17 Sonata 2.4L, 300+ miles on Edge 5W-40 U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
A few notes after 300 miles on this oil...

Ambient temps over the last four days is 90F.
Mixed driving with 65% city.

The good: The car idles and runs very smoothly unless under hard acceleration (see below). Normal driving is scerene.
The bad: The car is noticeably sluggish under hard acceleration. It always feels like it's in Eco mode.
Not sure: Unless it's a gross difference, i don't know if i've taken any mpg hit.

The sluggishness may come from the fact this oil has a 3.7 HTHS? I don't know, but the performance difference is very noticeable.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Wemay -- are you going to change it out or leave it?

Dale

Hi Dale,

Not sure yet.
21.gif

Most likely will run it out to 3000 miles but not 100% sure.

Run it for 7500, it will thin out by then.
My seat of the pants sensor must be disabled, I couldn't feel a difference between 5w-30 and 20w-50 on a 97 Accord; it was slow with either oil.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Why would someone with 8400+ BITOG posts pour 40wt. oil into a new car’s engine?

Because it is a recommended viscosity in other parts of the world with my ambient temps, along with w20 and w30. Nice try though. 8400 posts teaches you where to look for this information. No worries, you'll get there.
wink.gif

You live, you try, you learn.

Why would someone with 8400+ BITOG posts pour 40wt. oil into a new car’s engine?
Because in countries without CAFE, such as the UK and Australia, they allow whatever you want basically. Here's the sheet out of the owners manual:

wemay, if it bothers you enough to change it early, maybe buy a 5 quart jug of Edge 0w20 and drain 2-1/2 quarts into a clean pan and then you can reuse it with the rest of the 0w20 next go around?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

wemay, if it bothers you enough to change it early, maybe buy a 5 quart jug of Edge 0w20 and drain 2-1/2 quarts into a clean pan and then you can reuse it with the rest of the 0w20 next go around?

Hmmm, Not a bad idea at all.

Perhaps that oil was purchased for a steep discount? Just a guess. I have not run anything "thicker" than 30 grade oil in my 2009 Sonata's 2.4L engine. Most recent fill was M1 5w30. Don't feel any difference vs what I used in the past which includes Peak 5w20 conventional, Castrol GTX 5w20 and 5w30 synblend and more.

Originally Posted By: anl0109

Perhaps that oil was purchased for a steep discount? Just a guess. I have not run anything "thicker" than 30 grade oil in my 2009 Sonata's 2.4L engine. Most recent fill was M1 5w30. Don't feel any difference vs what I used in the past which includes Peak 5w20 conventional, Castrol GTX 5w20 and 5w30 synblend and more.

I agree with you. I've never noticed a difference using a w30 either. That is why the "next" in my signature says Kendall GT-1 5w30.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I agree with you. I've never noticed a difference using a w30 either. That is why the "next" in my signature says Kendall GT-1 5w30.

I never thought that going up to 40 grade would make that much difference. Even though the engine I have and the the one in your Sonata are likely quite different -- pretty sure Hyundai refined it substantially over the years -- it's good food for thought. I think I have some 40 grade somewhere... may have to get rid of it. We'll see. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
I've run everything from 5W30 to 5W50 in a few Ford 200 and 300 I-6 engines and never recall noticing any sluggishness or any less power.
21.gif
In fact some of these engines made about 100 hp max.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've run everything from 5W30 to 5W50 in a few Ford 200 and 300 I-6 engines and never recall noticing any sluggishness or any less power.
21.gif

I wish that were the case with the Sonata.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
21.gif

I wish that were the case with the Sonata.

I do too for your sake.

your fuel efficiency is more accurate than your imagination...here's the honda on 0/40 recently..

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Hmmm, Not a bad idea at all.

I am a big ninny and would worry about what garbage the oil would pick up from running over the drain plug and off the bottom of the oil pan. You could run the car through a wash or spray the underbody off good with a hose, but I'd probably still worry about it.
The one time I changed my oil with M1 EP, I couldn't stop the magnetic drain plug I had installed from dripping and finally realized that I had made a big mistake...it came with an aluminum washer and I put a crush washer top of that, should have just used one or the other. I had been thinking about buying an oil extractor and this motivated me to buy one and use it to remove the oil to allow me to fix the drain plug problem and then refill with the same oil. The extractor has come in handy a few other times, so I didn't invest nearly $50 in it to just save about $25 worth of oil.
wemay, might be a decent option if you have an extractor or access to one.
Haven't used that drain plug since, it ends up being too much of a PITA to seat properly and I eventually just use the OEM one again.

Sorry to hear you aren't loving this oil! I noticed that M1 5W30 ESP with a high HTHS for its grade (3.58 cP??) ran hotter than M1 5W30 in my engine, but didn't notice a loss of performance.
BTW, I thought you drove the Santa Fe?

Last edited:
wemay
I think you’ll do well using 5W30 in your 2.4. That’s what I’ve been using in mine. It gets pretty darn hot here in the summer. I like Motorcraft Synthetic Blend or Castrol GTX Magnatec Synthetic. The Kendall you cited should be pretty close to the Motorcraft.

While I don't have nearly 8400 BITOG quotes, I put Mobil 1 0w-40 into my new VW Passat engine since it meets the spec, VW 50200, that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back