Best gear oil for 06 Mustang 4.6 auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to add the Ford rear end emulsifier?
I was told to use this and RP gear oil when i replace the pinion gear seal

Somebody gave it to me ....75w 140....why buy if its ok to use...
do you need the modifier with auto trans?

Most synthetic gear oils come with Friction Modifier (FM). Redline has a synthetic gear oil that does NOT have any FM (75w140 NS). Each manufacturer also adds different amounts of FM to their gear oils. What does the OEM recommend? I would start there. A stock diff on a stock car really doesn't need special fluids. I would go onto some of the Ford 4.6 forums and see what those guys are using, especially since different gear oils have varying amounts of FM in them. You may even have to add an additional amount of FM. If I where you I'd check the forums first.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357

I think you're a bit confused. The differential is at the REAR axle it allows the rear tires to turn at different speeds during a turn. The diff is connected to the transmission (either manual or Auto) via the drive shaft and is a completely different component from the trans. DO NOT PUT FRICTION MODIFIER IN YOUR TRANSMISSION!!!. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you may want to get a Hays, Chilton or Factory Service Manual for your cars since it appears that you are inexperienced with Auto repair. Please do some research first and make sure you 100% sure that you can handle this fluid change, since adding gear oil and FM to an A/T would destroy it.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
Originally Posted By: gmh101357

I think you're a bit confused. The differential is at the REAR axle it allows the rear tires to turn at different speeds during a turn. The diff is connected to the transmission (either manual or Auto) via the drive shaft and is a completely different component from the trans. DO NOT PUT FRICTION MODIFIER IN YOUR TRANSMISSION!!!. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you may want to get a Hays, Chilton or Factory Service Manual for your cars since it appears that you are inexperienced with Auto repair. Please do some research first and make sure you 100% sure that you can handle this fluid change, since adding gear oil and FM to an A/T would destroy it.

Acually the opposite....what I was asking if its something (modifier) thats used in diff does it matter if its auto or 6 speed etc.
I thought most rear end oil nowdays came with it in some form as one guy stated.... guess ford is diff.....this is the ford ive ever owned ....most car manufacture's
do not recommend the use of oil additives.....engine/trans or rear

If its used in a performance application, use less or NO FM, makes the clutches lock up better
wink.gif
I ran NO modifiers in my 95 Cobra track car, factory traclok diff worked quite well and I never did notice any issues when street driving.

All the additive does is make the clutches in the diff slip when going slow in a sharp turn, keeps them from "chattering" mine never did though in any of my Fords

Thanks for that, I just did my 8.8 lsd in the Jeep too, and my capacity is 3.5 + qts.was debating whether or not buy another thing of fm. I did do the + clutch - steel arrangement. Hopefully the lack of FM will help with low speed lockup too.

RP has friction modifier in it already, you don't have to add it. I've used it in several limited slips, it's worked fine in all of them. Currently in both axles of the Ram in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back