Anyone use GrillGrates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those cost more than I paid for my grill(on winter clearance)

I paid 110$ for a stok quattro.. would cost me 170+ for those grates.

I like flare ups. Makes everything taste flame kissed and makes the fat on steak taste wonderful.

This product seems like it turns your BBQ into an oven. I don't need multiple sources of clean dry heat.

I get that they are anodized but they is going to get damaged for sure if you use metal utensils, which you almost have to on a BBQ. I would not use them because they are made of aluminum.

Those GrillGrates look like they could turn the cheapest gas grille into a real grate grille. I will remember these. I like to spell grille with an e.

Im confident they are good. I typically trust amazingribs.com for advice. However, i do feel they are heavily overpriced. I have an old BBQ and I just picked up some cheap grates from walmart for 5$ each that you just put on top of the cast iron grates, they dont replace the grates.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm fed up with cast iron grill grates. I would like to replace them with "GrillGrates". Anyone using them? Is cooking on aluminum ok? (I think its anodized)

There is such a thing as anodized aluminum cookware that some people buy.

What's wrong with cast iron? Don't like the maintenance?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I'm fed up with cast iron grill grates. I would like to replace them with "GrillGrates". Anyone using them? Is cooking on aluminum ok? (I think its anodized)

There is such a thing as anodized aluminum cookware that some people buy.

What's wrong with cast iron? Don't like the maintenance?

The maintenance was bad, the rust was worse. Brand new Sams Club $400 grill. I followed the seasoning instructions. Constantly spraying them, keeping them lubed up. But in the spring when I took the cover off they were rotted like a 54 chevy.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I like flare ups. Makes everything taste flame kissed and makes the fat on steak taste wonderful.

This product seems like it turns your BBQ into an oven. I don't need multiple sources of clean dry heat.

Flare ups are a big problem because of where the grill resides. So windy on my deck sometimes the burners blow out. So I was thinking these would help.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I get that they are anodized but they is going to get damaged for sure if you use metal utensils, which you almost have to on a BBQ. I would not use them because they are made of aluminum.

That was my concern as well. I heard somewhere aluminum was bad to cook on. But then I see expensive aluminum sets with famous names on them. Assume they would not want their name on a potentially dangerous cookware.

Rachael Ray Aluminum cookware set.

Given your rust problem during the Winter, perhaps storing just the grates in the garage would prevent rust? Covering metal with a non-breathable cover traps condensation and invites problems.

There's no problem with cooking on aluminum, unless you're cooking something highly acidic such as a long-simmered red sauce, which you won't be on a grill. The first popular anodized aluminum cookware was Calphalon, made in Toledo. I have a lot of experience with it. It cooks well, but the anodizing won't last too long. When it debuted, it was brutally expensive for what it is (IMO). I've cooked with Grill Grates (on a PK grill) and they seem to work okay, but personally I think they're too expensive for what they offer, and they're hard as heck to clean. Additionally, you cannot convince me that website you mentioned doesn't have a vested interest. They remind me of Cook's Illustrated with Victorinox Forschner.
Having said that, if you can fade the price, I say go for it. There is certainly no need to fear for your health.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

That was my concern as well. I heard somewhere aluminum was bad to cook on. But then I see expensive aluminum sets with famous names on them. Assume they would not want their name on a potentially dangerous cookware.

Rachael Ray Aluminum cookware set.

I might have to look into these.
Speaking of aluminum cookware, this is what we use down here in Cajun Country, exclusively, when we're not using cast iron.

https://www.shopworldkitchen.com/magnalite/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back