Favorite/worst things about your daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corolla:

Pros: Probably the most reliable car one could have purchased at the time. I mean unbelievably reliable. It has just needed fluids and tires. Air filters hardly get dirty, spark plugs never wear out, interior and exterior still in fantastic condition. Everything still works dang near like it did brand new. Once headlight burned out last year....I still have the original factory brakes!

Cons: It has no soul..no real character...other than I can count on it day in and day out...for seemingly forever.

Haha, my DD is a 3500 Chevy Express van!

Pros: excellent climate control, good seats, gets 16 mpg, fantastic in poor weather, generates tons of money!

Cons: Gigantic, poor visibility to sides and rear, super noisy fan from extra cooling package, stunning weight (9000+), definitely has "pull out in front of me" on it somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Corolla:

Pros: Probably the most reliable car one could have purchased at the time. I mean unbelievably reliable. It has just needed fluids and tires. Air filters hardly get dirty, spark plugs never wear out, interior and exterior still in fantastic condition. Everything still works dang near like it did brand new. Once headlight burned out last year....I still have the original factory brakes!

Cons: It has no soul..no real character...other than I can count on it day in and day out...for seemingly forever.

My '04 Corolla has 334K miles and the only things that have been replaced are the normal wear and tear items. All of the engine and it's accessories and tranny are original, and the car has never left me stranded. Great car, but you're right, it has no soul. It's an appliance, but a super reliable one...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Corolla:

My '04 Corolla has 334K miles and the only things that have been replaced are the normal wear and tear items. All of the engine and it's accessories and tranny are original, and the car has never left me stranded. Great car, but you're right, it has no soul. It's an appliance, but a super reliable one...

Are they really that bad? My Mom's 1985 Corolla hatchback was actually pretty fun on the gravel back roads, or on snow. You could left foot brake it into pretty large drift angles and it had the steering feel to hold it sideways too.
I guess on pavement the typical tall sidewall low performance 3 season tires put on these cars start to feel bad, but toss the car around on gravel some time, its lightweight and softer long travel suspension become a benefit then.
I always liked that Toyota's are typically unbreakable in stock form so you can drive it as hard as you can and they don't fundamentally have anything wrong with them. Some cars will run out of power steering boost or have non progressive bumpstops that threaten to break something in the suspension, where toyota econoboxes usually can take anything you can dish out.

16 F150

Pros:
It's a truck
Ride height
Power (2.7 ecoboost)
Comfortable

Cons:
Monthly payment
Parking

09 Venza
Pros:
Large interior
Easy in and out
Paid for vehicle

Cons:
19 inch wheels and odd ball tires

My 2010 Fusion

Cons: It's not electric, so I can't drive in the HOV lane.

Pros: No payment, excellent sound system, comfortable seats, A/C works great (a must in Phoenix summers), good fuel economy, easy maintenance, does not go through tires fast...

.. plus, the paint is in good shape and shines up beautifully.
34o7mkm.jpg

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: grampi
Corolla:

Are they really that bad? My Mom's 1985 Corolla hatchback was actually pretty fun on the gravel back roads, or on snow. You could left foot brake it into pretty large drift angles and it had the steering feel to hold it sideways too.
I guess on pavement the typical tall sidewall low performance 3 season tires put on these cars start to feel bad, but toss the car around on gravel some time, its lightweight and softer long travel suspension become a benefit then.
I always liked that Toyota's are typically unbreakable in stock form so you can drive it as hard as you can and they don't fundamentally have anything wrong with them. Some cars will run out of power steering boost or have non progressive bumpstops that threaten to break something in the suspension, where toyota econoboxes usually can take anything you can dish out.

Nothing bad about them except for being boring...then again, a fun car to me is a Corvette...

02 Silverado
Pros:
2WD model giving a comfortable height to get in and out.
Broad availability of parts spanning years and other models whether I need to change a small trim piece or control module.
Low revving V8 motor.

Cons:
Conservative transmission programming. Needs to get into a higher gear and reluctant to downshift unless you have your foot all the way to the floor.
No idle boost when working the steering wheel at low speeds. Engine would be turning at ~480RPM's as power assist diminishes.
Foam backed headliner just waiting to sag if I stare at it the wrong way.
Coil spring front suspension and riveted lower ball joints.
Oddball tire size requirement (255/70R16) which limits what shops I can get tires installed.

01 Tundra:
Pros:
High ride height.
Aftermarket stereo.
Shorter wheelbase in a ext.cab/reg.bed makes it much more maneuverable.

Cons:
Lack of aftermarket support for body parts. 2 grand for a bed panel?
No option to add manual front locking hubs which is the reason we got a 2WD model.
Revs too high when cruising on the highway.
NO LOCKING DIFF!

Toyota 4Runner SR5 1996 205k miles, original owner.

Reliability and ruggedness. One of the best friends in my life always there for me.

05 ION pros: fuel economy,ride, polymer panels, tight turning radius, low cost to run. Minus the recalls for the ignition switch and electronically boosted steering motor, it's only needed tires and regular maintenance.

Cons: rear seat room for the size, frigging console keeps touching my right knee, sway bar bushings are a weak spot.

86 Olds Calais 2 door: ride, quiet, fuel economy, rear seat room [yes, smaller car, but more rear seat legroom than in the ION ]

Cons: No place to add a cup holder, no temp gauge, flimsy interior hardware, too low to the ground

63 Valiant Signet: Slant Six, three on the tree, a genuine hardtop, no console [!!!!], simplicity

Cons: Rattles, large for a "compact"

Last edited:
1997 Honda Accord Wagon 2.2 F22B1 , 211K miles

Pros :
Lots of cargo area , I can use it like a truck
Not too shabby on gas mileage , considering how I drive it.
It's dependable (I'm not easy on the poor old girl).
I like how it drives and visibility is great all the way around
It's a wagon.
Nobody gives it a second glance because it's a wagon.
People don't understand why I like it so much.
Parts are readily available still and fairly cheap to fix.
Great Dogmobile for our seven dogs.

Cons :
It leaks oil and power steering fluid (easily fixable, just haven't got around to it) .
Clear coat is peeling
It's not a 5 speed manual

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
1997 Honda Accord Wagon 2.2 F22B1 , 211K miles

Pros :

I can't resist. I think this generation Accord wagon is one of the best looking wagons ever made. My second favorite is the '57 Chevy Nomad. So, perhaps my tastes are eclectic.

I call my white Camry LE the Fridge. Pros is its reliability. Cons is it complete lack of character. Never thought doing everything well would result in such a blah driving experience. I've got a few sets of BMW. emblems and model badges. Mebbe that will give it some pizzaz
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back