P1682

Status
Not open for further replies.
'07 Silverado 5.3. This morning, I started it using the key, and took my kids to the bus stop just a short distance away. Came home, ate some breakfast, and went to start the truck with the remote starter so I could go to work. (It was -9F outside.) The lights came on in response to the remote, but it did not attempt to crank. Another try gave the same result. I went out and started it using the key (started fine), and noticed the CEL was on. I am positive it was NOT on when I got home from the bus stop.

I scanned it over my lunch break and found a P1682. (An explanation for the code is here: https://www.engine-codes.com/p1682_chevrolet.html )

I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back through a couple of key starts and a couple of remote starts. Anyone have experience with this code? Any chance it could have been due to slightly lower battery voltage (due to the cold)? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Trav. I was hoping so, but thought it was maybe wishful thinking. Appreciate your input.

I agree. At very very cold temps (like -15F to -20F without windchill) after it's been sitting outside for a few days my LR3 will say transmission fault when I first start it. Once it moves a bit and gets shut down and restarted it's fine. Anything warmer and it's fine. You try sleeping outside in that weather and let's see if you complain at all.
smile.gif

Just wanted to update here for anyone who might be troubleshooting the same issue. My battery tested low using both my load tester and conductance tester. I think this was due to low temps plus not driving the truck much lately. I charged the battery and all has been well for over 2 weeks now. Thanks guys!

OK, it's back. Similar scenario today: came home for lunch, all was well. Went to remote-start the truck to go back to work, and no go. Started with key, and had a CEL. Again, P1682.

After the last update, I had tested the battery, and it was somewhat weak, so I put in a new NAPA 84-month battery. So, apparently there is an intermittent issue here. Again, I have noticed no symptoms besides the CEL (truck start well, runs well, etc).

Any advice appreciated.

Disconnect the battery!

Unplug & plug back in ALL the underhood fuse block junction connectors & the ECM connectors.
Swap the "RUN/CRANK" Relay with the "REAR DEFOG" Relay.
Swap the "PWR/TRN" Relay with the "PRK LAMP" Relay.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Disconnect the battery!

Unplug & plug back in ALL the underhood fuse block junction connectors & the ECM connectors.
Swap the "RUN/CRANK" Relay with the "REAR DEFOG" Relay.
Swap the "PWR/TRN" Relay with the "PRK LAMP" Relay.

This and go even a step further. Remove the entire underhood fusebox (its quite easy actually), and remove each fuse and relay and clean it with contact cleaner and re-assemble with di-electric grease. The underhood fusebox is not sealed and you will get corrosion on many of the fuses. This fixed the electrical niggles I was having this winter.

Thanks clinebarger and DriveHard, I will give these suggestions a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back