Dexos Oil

Does this oil have any effects on the internal moving parts of a GM engine? If the internal parts aren't lubricated by a required Dexos oil, will the engine blow up, seize up, cause internal parts to fail, cause the bearings to score, etc.?

OK, I rest my case...

Have you read a GM owner's manual ?

My Colorado specs Dexos 2, but accepts ACEA C3.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
OK, I rest my case...

No, because I don't own any GM vehicles.
But, I did read this on the interweb and find it hard to believe;
Randall McFarland on January 7, 2017 at 4:08 pm said:
I bought my 2012 chevy avalanche[54,000 miles]at a ford garage, they had changed the oil[synthetic blend] and filter with motorcraft, with still 500 miles left before oil change was due, my oil pressure dropped to near zero. And yes the oil level was good. Changed the oil to a brand with dexos and its back between 40 and 60 psi. I will use oil w/dexos in my chevy from now on. It says dexos on the oil fill cap for a reason.

I am pretty much a believer in a wide range of viscosities for any engine but I believe aside form the dumb cafe rules, GM was motivated by the horrible experience they had with the infamous AFM cylinder deactivation problems in trucks up to 2014 with 5.3 liter engines. Part of the solution was a complete re-design and the use of lighter synthetic oils. Billy Bob kept trying to run 40 weight conventional oil in those trucks with disastrous results involving failed lifters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
OK, I rest my case...

I bought my 2012 chevy avalanche[54,000 miles]at a ford garage, they had changed the oil[synthetic blend] and filter with motorcraft, with still 500 miles left before oil change was due, my oil pressure dropped to near zero. And yes the oil level was good. Changed the oil to a brand with dexos and its back between 40 and 60 psi. I will use oil w/dexos in my chevy from now on. It says dexos on the oil fill cap for a reason.

OK, this is the same interweb that you read that 0W40 would destroy engines that specced lower grades ?

Having started the thread, you then called for closure, and step out lest you carry out autoban sepuku.

Do you HONESTLY believe that what you included there, underline is in the remotest chance possible ?

Can you describe any thought process that you have that would make that plausible ?

OK, I rest my case...

This one is easy. The screen below the pressure sensor got clogged and the thinner synthetic oil that happened to be Dexos unclogged the screen allowing pressure to the sensor.

OK, I rest my case...

OK, this is the same interweb that you read that 0W40 would destroy engines that specced lower grades ?

Having started the thread, you then called for closure, and step out lest you carry out autoban sepuku.

Do you HONESTLY believe that what you included there, underline is in the remotest chance possible ?

Can you describe any thought process that you have that would make that plausible ?

I think you follow me around, to try and get me to say something to get me banned. I only have 2 options from getting banned because of you and your ANTAGONIZING replies;
1) Put you on ignore.
2) Just not respond to you.
Tell me, which choice would you make?

OK, I rest my case...

I think you follow me around, to try and get me to say something to get me banned. I only have 2 options from getting banned because of you and your ANTAGONIZING replies;
1) Put you on ignore.
2) Just not respond to you.
Tell me, which choice would you make?

I'd seek help...

Does this oil have any effects on the internal moving parts of a GM engine? If the internal parts aren't lubricated by a required Dexos oil, will the engine blow up, seize up, cause internal parts to fail, cause the bearings to score, etc.?

GM thinks so. At least enough to affect warranty claims, customer satisfaction, and general (no pun intended) internet reputation.

When GM created dexos, they had several goals:

1. Globally simplify oil specs. That makes it less likely the wrong oil gets put in.

2. Reduce warranty claims from oil problems. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B6SHa4qv60 for the concerns. Willis mentions a few.
GM knows that everytime LSPI destroys pistons, or AFM systems gum-up, or rings fail, etc., warranty claims go up AND the internet airs their dirty laundry.

3. Apply the dexos-spec fees to pay for some engine research.

4. Extend the length of OCI's for fleet & general customer satisfaction and to avoid government pressure for ecological concerns (California's push).

This is GM becoming more like the Germans. The Germans have had very tough specs for years, and now GM realizes their own engines are being used hard too, especially as more downsizing with DI and turbos proliferate.

Another thread that demonstrates either a complete inability to think critically or a penchant for trolling. I'd follow Shannon's advice, BOF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Another intelligent thread. I'd follow Shannon's advice, BOF.

Ah, another follower. My advice to you, don't read my posts.
I did get help at my local VA. But, the voices are overpowering my thoughts.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Another intelligent thread. I'd follow Shannon's advice, BOF.

Ah, another follower. My advice to you, don't read my posts.
I did get help at my local VA. But, the voices are overpowering my thoughts.
grin.gif

I sure am glad we have that NOTIFY button.

OK, I rest my case...

I trust everything i read on the internet just as I would the National Enquirer or the British press. Ten pounds of salt may not be enough. It is not reliable and full of bull hockey.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
OK, I rest my case...

I trust everything i read on the internet just as I would the National Enquirer or the British press. Ten pounds of salt may not be enough. It is not reliable and full of bull hockey.

That's just it. I was making a point NOT to believe it.
Tell me, please, what's wrong with my Dexos Q? GM states to keep a GM engine under warranty you must use Dexos oil. Why? Does other oil cause the problems I listed in my Q? Or, is it just to SATISFY GM?

I have a problem with Dexos Gen 1 or 2 just in general. What has been added to the specs to make it better?? What has been removed from Gen 1-2 to make it worse. We know additives have been removed for direct injection issues. Is my QSUD just as durable as pre gen 2 ???. Does GM have that much pull to have oil specs changed??. I get their pull comes from car sales. I also get oil companys are never going to make oil for every car manufacturers. Just for laughs what would happen if Ford
and Chrysler said we do not recommend Dexos and will not honor warranty issues if used. I also think BlueOvalFitter question is a fair question. Is there something so special with dexos that running a non dexos oil in a GM will cause damage to the engine?

Originally Posted By: csandste
I thought your question was good.
It was good, agreed.

BlueOval, I'd view this in terms of probability.
The probability of an engine failure does go up when you don't use a true dexos oil. Its not a certainty that your engine will have problems, but GM is trying to minimize the 1-percenters from having problems and causing PR situations & warranty costs.

I had a conversation with some SAE engineers a few years ago about "company reputation" in the marketplace, and how better engineering helps. I think we concluded that, in this competitive market, an automaker needs to at least try to minimize failures of those 1% problem engines out there. It should be pointed out that oil isn't the only way to improve reputation, as we know, but its ONE of the ways to reduce the frequency of being an internet sensation for the wrong reasons!

Back