Craigslist mobile mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was perusing CL and saw ads for mobile mechanics. Some of their rates were only $60/hr.

Has anyone ever hired them before?

They seem pretty shady to me. After seeing them in person and contacting them via text. I describe an easy issue and they ask all sorts of crazy questions and give bad info. They were kind of test questions and they flunked with flying colors. Then when I don't reply back they send me 3-4 texts. The final one asking what my problem is. You can plug in the search words "master ase" and use those results to pursue. Much better results that way. Usually they have full time work and looking for some side work.

Yeah, I've used craigslists to find mechanics before. They usually ranged in price from $20-$60 an hour. I only used ASE ones, they seemed to know what they were doing. The ones that weren't, well I never bothered. One guy which was ASE wasn't very good though, he was sloppy, left parts all over the place and we had to hunt for one on the floor because he couldn't find it. Others tend to be neater, put all the parts in one spot/bucket so they could be easily found when putting it back together. He was doing the rear brakes at one point and was just going to hook one of the springs onto the metal of the brake shoe instead of putting it in the hole, I pointed that out and he hooked it in the right spot, otherwise I guess if I wasn't there, he would have left it, buttoned it up and I wouldn't have known til the spring slipped off.

They may be cheap up front, but they sound expensive in the long run.

Too bad you weren’t closer. I’d just help you get the job done.

My mechanic in Coastal NH charges $65/hr with 3 port garage is ASE Master Tech & 35 years wrenching Subaru. Honest, dependable but takes a while to get your car in and sometimes takes a while getting dealer parts. He also works on my Acura MDX no issues. If he does not know a make or how to diagnose is not shy turning someone away to another shop.

$60/hr seems steep for mobile.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My mechanic in Coastal NH charges $65/hr with 3 port garage is ASE Master Tech & 35 years wrenching Subaru. Honest, dependable but takes a while to get your car in and sometimes takes a while getting dealer parts. He also works on my Acura MDX no issues. If he does not know a make or how to diagnose is not shy turning someone away to another shop.

$60/hr seems steep for mobile.
Cheap! Most shops here are $100+ and Mobile guys even more.

I recently found a pretty good shop I think. Good reviews and a one man operation out of a shop. Saw a car that he was selling online and was impressed with all parts he put into it to make it like new. Plus offering a warranty on all his work. Car needed a new engine and he bought it off them which is fully disclosed. Prob ran low on oil but who knows.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/2009-toyota-matrix-5800-obo/6544455222.html

https://www.facebook.com/OberlinAutoClinic/

Some random pics from the shop.

Many years ago, when I had a starter fail in my one car, and I needed it fixed fast to get into work, I contacted a local mobile mechanic here in the Phoenix area. He arrived in about 45 minutes, checked the car, verified it was just the starter, went and picked up the starter and installed it into my car, all in about 2 hours. The starter worked until I sold the car about 2 years later. I can't remember what he charged, but as I recall, it was a decent rate.

Based on that one, and only, experience, I'd say
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
They seem pretty shady to me. After seeing them in person and contacting them via text. I describe an easy issue and they ask all sorts of crazy questions and give bad info. They were kind of test questions and they flunked with flying colors. Then when I don't reply back they send me 3-4 texts. The final one asking what my problem is. You can plug in the search words "master ase" and use those results to pursue. Much better results that way. Usually they have full time work and looking for some side work.

Unfortunately ASE don’t mean [censored] if the guy has no pride in the quality of his work.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Unfortunately ASE don’t mean [censored] if the guy has no pride in the quality of his work.

I agree. I'm not ASE anything and have seem some really bad work from "experts". IMO if someone is good at taking tests he can get his certifications.

Usually a MASTER ASE helps in that it's a step from a normal ASE certification. Not fool proof but a good start. For instance, Trav on here is a master ASE.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I agree. I'm not ASE anything and have seem some really bad work from "experts". IMO if someone is good at taking tests he can get his certifications.

It's still better than nothing. I've called a few guys to see if they knew what they were talking about the ones that had no clue I passed on. I usually at least look up the procedure for the replacement, just don't have the tools or the space to do it.

I am not ASE anything, and I never will be. The system is corrupt and I won't be a part of it. I could take 8 or 9 tests and be a Master Tech, but I am trying to get out of auto repair for work and just enjoy doing it for myself. I'll finish my [censored] degree in a year. Another system that is corrupt, but it pays more for less work.

Used to be a guy in NH called "Auto Doctor".He would hop into his old Chevy van that was stuffed with tools,hoses,belts,clamps,and such when he wasn't working in his filling station/garage.He was quick,and there was no padding the time...he needed to get back to home base.So,he got the job done quick.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

I am not ASE anything, and I never will be. The system is corrupt and I won't be a part of it. I could take 8 or 9 tests and be a Master Tech, but I am trying to get out of auto repair for work and just enjoy doing it for myself. I'll finish my [censored] degree in a year. Another system that is corrupt, but it pays more for less work.

Amen brother. I do mechanical work for friends and family and don't charge them anything for it. It's like I feel lucky to be skilled at this and am eager to help othe r people.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Amen brother. I do mechanical work for friends and family and don't charge them anything for it. It's like I feel lucky to be skilled at this and am eager to help othe r people.

Of course BITOG censored the abbreviation for Bachelor of Science.

Years ago, I contacted one of these guys I'd seen on CL about timing belt service for a '97 Accord we then had.
I noted in passing that the minimum valve clearances made many of these engines non-interference.
The guy then wanted to argue about minimum valve clearances and so on.
I intended to have the job done without regard to what the valve clearances might be and was not about to argue with someone I was trying to give money to in exchange for work.
I wished the guy a happy week and took the car to a well-known Honda indie who did the deed with OEM parts for about what a dealer would have charged with less skilled techs doing the work.

If they don't have a lift and are working out of a van, what job can they possibly tackle that I couldn't in my driveway with tools from my garage?
confused2.gif

Probably a good option for someone that can't turn a wrench and needs a pad slap.

We have some come in to buy parts and they range from actually really good to ones who have a P code scribbled on a fast food receipt and ask what part will fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back