2018 Chevy Sonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted recently about trading my car. I have a good deal on a accent, but also on a 2018 sonic in the RS trim auto turbo.

How reliable those car can be now? Did GM fixed the bugs on previous versions?

Thanks for your opinions.

I like the Accent but can't help but think how much fun that Sonic Turbo RS can be. Hopefully it's reliable. I would go for the turbo if as reliable as the very reliable Accent.

Have you driven each? Not worth discussing if you haven’t driven them. Regardless of relative reliability, each car speaks to a different kind of owner. I’ve driven several Accents over the years (none recent, admittedly) and all of them were incredibly docile. Boring. Dull. Some people are OK with that or prefer it, even. Nothing wrong with that.

How tall are you? Are you ok with sandwiching yourself into a little crackerbox?

I thought I was until I sat in even a Cruze.

Id imagine the new RS is the same as the old RS. Just a badge. My friend had bought a brand new sonic turbo RS with a manual a few years ago. I promptly showed him my Yaris sedan taillights. 3 car lengths by 60 is bad and thats giving him the hit.

Personally Id trust the Accent before trusting any GM product. We had a 13 Spark that was great little car and the new ones look pretty good. But whats the long term? We sold it with 63k on it.

The Subcompact hatchback category is one of my favorite. I still prefer a midsize family sedan but I have always had a fondness for the little hatches.
However, my compelling argument with myself is that these little hatches can can co$t into the next segment of vehicles; the Compact hatch or sedan segment, which are much better vehicles.

The Sonic Turbo should be a good & fun little car if treated properly. I just don't think that because it's a turbo that it can be thrashed without having some penalties. Penalties in terms of reliability/longevity and poorer fuel economy. Also, their acquisition fee is their only cost saving over the next segment up and only if you can get a good deal. Otherwise, they're an expensive 5 yr cost of ownership vehicle. Everything about them is cheaply made from their exhaust system to their wheel bearings...made to a price!

I can talk about this subject waaaaay too long so, I'll stop here!

Step up to the A Kia Forte. Ive been dwelling in the sub compact hatch zone for many years and they are junk.

Mainly let down by a weak, rubbery front suspension and marginal toughness on the transaxle and wheel bearings.

Going to campct buys you much and going to CUV buys you even more.

A 1.4 turbo auto smells like NO FUN at all. stick maybe but not auto. plus that 1.4 is absolutely no performance engine.

I had an expensive for what it was Honda Fit and that was no prize either. Fair at best.

I don't know if there is anything good in an affordable hot hatch. I think its dead. They are all pig heavy now.

Last edited:
The 2016+ 1.4T has an aluminum block with a bit more hp than the old one. I've only actually ridden in a 2012 1.8L RS Sonic hatch(same chassis still) at autocross but was quite shocked how competent the chassis was. Even with new sticky Firehawk indy500 tires, it only had a small amount of body roll. Also they aren't really that small in the front seats atleast. More head room than my Focus and atleast as wide.
I would test drive one anyways if you're in that car market. But I would also look at newer used Cruze's, up here they are super cheap, like 20k miles 2 years old for $9k...

The 1.8 na engine is reliable and gets good ratings. I would love the fun factor of a turbo but not at the expense of long term reliability.

Can not say about the 1.4l Turbo , but my Wife drives a 2015 Sonic Automatic 1.8l . With ~45,000 miles on the clock , we are satisfied with it ( but we are senior citizens & not hot rodders . )

A/C compressor went out , Chevy replaced it under warranty .

Honestly , we bought it for price .

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The 1.8 na engine is reliable and gets good ratings. I would love the fun factor of a turbo but not at the expense of long term reliability.

After the 2012 MY "long-term reliability" is 90% up to the owner's operational/maintenance habits. People bought Cruzes and complained when they weren't impervious to so-so maintenance like an old Honda or Toyota.

used sonic WITH A STICK AND 1.8 THEN!

tOO $$$ NEW.

I LOOKED AT ONE WHEN IN THE MARKET A FEW YEARS AGO. tURNED OFF BY PRICE AND APARRANT QUALITY.
Prob would have been better than my Honda Fit
smile.gif

I have driven an older stick shift sonic 1.8 quite a bit and really loved it. It was comfy and if I wanted to zip it around corners it handled it well.

Last edited:
If I didn't have a ski slope for a driveway Id still be driving a hot hatch.

Got tired of seeing wife get up the hill in her subarus and me not making it up.
Plus now I'm well over 60 years old.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Plus now I'm well over 60 years old.

Wow, I never would have guessed that. It does explain some things.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back