.22 LR Personal Defense Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you might think that the .22 caliber rd. is not much to consider when it comes to it being a self defense ammo. From what I have read, it has been involved in many assassination attempts and is a very common rd. in homicide cases.
Anyway, I own a Ruger 10/22 with 2-50 rd. magazines. I buy the Remington bucket of bullets when I see them on sale, to shoot in my 10/22. But, now I'm interested in a self defense rd. for a .22 pistol I just recently received for some computer repairs I did. I was thinking anything CCI.
PLEASE, positive opinions only.

The difference is stopping power. People die from .22lr rounds, but it takes time to bleed. I'm not sure that .22 will keep them from killing you before they collapse. But .22 is better than nothing, shot placement matters.

I'd look at CCI minimag or CCI stingers.

EDIT, i left out the CCI velocitor.

Last edited:
CCI segmented (used to be kwikshok (???) I think.

not accurate at distance, but pretty effective on foxes and roos.

The pistol will stay in my front or back pocket, depending on what pants/shorts I'm wearing. It will only be used for up close protection, if needed. It's not like I'm going to be shooting at anything 50 ft. away, or better. But, then again, you never know.....??????

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If you're interest in self defense you'd better move on up. An attacker will take that gun away from you and kill you before he dies. 22 are great when your in Alaska and you are trying to escape a Grizzly shot a person with you in the knee and keep running.

JJ, as I have stated, it will stay in a pocket. I guess I should have been MORE SPECIFIC!
I usually carry an M&P .40 with either a .357 SIG barrel and Underwood GD ammo, or with the .40 barrel and HST ammo. The .22 will be for BACK UP PURPOSES ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
If you're interest in self defense you'd better move on up. An attacker will take that gun away from you and kill you before he dies. 22 are great when your in Alaska and you are trying to escape a Grizzly shot a person with you in the knee and keep running.

JJ, as I have stated, it will stay in a pocket. I guess I should have been MORE SPECIFIC!
I usually carry an M&P .40 with either a .357 SIG barrel and Underwood GD ammo, or with the .40 barrel and HST ammo. The .22 will be for BACK UP PURPOSES ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smirk.gif

If you need a backup the least I would consider is a small .380. The very minimal self defense gun.

smirk.gif

If you need a backup the least I would consider is a small .380. The very minimal self defense gun.

I guess I should be EVEN MORE SPECIFIC!
I own an SP-101. That is my pocket carry pistol MOST OF THE TIME! I am WANTING to carry this .22 pistol as a change! That is okay, right? I mean, I was in the ARMY, and I did shoot expert 8 years in a row with the M-16 and, I have been shooting firearms since age 6.........i just wanted AN OPINION on a good .22 self defense rd. Not on what to carry!
smirk.gif

Some of you might think that the .22 caliber rd. is not much to consider when it comes to it being a self defense ammo. From what I have read, it has been involved in many assassination attempts and is a very common rd. in homicide cases.
Anyway, I own a Ruger 10/22 with 2-50 rd. magazines. I buy the Remington bucket of bullets when I see them on sale, to shoot in my 10/22. But, now I'm interested in a self defense rd. for a .22 pistol I just recently received for some computer repairs I did. I was thinking anything CCI.

I think the .22 is the worst choice possible, nearly.

1) Rimfire ammunition is less reliable across the board.
2) It's a .22. Certainly there are better tools for the job!?
3) If you must use a .22, this is what I would pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc

Originally Posted By: Ws6

Did ANYONE read my post? All I wanted was an opinion on a good self defense .22 lr rd.

Did ANYONE read my post? All I wanted was an opinion on a good self defense .22 lr rd.

And you got my pick for the best bad choice.

Last edited:

And you got my pick for the best bad choice.

OKAY, time to unfollow before I get a vacation.

I've only got experience with British Army stuff of yesteryear, but I believe .22 saves on dry cleaning.

That's positive, isn't it?

Last edited:
A friend of mine is a cop here in Va. He was chasing a guy on foot and could only get his back up for some reason and shot the guy with a 22 (CCI mini mag) he hit him in the elbow and the bullet came out his neck behind the ear. I sure as heck would never want to be shot by one. My 2c, By the way I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm.

OP has posted that he has a pistol, and wants the best ammo for it for self defence.

Simple question.

Answer is not "you are wrong go out and buy an Abrams"

OP also needs to be a little bit less thin skinned, as this is becoming a pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back