Oil Recommendation for BMW M2, Arizona/Track Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My first post here but I have been lurking and reading various posts for some time. I have a stock (slight tune) BMW M2 that is now up to 29,000 miles that I am beginning to track, that use (planning 10-14 days a year) combined with the very hot climate here in Arizona makes me concerned that BMW's recommended 0-30 oil is not the best match for the climate and driving conditions of the car. It's a car I plan on keeping for the duration and will likely become a dedicated track car in 4 years or so, regardless of how long I keep it I want to make sure I take good care of my cars. Currently I am planning on changing to Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 next week and also conducing a oil analysis. I believe with our weather here I can probably go with 10W-40 Redline or something similar. I have no expertise in this area so I thought I would bounce this off of all of you. Also I am planning on 5,000-6,000 mile intervals and will likely do an analysis at each or every other oil change just to be safe.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Beautiful car. Best M car since the E46! Motul is a great choice. My recommendation would be to stay with a 40-grade LL-01 approved oil and change it often if taking it to the track. I would probably reduce my OCI to sub-5k depending on track time. LL-01 oils are fairly inexpensive if you DIY an oil change. rmeuropean.com has great prices on Motul oils.

Also, highly recommend Mann oil filters. They make the best filter for euro applications imo.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Beautiful car. Best M car since the E46! Motul is a great choice. My recommendation would be to stay with a 40-grade LL-01 approved oil and change it often if taking it to the track. I would probably reduce my OCI to sub-5k depending on track time. LL-01 oils are fairly inexpensive if you DIY an oil change. rmeuropean.com has great prices on Motul oils.

Also, highly recommend Mann oil filters. They make the best filter for euro applications imo.

Agree with this. Plenty of quality 40 grade LL-01 oils to choose from. If you you didnt want a "boutique" oil like Motul you can always go with Castrol 0w40 from your local walmart.

Nice car! I'd want to really know what track days do to the oil before picking a change interval.

I'd probably change before, and then change shortly after track day and compare UOA. Go from there. See if tracking dumps a lot of fuel in there or not.

Thank you for the recommendations I will try out the Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 and do an analysis on the current oil in the car.

Originally Posted By: pruettfan
Thank you for the recommendations I will try out the Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 and do an analysis on the current oil in the car.

Castrol 0W40 would be my choice. Motul X-Cess 5W40 has same HTHS as Castrol 0W40 while being "heavier." I would say Castrol 0W40 is more sophisticated in this case.

Used to use Motul 5W40 in my 1er, and have now switched to Castrol 0W40.

I can get the Castrol for about half the price, so I change it every 6000 km.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

It's not only price. At least on paper Castrol 0W40 looks better. We know from UOA it is good oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

It's not only price. At least on paper Castrol 0W40 looks better. We know from UOA it is good oil.

That is the added bonus!

thumbsup2.gif

By Castrol 0W-40 your speaking of the Castrol Edge Synthetic correct?

Correct. Castrol EDGE 0W-40. It will say "A3/B4" on the bottle as well as "European Formula." WM has it for $27 a jug, and it often goes on sale for $21 a jug. I picked up a couple when it was on sale last. My UOA was very good with it in my X5.

Yes, you can find in Wal Mart for $27. Like it is already said, it will have on the front European Formula sign, and in the back it will have all manufacturers approvals, including BMW LL-01.
Whatever you do, skip Castrol Edge 5W40 that Wal mart started to carry. Not in the same league with Motul 5W40, Castrol 0W40 etc.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Yes, you can find in Wal Mart for $27. Like it is already said, it will have on the front European Formula sign, and in the back it will have all manufacturers approvals, including BMW LL-01.
Whatever you do, skip Castrol Edge 5W40 that Wal mart started to carry. Not in the same league with Motul 5W40, Castrol 0W40 etc.

Thanks for the warning on the 5W40, I saw that online and contemplated that.

Much appreciate the help.

From what I can tell, BMW are pulling out of LL01 approvals. It seems when they expire they aren't renewing them. The same seems to go for LL04.

I'm not a massive lover of boutique oils but I can't help but feel this is the exact situation they are there for.

I'd be looking at closing up the gap between the 100°c viscosity and 'winter' performance rating. Look for lots of SAPS, low NOACK and a high HTHS. E.g. Redline 15w40 Heavy Duty Diesel or Amsoil HDD 10w30 etc.

Originally Posted by pruettfan
Hello,

My first post here but I have been lurking and reading various posts for some time. I have a stock (slight tune) BMW M2 that is now up to 29,000 miles that I am beginning to track, that use (planning 10-14 days a year) combined with the very hot climate here in Arizona makes me concerned that BMW's recommended 0-30 oil is not the best match for the climate and driving conditions of the car. It's a car I plan on keeping for the duration and will likely become a dedicated track car in 4 years or so, regardless of how long I keep it I want to make sure I take good care of my cars. Currently I am planning on changing to Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 next week and also conducing a oil analysis. I believe with our weather here I can probably go with 10W-40 Redline or something similar. I have no expertise in this area so I thought I would bounce this off of all of you. Also I am planning on 5,000-6,000 mile intervals and will likely do an analysis at each or every other oil change just to be safe.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Actually I like your idea of Redline 10w40 at 6000 mile intervals. You're in a very hot climate, and not needing cold flow performance of 0w.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
From what I can tell, BMW are pulling out of LL01 approvals. It seems when they expire they aren't renewing them. The same seems to go for LL04.

I'm not a massive lover of boutique oils but I can't help but feel this is the exact situation they are there for.

I'd be looking at closing up the gap between the 100°c viscosity and 'winter' performance rating. Look for lots of SAPS, low NOACK and a high HTHS. E.g. Redline 15w40 Heavy Duty Diesel or Amsoil HDD 10w30 etc.

oh, really? Do you have any data on bmw dumping the LL01 and bmw LL04 approvals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back