Will you ever buy a new car again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new car? No. Never.

A new truck? Maybe.

Considering that I tend to keep vehicles for over 10 years (current daily driver is at 12 years), buying new makes sense. The residual on trucks is so high, that a three year old truck isn't that much cheaper than new.

If I was smart, I'd get in on the 72 month financing at 0%, before it goes away. To me, 6 years doesn't matter, since I'll keep it for at least double that.

For me, the math worked out that a new Outback was going to cost less over a 15 year service life than almost all used SUV's. And then 1% financing lets you keep most of your $30k making money for you. Japanese SUV's depreciate like 4x4 pickups so often it makes more sense to buy new.
For cars that depreciate alot, I will always buy used. $22k for a new Corolla makes no sense to be compared to $9k for a 2 year old Cruze.

A buddy of mine owns a Chevy dealership,,,if I ever buy a new one, it will be there,,,but I do not see me getting a new one,,,I try to follow Dave Ramsey on that,,,use is ok with me..

I've bought three new cars. In the case of the Club Sport, it was a limited edition(less than 400 built) and I wanted a specific option set; so far, so good at almost 23 years of ownership. The Mazdaspeed 3 was a similar situation; in 2007 there no used ones available and I wanted a specific trim level and color- I kept it for 8 1/2 years. The third new car was another ti; we bought it for my wife at a fairly steep discount. We would have kept it much longer had we not unexpectedly needed a larger car.
Having said all that, I usually buy a CPO car and hold on to it for 8-10 years.
Although I'll admit that it is tempting to order an M240i or M2 built to my specs- particularly without a hole in the roof.

I love a new vehicle about every 8-10 years. I can afford to pay cash and do so unless I can get a 0.5% financing. My vehicle is my main hobble so I don't view it as money down-the-drain. ed

The first car that I paid for was a used 08 Focus that I bought when I was in college. It had 36k miles on it. I needed something inexpensive, reliable and good on gas since I bought the car while I was in college. In 2013, I kept the Focus but leased a 2013 Fusion for 24 months. The lease was nice having a new car but only having a 21k mileage limit was a real bummer. It was too expensive to keep leasing cars especially when I like modding too much. I turned in the lease and ordered a 2015 Fusion which I financed. I gave my mom the Focus with 147k miles that never gave me a problem and picked up my new Fusion. I love having a new car because it comes with a full warranty and you know from the get go that it has been maintained. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off and for my next car, I'm looking for a new Expedition. I like buying new and keeping it for 10+ years. I drive a lot and take really good car of my cars. I don't really look at resale when I shop because I don't have any intentions of selling.

No need to buy a new car if you're patient and willing to look around. I found my car after a couple months of searching. only had 9k miles and was fully loaded. granted, i had to drive 3 hours to get it, but i got a [censored] of a deal.

No, i don't like modern cars at all, they're being engineered and built as throwaway appliances that get junked once they break.
I like cars from the early 70s to the early 90s broadly speaking.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: ZZman
With ever increasing prices and longer terms to try and make it affordable I don't ever see it happening. We have only purchased 1 new car and leased maybe 4-5.
A lease in the future may be an option but not a purchase.

They way most people take care of cars these days, not a chance I want some neglected POS. Only new for me, but I keep them for a long, long time.

This x1000

Me and my
Buick LeSabre 2005, it shifts well for now, air works and mileage is great,,,no Payments, most of America loves carpayments, not me................

Unless I had a ton of cash to put down and planned on keeping it forever, no. In general, I don't pay anymore than $10,000 for any vehicle. $5,000 for a daily driver/commuter/utility vehicle. If I can't pay it off within a year or pay for it outright, I just don't do it. Too many other important things to spend my money on. Cars can be emotional objects, for sure (I LOVE my 300ZX), but they are the most expensive things we buy that only depreciate 99.9% of the time. Car payments suck.

If I lived somewhere that didn't cause every vehicle to rust in the ground after 7 years , I wouldn't buy a new car.

My current fleet fits my needs perfectly. But the '18 forester *WILL* rust out sometime around 2025 or so. Who knows if there will even be cars then.

I am going to try to get winter rats to try to keep this one as long as possible. I'm not a fan of all of the new crazy technology (auto driving, nanny, electronic parking brakes) so I am going to try to avoid that on something I own.

I think going forward, when it's time to replace the Forester, I am going to be leasing a $150/mo nissan or some sort of electric car.

Funny OP mentions buying one new and leasing 4-5. If you focus only on monthly payments and plan only keeping the vehicle for the length of the loan, then yes, buying new doesn't make sense. Leasing doesn't make sense either if one talks about how expensive new vehicles are, implying that cost is a factor.
If that's the case, in the cost per mile basis, buying new and keeping it for 10-15 years beats leasing ahnds down.

While it can take longer to find the exact used car you want equipped the way you want, I don't see myself ever buying new again. I get a low mileage "creampuff" as they used to say; often with an extended warranty that is better than the new one for half the price of new.

I just bought a 2018 F-150 six weeks ago, sticker $51,200. Negotiated $11,000 off, which is $1000 below invoice plus rebates. Trucks last a long time and have good resale, so it didn't make sense to only spend $5000-$6000 less and get a three year old vehicle with 40,000 miles. I plan to keep it well past when it is paid off, and it will still probably be worth $10,000-12,000 on trade in ten or eleven years.

We leased once and got burned. One of the dealerships tried hard to get us to lease this time with a truck and we did the math and in three years would have made $22k in payments and only paid $12k on the truck. So even if we wanted to buy it at that time we'd be $10,000 in the hole and probably refinancing the balance at interest rates higher than they are now. No thanks.

I believe we will. My wife likes to buy new vehicles, me I prefer new Harleys so i can get by with a used vehicle with no payments.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Funny OP mentions buying one new and leasing 4-5. If you focus only on monthly payments and plan only keeping the vehicle for the length of the loan, then yes, buying new doesn't make sense. Leasing doesn't make sense either if one talks about how expensive new vehicles are, implying that cost is a factor.
If that's the case, in the cost per mile basis, buying new and keeping it for 10-15 years beats leasing ahnds down.

I often get bored with a vehicle after about 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back