Pulling the plug on Rotella T6 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

Came to the conclusion that the Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W30 is not compatible with the Acura in signature. Have ran this oil for 400 plus miles now -- engine is very sluggish and my MPGs took a significant hit also. I drained the oil this morning and will run it in my Baja that is speced for 5W30. The Acura states on the filler cap & manual to use 5W20. Replaced the Rotella T6 with Quaker State High Mileage 5W20 paired with a Fram Ultra.

Dale

Of course it too thick. Too high HTHS too.

Slow those pistons way down.

Thickest you should ever need is QSUD 10w30.

Unless your running AC motor or giant turbo nitrous combo

May be too much for BAJA too. Most I ever ran was 1/2 sump 10w30 rotella triple in an EJ253 the rest was 5w30 shell GF3 SL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Came to the conclusion that the Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W30 is not compatible with the Acura in signature. Have ran this oil for 400 plus miles now -- engine is very sluggish and my MPGs took a significant hit also.

Do whatever you like, but it sounds like pretty doubtful "science". You've concluded that your MPGs took a significant hit after, essentially, one tankful of fuel? OK.

Believe me, my car/my engine -- I KNOW WHATS UP!!!
wink.gif

Dale

Acura used 5W30 in their 2.4L until 2009. They changed the 2.4L to 5W20 on my 2010 Model. I have mostly ran 5W30/10W30 synthetic and the car doesn't know the difference. I am highly skeptical that 5W30 bogs your engine down. Did you put 30 quarts of oil in it?

Originally Posted By: khittner

Do whatever you like, but it sounds like pretty doubtful "science". You've concluded that your MPGs took a significant hit after, essentially, one tankful of fuel? OK.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Originally Posted By: khittner

Agreed.

+1

Just got back from a 40 mile round trip after I changed the oil this morning. The PEP is BACK -- another observation I discovered; when I had the Rotella T6 5W30 oil in it -- the cock pit would get hotter than normal after about 15 minutes of driving. Just seemed like the motor was putting out excessive heat?? Now, reset my fuel mileage and the up and back trip to the Honda/Acura dealer to get some aluminum crush washers & Acura auto tranny fluid. Fuel mileage up and back is at 27 mpg. Same trip last week to pick sandwiches up in that area -- 23 mpg up and back.

First of all -- my engine is the 3.2L not your smaller 2.4L engine. Secondly, I put 4.5 quarts of oil in it like I always do when I used the Rotella T6 5W30.

Sorry, cant do that -- I am purchasing my neighbors 2000 Dodge Ram 4WD 5.2L that im sure will luv the Rotella T6 5W30 here in the next week or two. His truck sits parked with 92,xxx miles on it. He just got a brand new Jeep Cherokee and now needs the space in his driveway he says. I offered him $2300.00 and it comes with two brand new doors to replace the doors on there now. I climbed under it and the frame and body are solid.
smile.gif

I would have drained one-half of the contents. You can do this by loosening the oil pan bolt and letting the contents slowly drip into a container.

I would have refilled the engine with an 0W-20 and ran this new half and half blend for the entire length of your intended OCI.

I don't waste oil with less than 1K of use. I would have used the remaining one-half contents again (that you saved) in another blend with 0W-20 later this summer or even next summer 2019.

Blending hurts absolutely nothing, nor does it shorten the life-span of the two mixed oils. Been doing it for 25 years and I'm first and last owner of my vehicles.

Hondas don't need anything special. I prefer SOPUS xW-20 in them.

The Rotella is a good, stout oil which would help with the VCM-equipped J35 engines in the Pilot/MDX and Odyssey/Accord V6. But it's way too thick for them and I take credibility in Honda's recommendation of 5W-20 in those, just like how the original Insight is speced around 0W-20.

Now, if you had an S2K or earlier Civic Si/Type-R, the Rotella would be a very good oil for a high-revving F20/B18 engine.

Wifey's car is a 2006 TSX (K-24) with almost 180K miles.
Oil cap sez 5w30; a couple of years ago I switched to 5w20; now running M1 High Mileage.
I called the local (Los Gatos, CA) Acura dealer and asked service what they were using in these cars - 5w20.

Runs so well. One of the great engines in Honda's history.

Originally Posted By: nthach

The Rotella is a good, stout oil which would help with the VCM-equipped J35 engines in the Pilot/MDX and Odyssey/Accord V6. But it's way too thick for them

I just ran Pennz Plat Euro 0W40 in my Odyssey for 13.5k and it was perfect. I did a UOA at 7k and the TBN was still 6.0 and wear metals were lower than 5W20 Pennz Platinum. It runs so well on it that I bought enough to last another 120k of OCIs on it. I trust the ACEA A3/B4 oil in 40 weight a whole lot more to protect from the evils of VCM than I do a 20-weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back