Home defence Alfoil ball ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice idea. I like00 buck. If you want to see something cool check out Flechettes aka Satin's Toothpicks.

I've tried compressed aluminium foil "crumple" bound with veg oil as a body filler. Seems to work, and have some potential, but I don't do cosmetic repairs so I havn't tested it extensively.

If I ever have to make, say, an intake manifold, as in replacing my dodgy Aisin carburettor with 3 Nikei almost-like-SU-that-I-almost-understand-and-can-adjust motorcycle carbs, that might be a useful role for it.

As a projectile I think you'd need to be pretty close to the target. Wasn't clear from the video if it was spreading on impact dum-dum stylee, but it'd seem a possibility, though even then I'd doubt it offers any real advantage over casting the aluminium.

I think you can get lead foil that might be more effective. Wern't toothpaste tubes made out of some kind of heavy foil in the '50's/60's?

Incidentally from the chat on the range the guys seemed to be saying there was a "trend" for Americans to say (and presumably spell) aluminium correctly ("That's what the kids are calling it").

Whatever next?

Two ball thing, perhaps you could link them with some kevlar cord, give you something like chain shot.

I suppose amphibious landings from model saiboats aren't a big home invasion hazard. Might be effective against UAV's though.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Two ball thing, perhaps you could link them with some kevlar cord, give you something like chain shot.

They are one of my favourite channels...here you go

Aerodynamic drag from the link probably pulls the shot together. Perhaps a spring might work better?

Remember home defense can get tricky,,,I do not have any perfect answers ,,,,A good old Mossberg 12 ga works for us,,,pump and go....

Originally Posted By: Ws6
That looks really terrible. No more of a "footprint" than a slug, but with absolute [censored] for accuracy.

At home defense range, (10 yards / 30 feet), it was right in the boiler room. Can't ask for more than that.

I thought about loading with rock salt. Less lethal and more painful. Win win.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

I think rock salt is more wives tale than anything. According to this test, you'd have to be within 10-12 feet for the salt to have enough energy to penetrate skin. That's way too close for comfort, although possible in a home defense situation.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-33-rock-salt-in-a-shotgun/

I get your less lethal being a win comment. However, if a bad guy is in my house and lethal force was justified, I'd rather scrape his remains off the walls than make him mad with some salt on the skin.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Shannow do you guys say Aluminium or Aluminum?

Aluminium, like titanium

That's why I stuck with "Alfoil"

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Remember home defense can get tricky,,,I do not have any perfect answers ,,,,A good old Mossberg 12 ga works for us,,,pump and go....

Agree.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Shannow do you guys say Aluminium or Aluminum?

Aluminium, like titanium

That's why I stuck with "Alfoil"

Like I said above, there's some chat on the first vid linked that suggests there's a trend in the US to say it correctly. ("That's what the kids are calling it"). Hard to believe but it doesn't really work as a joke.

If true, this could be bigger than Woodstock. Young America turning its back on the benighted ignorance of generations.

Imagine what could happen if they started, like, voting and stuff.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

I think rock salt is more wives tale than anything. According to this test, you'd have to be within 10-12 feet for the salt to have enough energy to penetrate skin. That's way too close for comfort, although possible in a home defense situation.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-33-rock-salt-in-a-shotgun/

I get your less lethal being a win comment. However, if a bad guy is in my house and lethal force was justified, I'd rather scrape his remains off the walls than make him mad with some salt on the skin.

I have no idea how I can shoot someone at >10' at my house. I am not rich. For anything further I'd just use my pistol, same reason I dont have my awkward shotgun around, actually.

Just my opinion(for what it's worth) but "less lethal" rounds for home defense are a legal battle I don't really want to test.

Any way you slice it, pointing a loaded gun at someone is lethal force. Remember that even blanks can be deadly at close range(10 ft. is getting inside the range where that's possible). As the Box of Truth shows(going on memory since it's been a few years since reading their write up) and from my own experience, the plastic wadding is a pretty vicious projectile in its own right at close range.

We don't have a "continuum of force" or whatever you want to call it like the police do. At home, either deadly force is justified or it's not. Of course, if you have to fire the gun your objective is to stop the immediate threat(something which is often deadly). Basically, at home, our escalation is pointing the gun, and if that doesn't stop the threat then firing the gun. Intentionally shooting to wound can get into really shaky legal ground(in this non-lawyer's opinion) as you're recognizing that lethal force is not justified.

My general opinion is leave the bean bags, rubber balls, and whatever other "less lethal" shotgun rounds you can think up to the police. For your home shotgun, use whatever shotgun load you think will get the job done if you need it. I've settled on smallish buckshot(#4 or so) since it will still penetrate decently and also runs 25 pellets to a shell as opposed to 9 for #00. I worry about over-penetration with #00 or with slugs.

Maybe if the balls had different masses? Say the lead ball was lighter, it'd slow down faster and maybe set up a rotation. Might affect accuracy though.

A British SAM of the 60's (Bloodhound?) had a warhead containing linked rods which expanded into a wing-cutting ring on detonation. That might work as a very close range shotgun projectile but it'd slow down very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back