Status
Not open for further replies.
Background :
BMW S54 Engine : 125,xxx mi
Oil sampled immediately
Unknown brand, interval, or additives added

Silicon : I can attest from a later disgustingly filthy air filter

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It would have been interesting to see the TBN/TAN done on that sample.

I can certainly request from Blackstone - as from what I was reading they hold sample for a bit?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Iron,copper and lead all high. Maybe a very long OCI?

Certainly would not doubt it. Air filter had a 2013' date on it when I removed

Last edited:
Undoubtable yes, a high showing of metals - along w/ some other oddities

Goal to post here specifically was for any helpful insight - there is a wealth of it on this site which I respect greatly

Blackstone sure provides some feedback - but as many will attest isn't most insightful

The rod bearings are probably done. If it were mine I would be dropping the pan to check/replace them before they do damage to the crank.
There are upgraded bearings for this engine.

So, a BMW M Motor. (Is this one of the ones that calls for 10/60?)

What was blackstone feedback? (you can log into your blackstone account, search by unit and then produce a report without personal info)

What is the situation/history with the car? Does it run ok? Make any noise? What (other than the suspect air filter) does a visual inspection reveal.

I think a single UOA in a vacuum tells us little, particularly with so many unknowns. Yes - it doesn’t look good, but as to why it doesn’t look good and what (if any) action is required beyond changing the oil... need to look at the whole body of information.

EDIT: Also “?” by antifreeze. Markers for coolant present. Bearings have been sitting in oil contaminated with coolant? (what did the oil look like?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
The rod bearings are probably done. If it were mine I would be dropping the pan to check/replace them before they do damage to the crank.

^^^ This. Known issue with the S54.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Yep, has been planned well before receiving this report.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
So, a BMW M Motor. (Is this one of the ones that calls for 10/60?)

What was blackstone feedback? (you can log into your blackstone account, search by unit and then produce a report without personal info)

What is the situation/history with the car? Does it run ok? Make any noise? What (other than the suspect air filter) does a visual inspection reveal.

I think a single UOA in a vacuum tells us little, particularly with so many unknowns. Yes - it doesn’t look good, but as to why it doesn’t look good and what (if any) action is required beyond changing the oil... need to look at the whole body of information.

EDIT: Also “?” by antifreeze. Markers for coolant present. Bearings have been sitting in oil contaminated with coolant? (what did the oil look like?)

Appreciate detailed response: no alarming engine sounds - only 90mi of light driving on car once new oil was in (10w60) which was immediately. Awaiting the report from Blackstone - obviously did not try to push the engine even on fresh 10w60.

Coolant levels are leveled in expansion tank - and also dash gauge stable. Double checked actual temp via OBD2 (gave indicated dash reading)

Blackstone surprisingly gave very little input hence reason I didn't include. Just stated obvious; high metal. They noted the silicon from dirty air filter after I had told them about the car status.

Not sure how coolant would be @ level / cooling car properly if leak was present & contaminating oil. But just here to learn - and pick the brains of those others who may be of more experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back