wife got a wild hair, wants a RAV4?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's '16 Honda CR-V EX lease is ending in just under a year. The "wanna turn it in early" emails and mailed pieces from Honda have just started coming. She has never owned a Toyota, and my most recent one was a '91 Camry. Neither of us really likes the CR-V and I'd like to get her into a VW Sportwagen or All Track, or even a Tiguan. Out of the blue last evening she mentioned that she thinks she wants a RAV4...what?!?

She also said she thinks she wants to buy instead of lease, and drive the wheels off the thing. That's outside her norm too. My perception of Toyota is that they are boring appliances that run a long time. What should I look for/avoid while shopping new RAV4s?

I liked the older ones. Not sure of what yrs but they had the tire on the back. Peppy engiine and snappy driving. The newer ones I have driven are larger outside while being more cramped inside. Mega boring vehicle now IMO like most-car based SUVs. Ever notice how they ALL look the same, all of them! BORING!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
She's gonna end up with a bimmer

I will eat my hat if she get a BMW or Mercedes..."luxury" brands turn her off, she simply won't pry her pocketbook open far enough to get a car to show-off with.

The only thing we absolutely have to be able to do with whatever she gets, is fit 2 big labradoodles in the back. The 18 month old is about 90 lbs and the 10 month old is 100ish and still growing. They go to Puppy Camp pretty much daily and will need to be transported. We have seat covers for each car that snap over the headrests and keep dirty paws and fur off the seats.

Last edited:
The CRV and the Rav4 are Bryers and Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. They are in essence the same. If she does not like the CRV, she won't like the Rav4.

Small suv's are going for a premium right now. Might be able to get a good deal on a VW right now because of the past scandal. They may have some lease deals going on right now that may help with that decision.

Its a shame they no longer offer the V6 in the Rav 4. Toyota makes a great product and I believe she will like the service the Rav 4 will offer. My Family have owned many many Toyota Camrys over the years and ALL of them have been exceptionally reliable. Thumbs up to her choice. Whats the old saying, "happy wife equals a happy life!!"
wink.gif

Dale

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
My perception of Toyota is that they are boring appliances that run a long time.

I've got the same perception of Honda as well.
smile.gif

I pass about 30 RAV4s per day all the newer bodystyle seems like..all driven by women. My wife even wants one. I did my homework on them a little bit in case we actually get one.

Seems like the consensus is that they have more power, more comfortable and better sound system than the CR-V. Curb appeal is also higher with the colors available Purple and Blue.

Pros for me- Multiport injection and 6 speed automatic.

Cons for me- no trans dipstick.

Overall review- I think if i were going to buy a Crossover this would be the one if i were going to keep it to 300K miles.

The sportwagen would be a nice vehicle for dog hauling. I purposely didn't test drive one when we were shopping for the Outback as it didn't have all the requirements, but I'm sure it drove very nice.
I guess she could look at the Forester and Outback too, the Outback is a midsize wagon so it drives a bit differently than all the CUV's based on compact cars, and is a bit wider inside, bigger back seats. The flat 6 is available too which feels a bit upmarket these days.
Also the V6 Outlander is an interesting option especially if you don't own it long enough to do the timing belt.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Small suv's are going for a premium right now. Might be able to get a good deal on a VW right now because of the past scandal. They may have some lease deals going on right now that may help with that decision.

Forgot to mention earlier if buying I would opt for the Rav4 and get the FWD version. Should easily last 300k with basic maintenance. A 4cyl FWD Highlander is another option for around $30k estimated negotiated price.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
She's gonna end up with a bimmer

I will eat my hat if she get a BMW or Mercedes..."luxury" brands turn her off, she simply won't pry her pocketbook open far enough to get a car to show-off with.

The only thing we absolutely have to be able to do with whatever she gets, is fit 2 big labradoodles in the back. The 18 month old is about 90 lbs and the 10 month old is 100ish and still growing. They go to Puppy Camp pretty much daily and will need to be transported. We have seat covers for each car that snap over the headrests and keep dirty paws and fur off the seats.

She is willing to pry that pocketbook open pretty far if she's trading in a 2 year old car.

At 54 years old, I've bought two new cars in my whole life...out of over 20 cars...

Might be cheaper to own/drive a Mercedes/BMW than trading in a Honda every two years.

If you think Hondas are fun to drive enthusiast cars and Toyotas are boring appliances, then you've been hanging around the Honda crowd a bit too long. The CRV is an appliance, nothing more. It drives poorly and is underpowered. Folks like it because it's "cute" and "practical" when the latter is just as subjective as the former. A RAV-4 would be no better, and no worse, than the CRV, but trading in a two year old car, well, it would have to be a heck of a deal on the new one to convince me that it's worthwhile...

I think she has a 3 year lease on the CRV and Honda Financial is sending her offers to turn it in early and lease something new.

Forgot to mention earlier if buying I would opt for the Rav4 and get the FWD version. Should easily last 300k with basic maintenance. A 4cyl FWD Highlander is another option for around $30k estimated negotiated price.

Unless there is a real need for the AWD, I agree with the FWD recommendation for a RAV4 based upon my experience with a previous generation AWD RAV6. I had an ~$3500 repair to the AWD system in my 2006 and felt that it was sort of crude in general...certainly is likely to have been improved since then and the 270HP V6 may have contributed to the damage, but I would recommend looking at a Subaru first if AWD is a huge priority. Both my Outback and Forester's AWD systems felt more capable and seamless to me than the one in my RAV6.

I think she has a 3 year lease on the CRV and Honda Financial is sending her offers to turn it in early and lease something new.

Bingo! $272/mo for 36 months with no money down. My primary issue with the CR-V is the rock hard, uncomfortable seats and the headrests that push against the back of my head. My bride HATES the CVT (doesn't mind the one in the Accord though) and the tinny-sounding doors.

She also said she thinks she wants to buy instead of lease, and drive the wheels off the thing.

Smart. Leasing sucks.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
She also said she thinks she wants to buy instead of lease, and drive the wheels off the thing.

Smart. Leasing sucks.

Honestly, it's worked well for us...we drive low enough miles that the 12k per annum is fine, I never have to buy anything beyond oil changes, tire rotations and wiper blades and the cars are under warranty the whole time.

They also have the Rav4 hybrid...

Also,like you said, VW has sales right now on Alltrack (2017's starting at $27,000), Tiguan.

A low miles, used FWD Golf Sportwagen, '16 or '17, could be with some shopping around $15k-$17k plus taxes.

OP/CynciDavind, The dogs/Puppies, how young they are? (more of a question of height and easiness to get them in the car/vehicle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back