Anybody ever been SUED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious.
Anybody ever been sued ?

It seems, preventing or minimizing the possibilities are the best way to go.
Umbrella Policy would help.

I keep my sidewalk shoveled and don't loan out tools to just anyone.
As I get older, I try to be a safer driver.

I've never been sued, but could use an education from you folks.
Thank you.

My wife is a legal secretary for a personal injury attorney. She knows all about suing people. I was sued once for non-personal injury reason so I won't bother to tell you about that other than that is was dismissed with prejudice.

Basically, it's the insurance company that gets sued.

My wife tells me about some of the cases and when it goes to court on the rare occasions when they can't reach an out of court settlement. It all goes through insurance so it's good to have that. The media tends to distort things.

Last edited:
I have assets. If I would have an automobile accident, even if only partially liable, I would be sued.

All it takes is for an attorney to run a asset report and the wheels would be set in motion.

So yes-I have an umbrella policy.

Anybody who owns a million dollar house-which is almost a default if you live in California., New York, etc., you should have an umbrella policy.

Yep, I used to own a Bar and was sued by a guy that claimed that one of our chairs broke under his weight. I had about 20 people that saw him throw himself down on it.
He had about 10 other open cases with other businesses. My insurance lawyer won the case in court. I lost my discounted insurance rate because of it.

I've seen on TV some shady lawyers and a handicapped person suing small mom n pop businesses because wheelchair could not fit in restroom.

They went up and down the East coast filing lawsuit after lawsuit.

This scum team was well known for this scam. They hit my sister in law dad's ACE Hardware store. The owner of ACE settled out of court.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Get an umbrella policy. Put the vehicles in separate names. That makes it tough to attack joint accounts. If you have lots and lots of assets consider a Trust.

Originally Posted By: Al
Get an umbrella policy. Put the vehicles in separate names. That makes it tough to attack joint accounts. If you have lots and lots of assets consider a Trust.

The trust must be irrevocable to be judgement proof. And the Trust needs to be created well before the lawsuit-or it's "fraudulent".

Reading your commets and i am glad to live in Finland. You can be sued if you do someting on purpose, but noting near like US.
If i drive over somebody my car insure will pay for her/him hospital bill and i will get a fine.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Reading your commets and i am glad to live in Finland. You can be sued if you do someting on purpose, but noting near like US.
If i drive over somebody my car insure will pay for her/him hospital bill and i will get a fine.

Same thing happens here.....then you will be sued.

My parents winery was sued in an ADA Cost of Defense scam, along with almost all the others in the county. My wife and I did the research and fought them in court - no lawyer. Case dismissed.

But if you're the person who got run over, you won't be glad you're living in Finland...

Because you will not have recourse against the person that hurt you.

My parents owned their own business when I was growing up. They had a customer write them a bad check for about $4k. They tried to get the money, and the customer kept coming up with excuses. After a few months of getting the runaround, they ran out of patience and turned it over to the police and the customer was arrested.

That customer sued my parents for $50k. Completely baseless lawsuit, but the insurance company settled for $10k because it was the cheapest option.

Write a bad check, get arrested for it, sue the person you ripped off, pocket $10k. Welcome to the US of A.

I have an umbrella policy with my home owners insurance in case I would ever get sued. Peace of mind for acouple extra dollars a year.

Dale

Originally Posted By: Astro14

But if you're the person who got run over, you won't be glad you're living in Finland...

This!!!
I used to have limited tort in my insurance which meant I pretty much lost the ability to sue for other than medical. After thinking about it, I said to myself "why". If I am hurt badly/killed and its clearly obvious that the person was drunk, or totally out of control I want his a$$ off the road. Law suits are not dischagable via bankruptcy!!

Originally Posted By: CKN

All it takes is for an attorney to run a asset report and the wheels would be set in motion.

Anybody who owns a million dollar house-which is almost a default if you live in California., New York, etc., you should have an umbrella policy.

Can that asset report reveal everything? Including one's personal financial situation?

Originally Posted By: Astro14

If you are the victim then the drivers insurance pays your damages. I don't know what's common in Finland but here most people carry 2 million in liability. I guess if you have several million in assets then those people would carry more insurance. I don't hear of average people getting sued for minor fender benders anyways, as any scammers have to fight an insurance company before they get to you.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
............... I won't bother to tell you about that other than it was dismissed with prejudice.

I would love to hear that story!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Leo99
............... I won't bother to tell you about that other than it was dismissed with prejudice.

I would love to hear that story!

11am on a Saturday and my door bell rings. This was last time I answered my door bell. From now on I just look outside and shoo the person away. But this time I opened the door. The guy asked me if I was Leo and then handed me an envelope. Upon opening the envelope I was being sued by my mother's nursing home for 6 figures, misappropriation of funds, blah, blah, blah. Turned it over to my mother's attorney and he filed a reply. Didn't take long for the court to dismiss it with prejudice. Meaning I can't get sued again for the same thing. About 2 weeks after the dismissal, a clergy man calls me up asking for donations to the nursing home. I flipped out on the poor guy. He offered to mediate things between me and the nursing home director and wanted to know why I was so angry. I told him to ask the nursing home director. He'd tell him why. They've never called or sent me any mail since other than some bills that I threw away. What are they going to do, sue me again? LOL. The thing that made me so angry was the reason for the arrears and what I told the nursing home was the exact same thing that the attorney wrote in the reply to the lawsuit. The money to pay was tied up and out of my hands. Suing wasn't going to loosen it up and the nursing home never even told me they were going to sue me if they weren't paid by such and such date. My wife thought the legal documents were amateurish. Nothing like what she creates and files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back