Metal sheds/garages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting a metal shed/garage. It will do double duty as both a shed and a garage. It will be 10' X 20' in size, and will have a garage door on both ends. I would rather have a wooden structure, but they are about double the price of the metal ones. I am hearing that these metal sheds sweat like crazy, which means everything kept inside will be covered with condensation a lot of the time. If this is true, it's simply not acceptable to have this taking place with the vehicle I plan on keeping inside. Is there any way to ventilate these sheds so this doesn't happen, or is what I heard not true?

Last edited:
I put up a metal sheeted 'pole building' some years ago and used thin insulation batts with a plastic vapor barrier in the ceiling. It was a bit of a labor fuss but wasn't expensive and did the job as no dripping.

I could see the 'inside' metal wall being damp as it would collect moisture from the air.
Just like your bathroom mirror steams up when you take a shower.

Check the shed manufacturer for venting options.

I'm going to be putting up one of the 10x17 harbor freight tarp garages. It's a good way to get around zoning regulations that don't allow for permanent structures or sheds.

Those also have issues with condensation. I'm planning on elevating mine an inch or two so it has airflow under it.

If you're building a permanent structure, you could probably do a fan or dehumidifier.

I have a metal one bigger than what you are talking about, on a slab, overhead door and entry door on one end only, and I've never observed this. They're not that tight.

As an aside, I have a side business selling these things, wood frame and metal, from several manufacturers, and no one has ever complained about this. Despite the low cost, metal ones are poor sellers.

If you already have a slab, or will pour one, the metal ones are okay; they are more vulnerable to wind damage in my experience.

If crime is an issue, the metal ones can be breached with tin snips; the wood ones can be made more secure, but can also be broken into.

Off topic: Will that be big enough? Your Corolla is 15' long and if you leave 2' behind it so you can walk behind the car, there's maybe 3' left of room in front of the car for using it as a shed. Just an idea.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Off topic: Will that be big enough? Your Corolla is 15' long and if you leave 2' behind it so you can walk behind the car, there's maybe 3' left of room in front of the car for using it as a shed. Just an idea.

There will be nothing else in the shed when the car is in there...and it's not for my Corolla, it will be for my Vette...

I am now thinking of going with a carport instead. 3 full length walls will keep the vehicle dry and out of the sun, and with it being open I won't have any condensation issues...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I am now thinking of going with a carport instead. 3 full length walls will keep the vehicle dry and out of the sun, and with it being open I won't have any condensation issues...

It still see some condensation of course, dew/frost on many nights, but out of the rain and sun is better than nothing for sure.
I'd think your small metal garage idea with a insulated slab and spray foam insulation would be ideal though. Heat it with a small electric baseboard and it will be dry 99% of the time.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

It still see some condensation of course, dew/frost on many nights, but out of the rain and sun is better than nothing for sure.
I'd think your small metal garage idea with a insulated slab and spray foam insulation would be ideal though. Heat it with a small electric baseboard and it will be dry 99% of the time.

How can there be condensation inside when one end is completely open?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

How can there be condensation inside when one end is completely open?

Just simple thermal differences.

My wife and I were out in our (stone) garage a few weeks back. It was a horribly rainy day, so we were in there cleaning up and organizing stuff. It was also pretty cold.

Had the two garage doors open, so one end was "completely open".

EVERYTHING had condensation on it.

With the garage closed, everything was cold, and the humid air was effectively out of the little microclimate (as poorly sealed as the garage it - I like it to "breathe". One end open, and the humid air could readily mix and condensate on anything and everything.

Has been used historically to make "air wells".

Open form structures that intentionally use thermal mass and surface area to form collectable condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back