.
So far so good, but I'll probably pull the NGK's around 40-50k on them (unless something happens sooner) and at least take a eyeball peek on them.

Rock auto has both the NGK and Denso for my car. I’ll just grab a set of one of them and gap per my owners manual. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back