US Dept of war 350 pages on boundary lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/747336.pdf

1972, so it's not "fresh"...neither is gravity, the freezing point, or the boiling point of water.
And no, don't go adding Iodine to your oil...

The linking of this paper implies no recommendation, nor warranty should the reader choose to use the information contained for any and all purposes. In opening said link, the reader is assuming all responsibility for their actions.

Cant download now. All I know about I and oil is the I number is an index of unsaturation (in veg oil). Think it reacts with double bonds. Maybe it stabilises as a result?

Really Esso doing the research, unlike what the title of this thread says. Also, that's "U.S. Dept. of the Army" and authorized by the "War Office" not "dept. of war".

The paper is good for all kinds of practical things like the 'Absolute Rate for Capture of a Water-Solvated Electron'.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Really Esso doing the research, unlike what the title of this thread says. Also, that's "U.S. Dept. of the Army" and authorized by the "War Office" not "dept. of war".

The paper is good for all kinds of practical things like the 'Absolute Rate for Capture of a Water-Solvated Electron'.

Yeh. I never have the 'Absolute Rate for Capture of a Water-Solvated Electron' to hand when I need it, and there's absolutely no point in asking a garage mechanic here.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Yeh. I never have the 'Absolute Rate for Capture of a Water-Solvated Electron' to hand when I need it, and there's absolutely no point in asking a garage mechanic here.

I brought the topic up in a bar once, it ended up being quite a brawl. Never again.

Originally Posted By: judsonj
Originally Posted By: Ducked

I brought the topic up in a bar once, it ended up being quite a brawl. Never again.

Perhaps we'd better leave it then. Sadly all the best topics seem to carry enhanced risk of thread lock.

Some amazing oil treatments, like Pro-Long…
work great in a laboratory setting,
or for very short period of time - then degrade rapidly

I think I will just trust the oil manufacturers,
They do a fair amount of research before they put stuff in a bottle

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I wonder how much money was funded for this study?

Probably a lot, its interesting to look at old stuff like this just to see what they were playing around with.

Interesting. There were some very creative ideas thought of, back in the old days. Bone meal...how cool! The writing style is entertaining because it isn’t sterile.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Interesting. There were some very creative ideas thought of, back in the old days. Bone meal...how cool! The writing style is entertaining because it isn’t sterile.

Unsterilised bone meal can involve anthrax.

But then it is a DOD study.

Originally Posted By: JAG

If you read the high speed internal combustion engine by Sir Harry Ricardo, you can see the concept that they had about "dryness" and "oiliness", which appears to have come from steam engine use.

The tallowates had "oiliness", where the mineral oils didn't...that was the boundary additive of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back