Storm clouds for electric vehicle mkt: EPA & TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
How ironic that China will lead us into the new era. Their demand for electric vehicles may keep development and research "full speed ahead" regardless of EPA.

https://www.axios.com/storm-clouds-for-t...9a5dadce71.html

Quote:
On the record: Two analysts I chatted with yesterday cautioned against assuming the EPA moves will make a big difference in automakers' behavior in the coming years.

“This is a much bigger story than the EPA. It involves a lot of other big jurisdictions, most importantly the Chinese market."
— Salim Morsy, analyst with Bloomberg New Energy Finance
He also notes the zero-emissions vehicles programs in California and other states are key, and while EPA may go after them, that would likely mean a protracted court battle.

BNEF has forecast that electrics will make up 54% of new car sales in 2040 worldwide (and nearly 60% in the U.S.). Right now they're just a blip worldwide.

Yes, the U.S. regulations matter, but their effect is limited because “the baton is being passed to market-driven considerations.”

The allure of China: The EV push in China alone, the world’s biggest market, “effectively tells the U.S. automakers that directionally speaking, they need to continue on the path they are on," Morsy said.

“It likely does not significantly sway the corporate strategy of the big three auto [original equipment manufacturers] in the U.S. and indeed all of the OEMs that sell cars in the U.S.," he said of EPA's plan.

Autotrader analyst Michelle Krebs makes a similar point in expressing doubts that automakers will back off their announcements in recent years to pour billions more dollars in new electric models and development. She said:

“If you are going to be a global player, you have got to play in China and you have got to play by China’s rules, and that means more electric vehicles and more efficient vehicles."
Chinese policy calls for sales of 7 million electric vehicles per year by 2025.

The bottom line: Krebs notes the bigger question is how to get U.S. consumers to buy more EVs, which they have yet to flock to amid low gasoline prices and a taste for larger vehicles

Originally Posted By: Danno
No way not until electrical grid is upgraded to accommodate that 2040 sales level estimate.

This seems to come up all the time. Not really because you can just charge at night if it becomes a factor. In New England peak demand now is about 15 gigawatts during the day but about 10 at night. Smart meters would just have you charge at night. Capacity is more like 18-19 gigawatts, but I'm sure as the weather gets hotter we'll get closer to peak demand.

https://www.iso-ne.com/markets-operations/system-forecast-status/three-day-system-demand-forecast

No way not until electrical grid is upgraded to accommodate that 2040 sales level estimate.

I agree with you on this, since in many areas peak demand, which is typically seen not during the workday but on hot summer nights when everyone is home and has their AC cranked can barely be met even without hordes of EVs being charged.
The widespread adoption of EVs will require significant new generation and distribution infrastructure.
Read $$$ in rate increases for all, including those who avoid EVs.
Maybe the nation's utility operators will offer rebates to those who buy IC cars?

^ This! In some areas in the summer heat with high A/C use they have brownouts and even rolling blackouts, in most parts of the country electric line are hanging on wooden poles like some sub Sahara third world hole.
No way in Hades can this decrepit obsolete US system handle the load, one ice storm took this pneumonia hole out for 3 weeks in some places and the whole place out for 2 weeks.

There is always extra capacity at night. Electric utilities have always wished for consumers to have a way to draw and store energy during night and use less from the grid during the day. EVs actually do that.

The electric trolley and subway trains were actually an electric company idea to fill a lull in consumption during commute time-- after people left their homes but before factories started production.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
There is always extra capacity at night. Electric utilities have always wished for consumers to have a way to draw and store energy during night and use less from the grid during the day. EVs actually do that.

Until you get on the solar future...then "Off Peak" becomes 10:00 to 15:00, and the most expensive electricity is afternoon, followed by overnight.

Originally Posted By: mk378

The electric trolley and subway trains were actually an electric company idea to fill a lull in consumption during commute time-- after people left their homes but before factories started production.

