Pin from Parking brake cable to parking brake fell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pin that holds the parking brake cable to the parking brakes/expander fell out due to some negligence from me and I’m not sure what would be the best way to put it back together. When I reassemble it, it just falls out again. I’m thinking soldering or maybe liquid steel/jb weld. What do you guys think?

Was it peened in the first place? I cannot remember if the pin is held in place by the sides of the other part of the expander.

Is it possible to wham it with a cold chisel and expand it?

I’m not sure, but it just falls out now. Thinking of crimping the sides/edges or maybe use liquid steel or solder.

It seems like we are missing something here. Is there supposed to be a retainer of some sort or another part that holds the pin in place? Knowing the make and model of car would help.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I'm thinking it may look something like this.

By jove I think you got it Trav.

On older Mercedes the pin is retained by the parking brake cam/lever mechanism.... its hard to explain. The mechanism folds over its self and is a pain to get hooked up.

Example of W124:
pic06.jpg

The pin is between the two yellow arrows, its that half circle in the middle of that wishbone-shaped lever.

That design is very similar to my E34 and shouldn't let the pin fall out. Something has to be worn or misplaced I would think.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
That design is very similar to my E34 and shouldn't let the pin fall out. Something has to be worn or misplaced I would think.

Once correctly assembled it shouldn't fall out... however getting it assembled and not having the pin fall out is tricky.

I think what happened was the connection on the cable portion, stretched out. So maybe I should try to crimp that part back? Or maybe liquid steel.

Actually with this picture you cannot see it because this pin part connects to the cable. Maybe I’ll just look on the other side and see how it’s done. But I believe they say it’s held in place is, the cable portion that connects to the pin, is crimped down on it.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
The pin is visible (at least part of it)... here's another look:

pic04.jpg

The pin should be a slip-fit and unfortunately makes is difficult to get everything in place.

Yep there it is! It just falls out when I put it back in

I was able to put it back together. Bmwpowere36m3 was correct. Nothing holds it together lol. When you close the expander, the sides of the expander holds the pin in place. I appreciate everyone who took the time to comment and help me out. You guys are much more helpful than those Mercedes forums. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back