Dorm life really worth the extra cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
son is going to UW this fall. he wants to live in the dorms. seeing we only live about 25 miles from UW Seattle the extra cost seems not to make sense.

His reasoning is that travel time and networking will be worth the extra cost. when i went to college i lived at home. So those of you that did stay in the dorms through college, was it worth the expense you paid? Did it help you in the future ?

Tell him if he really wants it he can pay for it. We make choices in life some of them cost less!

He would be free to make choices and my choice would be you get this much to go to school the rest is on you or your scholarship.

Last edited:
Memories and friends that will last him the rest of his life! Seriously!

I had a job throughout college and paid my way. Tell him graduating with 100K in debt (or whatever it costs these days) is no fun.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: 02SE
It's easier to party and do stupid things, if living in a dorm.

and this is one of the worries
mad.gif

Since you raise the question of cost..

What is the cost of Dorm with no car? vs. Live at home with car plus travel expenses?

I have done both with my 2 degrees.. dorm with no car and lived at home with car.

My vote would be Dorm with no car.. and work a job to pay for car.. best of all worlds.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's worth it for the experience. Once in a lifetime.

I agree up to a point. If this can be done without financial hardship to either you or son I say yes. Both of my kids dormed. If you/he can reasonably afford the tuition with dorming and coming out with minimal or no loans I say go for it. Many students pile on additional debt by dorming when they are already in debt for tuition. As for partying, you know your kid, sit him down and explain there are no do overs!!

Last edited:
My kids both lived in the dorms their first year and had the 'experience' . They both moved into off campus apts. by 3rd year after growing tired of the noise, vomit etc....plus they had more room for less cost and weren't required to have the 'meal plan'....

I met most of my closest friends from the one year I lived in the dorm as a freshman. I am certain things would have turned out differently if I lived on campus. I went to school out of state, so commuting wasn't an option.

From my experience, it was well worth living on campus. I also can't imagine having to commute to do all the group projects or study groups. Plus the social aspects of just being able to hang out.

Originally Posted By: pbm
My kids both lived in the dorms their first year and had the 'experience' . They both moved into off campus apts. by 3rd year after growing tired of the noise, vomit etc....plus they had more room for less cost and weren't required to have the 'meal plan'....

+1

But those first couple years give young people so much life experience. Hopefully you meet a few people you click with and can move out to an apartment by the 3rd year.

Here I am, 5 years into college, I changed my major and one school messed up and didn't send my transcript so that's why it's taken so long.

I have no desire to live in a dorm, I have always commuted across town. It really isn't a big deal to commute. I couldn't imagine flushing that money down the toilet.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
His reasoning is that travel time and networking will be worth the extra cost.

"Networking" = chasing women.
grin2.gif

Home for the first year and if grades are good then reconsider. Too many distractions in a dorm for youngsters. I know from experience with my 2 sons. Ed

Baracks life is even better!

On a serious note, living with others, in close proximity, broke me out of my shell and really helped me grow up.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
College is already paid for. he got a direct slot into Foster Buisness school.

And you won't or can't spring for room and board? C'mon, man. I put four kids through college.

Well worth it for the life experience.

The earlier college years are vital for building a social network that will probably last a lifetime.

Moving off-campus can come later, once that has been established.

College is as much about learning life skills as it is about academics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back