If a bunch of people suddenly plug in 240v (and some 120v) at 10 to 50 amps at 4:30 pm to 7 pm as they get home from work, during the summer this coincides with a lot of air conditioners also clicking on. It raises the peak. This could be solved with delay-timers on the charge units, IF most everyone used that. We would have to force them to use delay timers.

Also, let's see... what's more polluting in China- gasoline engined cars, or the coal plants that need to power EVs?

We're "collectively" (haha since we're talking about communist China) ignoring the automatic, inherent carbon sequestration that occurs when CO2 levels rise and plant and tree growth ramps up automatically, which captures the "increase" in CO2. We're also "collectively" ignoring the fact that synthesized fuels have been around since the mid 30's from the Germans...

I'll buy an EV/hybrid right after I get microchipped... which is right after the stroke of NEVER.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

This seems to come up all the time. Not really because you can just charge at night if it becomes a factor. In New England peak demand now is about 15 gigawatts during the day but about 10 at night. Smart meters would just have you charge at night. Capacity is more like 18-19 gigawatts, but I'm sure as the weather gets hotter we'll get closer to peak demand.

https://www.iso-ne.com/markets-operations/system-forecast-status/three-day-system-demand-forecast

Perhaps so but there is more to the country than New England, despite what is told. California can barely supply themselves in the summer and that is with power taken from neighboring states. Those states are starting to have issues as well since their populations are growing, mainly from the NE and Rust Belt.

Originally Posted By: hatt
China lead us? When did they start developing their own technology?

BYD in China is one of the top leaders in electric vehicle technology, especially commercial vehicles. Even has plans to build a factory in the US to handle the demand. If you've ever been to China you'll see millions of mopeds and mini bikes running around, most are electric.

Don't underestimate China.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yes here's one of those Tesla storm clouds.

I blame the driver, not Tesla. How many deaths need to be reported before these numb nuts rely less on the auto-pilot? I have two vehicles with adaptive cruise control, but my foot is always hovering above the brake. If there’s congestion, I disable it and take over. I can engine-brake and use my brakes a heck of a lot more efficiently than Subaru’s Eyesight.

Keep thinking that eV will become the main medium of transportation. Neither the US nor achina have the infrastructure or enough COAL to produce the amount of electricity for them

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yes here's one of those Tesla storm clouds.

I blame the driver, not Tesla. How many deaths need to be reported before these numb nuts rely less on the auto-pilot? I have two vehicles with adaptive cruise control, but my foot is always hovering above the brake. If there’s congestion, I disable it and take over. I can engine-brake and use my brakes a heck of a lot more efficiently than Subaru’s Eyesight.

I hear you, but meanwhile the guy behind you without the adapative cruise is busy playing Pokémon Go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Perhaps so but there is more to the country than New England, despite what is told. California can barely supply themselves in the summer and that is with power taken from neighboring states. Those states are starting to have issues as well since their populations are growing, mainly from the NE and Rust Belt.

That's just the New England grid. There's other grids all across the country. There's already some smart metering out there. Basically the price of electricity can be priced by the hour so if you want to charge up at 3pm, it will be a lot more expensive than at night where there's excess capacity. Basically the grid has some base load power plants that run all the time to handle the base load and then there are peakers out there that just run during peak electric demand. If EV's are done right, they could also help supplement the grid, plug them in all the time when not in use and charge them during off peak and use their batteries to shed load when needed.

So the pro electric car crowd believes that the only way for research to continue is for the EPA/Government to force it to take place?
Sad.

What major inventions of the last 200 years were the result of direct government intervention?

Last edited:
Midnight to five AM is when they should be charging. Chargers with intelligent timers will take care of that. As long as it's full when you leave for work, why would you care when the charger decided it was best/cheapest time ...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
So the pro electric car crowd believes that the only way for research to continue is for the EPA/Government to force it to take place?
Sad.

What major inventions of the last 200 years were the result of direct government intervention?

You mean like the atomic bomb or atomic energy? Lots of other stuff the government supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back