1.5L Honda turbo oil dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st oil change on 2017 Honda CR-V 1.5l turbo. Note the level of fuel in oil. I has 20% of oil life before I changed the oil. I did very few short trips I.e less than 10km about 20 times in 11,000 Kim’s. I would say that Honda should limit the first use of oil to 5000kms otherwise the viscosity goes below acceptable levels. What do you think?

Last edited:
There are lots of threads here regarding this engine and fuel dilution. I would go no more than 5000 miles on any oil.

I would of changed FF at like 1-2k miles but thats just me. Why not try 8000 miles and re-test? My guess is around 8k your visc will have dropped to just about threshhold.

How did the level look like on the dipstick? How much have you drained? I bet it was over 4qts. Just run premium gasoline and real synthetic oil and fuel dilution will be almost gone.

This reminds me of the first oil change I had done on my old Daihatsu back in 2007 except that my KV100, after 9000 miles, was even lower at 5.0 cst! My old car had a 1.0 litre normally aspired 3-pot so what you've found isn't unique by any means to Honda Turbos.

The good news is that your primary wear metals are relatively low and nothing to worry about. Remember that wear metal levels are usually at their highest at the first OCI as the engine beds in. I'd expect the numbers to drop back somewhat for subsequent oil changes.

I note that you're from from Canada so this oil has been subjected to driving in some exceptionally cold conditions and this will have contributed massively to the fuel dilution problem. Normally I'd say something here about Global Warming but it only revs up the mouthfrothing brigade so I won't! The other thing I've often wondered with these Honda engines is whether the coolant thermostat is set too low & oil seldom gets up to a temperature conducive to stripping condensed gasoline out of the oil.

It could of course be an issue with thin, low tension rings not adequately sealing the cylinders (the most likely cause on my Daihatsu). This kind of thing is great for fuel economy but bad for blow-by (which drives fuel dilution). Having a turbo will undoubtedly exacerbate blow-by. There's not much you can do about this.

Your Honda factory fill oil will be as good as it gets. Changing to another synthetic won't help you one iota. If the fuel dilution issue persists & bothers you, maybe move to a 5W30. With the fuel dilution, it will over time 'thin' to around about a 0W20.

If you're feeling adventurous, talk to Honda about replacing the radiator cap; one with a higher temperature set-point. It might be what this engine needs to purge the condensed gas from the sump.

I’ve dropped in Amsoil 0w20 XL and will run for 8000km at which point I’ll extract some oil and send to lab. I think I understand now why Honda puts lots of molybdenum into ff oil. Metal to metal contact is expected during breakin period and with dilution even more so. Molybdenum slows down the wear but does not prevent proper break-in. That being said I don’t think Honda’s ff is good enough to go full term without serious premature engine wear. New engineers at Honda have yet to experience long term effects of oil fuel dilution.

I have drained 3.7 or 3.8 L roughly. I check the dipsticks twice a week. If it were 4L it would smell of gasoline quite a bit at that would be more than 10%. That would also indicate a serious design flaw as well as bad software, enough to get me out of the vehicle.

These new crvs definitely do not warm up fast in cold Canadian weather and I am sure it greatly contributes to the dilution.

Very high wear metals. It's no surprise with ultra thin oil in a highly loaded, turbocharged, direct injection engine. I'll bet you a dollar the wear metals decrease markedly with higher viscosity. It seems there have been a handful of engine failures too. Keep on top of it.

Last edited:
High octane fuel and Real synthetic.

Good luck finding a real synthetic.

Wait till you hit 15Kkms.

Wear-in reports always look bad, but,
that fuel dilution% is atrocious though.

I don't know if it will go away; reads like a ring/pistion design flaw.

AGAIN.

I'm running 10w30 QSUD in my Rogue to keep the motor running smooth and powerful.

Hopefully some fresh 20 with a kv1000 in the 8 will help.

I would amend sump with a litre of 10w30.

Betcha that would help.

You can look for UOAs on my Civic. on the last UOA fuel dilution came down to a little over 3% (by Oil Analyzers). Wear metals are remarkably low even with 0w20. Design of the engine is fine, it just need proper gas/oil to work with.

Don't rush to get rid of the car. My first report looked similar but I ran factory fill for a little less - around 8kkms. Consequent reports look much better with very little fuel dilution on the last one - 3% or so. Like i mentioned before, using premium gasoline did the trick for me. Also, don't use blackstone - they are useless when it comes to fuel dilution detection and their comments is just a joke.

DI Hondas seem to have a thing for fuel dilution, with the 1.5T being the worst of the lot. Lots of owner complaints on CRV and Civic forums and Facebook and a government stop-sales order for the last month or two in China. Out of dozens of UOAs I’ve seen for this engine, BITOG poster Parshisa has the only one that looks normal on the viscosity and fuel dilution front.

And lest we think this is only a theoretical, BITOG-only issue, there are quite a few reports of stalls, CELs and replaced engine heads that grab the attention of the least-attentive owner.

Some dealers suggest Honda may be working on a fix, but there’s nothing official. This whole issue could be wrapped up in a fuel economy, emissions, LSPI prevention conundrum. Perhaps it can be solved with software updates, maybe hardware changes are needed, maybe SN Plus oils have to arrive first...

OP, right now all you can do is watch the sump level, change oil more frequently, switch to higher-octane fuel and try to document your issue with your dealer.

In the meantime, Honda seems to provide its customary level of customer service.

The problem is the 0w-20 in a turbo car. need a sheer stable oil in a turbo car. EU spec is acea a5 or a3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back