GM Bulk D1G2 5w30, 5K Miles, 2017 ATS 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil was in service for 5k miles. Total miles on the 2017 ATS is 10.6K miles. OLM was at 32%.

Oil filter used was the dealer installed ACDelco PF64, which experienced a media tear at some point in the OCI. The C&P for that filter may be found at:

PF64 C&P

TAN and particle analysis are pending. I will update this thread when the updated report is received.

The VOA and UOA may be found at:

VOA & UOA

you might want to edit those report pdf's.
you are giving strangers on the internet your name, address, phone number, and email....

I'd go 3750 miles on the oil which was severe service on a previous car I had. Going 2000 miles on VWB would be a waste based on another thread you created. Service should be easier on the car since the extreme winter weather should be over.

Percent Fuel Content PFc they say is about 5%, yet kv100 only dropped by 1.6 cSt, not bad.

KV100 dropped some, due to fuel dilution from the DI-turbo and some VII shearing.
Looks normal.
AC-Delco is on the growing list of oils getting Ti these days (Kendall, Castrol, Valvoline Full Syn, AC-Delco).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
you might want to edit those report pdf's.
you are giving strangers on the internet your name, address, phone number, and email....

Ty!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Percent Fuel Content PFc they say is about 5%, yet kv100 only dropped by 1.6 cSt, not bad.

KV100 dropped some, due to fuel dilution from the DI-turbo and some VII shearing.
Looks normal.
AC-Delco is on the growing list of oils getting Ti these days (Kendall, Castrol, Valvoline Full Syn, AC-Delco).

That would explain the smell of the oil that came out. I'm surprised by the level of fuel to be honest, considering I'm using 94 octane exclusively.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd go 3750 miles on the oil which was severe service on a previous car I had. Going 2000 miles on VWB would be a waste based on another thread you created. Service should be easier on the car since the extreme winter weather should be over.

Cadillac offers free oil changes for the first 4 years. They stated I can come in once the OLM hits 20% or lower. That will be approximately 1.5k miles on VWB. In retrospect, I'm glad I changed this oil out knowing the oil filter failure and UOA results. VWB will be in there for as long as it takes to get below 20% on the OLM and get my next free oil change.

You can always pick up a better quality filter at Walmart or Federated. Probably cost less than $5. Then just give it to them to use. Then ask for the filter back next oci to make sure they actually used it. Kind of a test for them.

Looks normal.

This is an unhealthy UOA IMO. Maybe the norm for DI engines, but I can't imagine this engine enjoying a healthy long life if the reports continue like this.

High fuel content which implies low flash and higher LSPI potential, 20 weight viscosity, 6.8 per 1k miles fe.

TAN and particle count will be interesting and fill the gaps in this story.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
You can always pick up a better quality filter at Walmart or Federated. Probably cost less than $5. Then just give it to them to use. Then ask for the filter back next oci to make sure they actually used it. Kind of a test for them.

Agreed. The filter choice discussions have been hashed out in the following threads:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4709081/ACDelco_PF64_-_C&P_-_T
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4572028/ACDelco_PF64_-_pics

Originally Posted By: webfors
High fuel content which implies low flash and higher LSPI potential, 20 weight viscosity, 6.8 per 1k miles fe.

Your iron wear rate is normal for such a new engine.
As for the fuel dilution reducing KV100 (& HTHS) after about 4k miles in an OCI, its a good idea to spike the oil with heavy make-up oil, like same-brand 0w40 at half to 3/4ths the way thru a full OCI out to the OLM limit. Really only needed during the summer months.

Or, start with a 0w40 in your case and let it shear down and dilute down to a 0w30 in a few months. The new Corvette GM 0w40 is a dexos2 and can be used safely in your 5w30 application. Or really any dexos2 5w30 has a thicker hths to withstand fuel dilution more.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Your iron wear rate is normal for such a new engine.
As for the fuel dilution reducing KV100 (& HTHS) after about 4k miles in an OCI, its a good idea to spike the oil with heavy make-up oil, like same-brand 0w40 at half to 3/4ths the way thru a full OCI out to the OLM limit. Really only needed during the summer months.

Or, start with a 0w40 in your case and let it shear down and dilute down to a 0w30 in a few months. The new Corvette GM 0w40 is a dexos2 and can be used safely in your 5w30 application. Or really any dexos2 5w30 has a thicker hths to withstand fuel dilution more.

The oil didn't move on the dipstick, so adding oil isn't an option.

I agree that the new D2 0w40 may be a great choice! How picky would GM be on warranty claims using this oil?

Or how about the Mobil's 5w30 ESP?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Mobil ESP 5W30 is good with an HTHS 3.58.
That's right, and it'll work becuz, with a little fuel dilution, you could lose 10% or so of that, putting it about hths=3.0, which is where the SN GF-5 dexos1 5w30 types are at when new. Some margin.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4624325/'16_Camaro_2.0L_Turbo_AC_DELCO#Post4624325

OP that may be of some interest to you since we have the same engine. For comparison sake.

Originally Posted By: Roland1
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4624325/'16_Camaro_2.0L_Turbo_AC_DELCO#Post4624325

OP that may be of some interest to you since we have the same engine. For comparison sake.

Thank you! We need more UOAs on the LTG.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Mobil ESP 5W30 is good with an HTHS 3.58.

It also has only 0.6 sulphated ash, and one thread on here recently suggested it's NOACK is only 5.6%!

I'm going to switch my Corvette over to this oil on the next oil change, I'm that impressed with the specs on this oil (it looks even better on paper than the brand new M1 0w40 ESP that is now recommended for C7 Corvettes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back