Fake IRS notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this happened to any of you before? Got a letter from the IRS that said I missed a lot of securities on my return. Basically, the cost was filed as the securities so the amounts become 0. I went back to my filing's pdf download and it "looks" correct on the 1040 line 13, schedule D line 16, and form 8949.

Typically my previous mistakes have been forgetting a couple sales on my part, but never having wrong sales price reported.

Further check on google reveals that they ask you to write checks to Internal Revenue Services instead of United States Treasury.

The IRS will only contact by mail, so it could be official. Verify any phone number on the letter by going to the IRS website and comparing contact numbers. If verified a real IRS phone number, then call and speak to someone to verify legitimacy of the issue.

I once got audited after a rule change and I did not correctly report stock sales. The audit letter came by mail. Turns out after the audit they owed me $100.

If the IRS receives notice that you sold stock and you report no sales you WILL be audited.

I think the scammers normally stick to robocalling/emailing. Too much money/work involved for US mail.

Be sure to confirm with the real IRS before responding.

Originally Posted By: PSS
If the IRS receives notice that you sold stock and you report no sales you WILL be audited.

I would think that they would just correct your return and mail you the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back