Ford V10 recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2011 Ford E350 4x4 van with a 6.8 V10 just lost the motor to a rod bearing failure that just doesn't makes sense at 104,000 miles
Has had Mobil 1 5w20 in it since the first oil change with wix filters changed every 5000 miles , failure happened less then 200 miles into the last oil change. when I dropped oil and filter on recent change I had zero evidence of any problems.
installing a new V10 from ford and looking for recommendations to use in new engine as I am skeptical of Mobil 1 .

thanks for the help

Do you do lots of towing or heavy hauling? Utility bed or toolboxes inside the van? What are the operating conditions?

no heavy hauling, but the van is built inside and out and is heavy tops the scale at 14K pounds.
drive it hard but not what I would consider abusive. mostly highway driving

Last edited:
The rod bearing failure had NOTHING to do with the brand of oil you were using, I also highly doubt it being a 20W had anything to do with it either.

Was the engine tore down & inspected?

Did they give you the old failed parts? A chart like this could help diagnose:

bearinf.jpg

shes is a beast.. having it towed almost a 100 miles home was not fun ...

Not likely a Mobil 1 or a 5w-20 issue.

If it were my vehicle, I'd likely run a heavier duty oil like Rotella or Delo 5w-30 though.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The rod bearing failure had NOTHING to do with the brand of oil you were using, I also highly doubt it being a 20W had anything to do with it either.

Was the engine tore down & inspected?

not tore down , i have the new engine sitting on the floor and going back in Friday , was going to take the pan off and inspect before the core goes back ,, never lost oil pressure and still ran like nothing was wrong except for the sledge hammer knock ..

The truck is heavier than a stock unit. Therefore more constant load on the engine, as compared to towing something heavy once in a while. Therefore the viscosity is what caused damage over long term use. On new engine use any major brand 0w40 oil and I guarantee you that you won't see the same failure in the future, assuming the OEM parts have no factory defects.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

If it were my vehicle, I'd likely run a heavier duty oil like Rotella or Delo 5w-30 though.

I agree on not being a Mobil 1 issue just a little gun shy i guess since the failure .. they 6.8 is known to go a long way with little problems ...

Probably just a random failure.

What size/kind ofmtires does it have? 14k pounds would mean 3,500 pounds on each tire. Sounds like it's overloaded.

Originally Posted By: Vladiator
The truck is heavier than a stock unit. Therefore more constant load on the engine, as compared to towing something heavy once in a while. Therefore the viscosity is what caused damage over long term use. On new engine use any major brand 0w40 oil and I guarantee you that you won't see the same failure in the future, assuming the OEM parts have no factory defects.

thanks for the feedback.
I went with a new not reman ford motor since I have no plan on getting rid of it . was worth the extra $ to me .

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Probably just a random failure.

What size/kind ofmtires does it have? 14k pounds would mean 3,500 pounds on each tire. Sounds like it's overloaded.

Running 37" mickey thompson Baja ATZ P3 rated for 3750# at 65psi.. have a little room weight wise

Originally Posted By: Quigley

I agree on not being a Mobil 1 issue just a little gun shy i guess since the failure .. they 6.8 is known to go a long way with little problems ...

Sweet looking rig though!

Sweet looking rig though!

thank you

I'm with the others, probably not directly related to oil. The 20 weight may have had something to do with it, but only over very long term. After break-in run a 30 wt. in the new engine and I don't think the oil will be what lets you down if it happens again.

I went with a new not reman ford motor since I have no plan on getting rid of it . was worth the extra $ to me .

Where did you find the new motor? Everything the dealer sells is reman'd to Ford specs.

We have one at work in a F450 dually (stretched frame) with a flatbed and pulls a trailer all the time. Heavy loads, too.

221,000 miles... Pennzoil yellow bottle 10W-30 it's whole life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back