Best $10 you can spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
At BITOG, we all take good care of our vehicles. We likely do a better job overall than 90% of the general driving public.

Hypothetically, whats the best thing you can do for your vehicle with $10 if its, (for example) a 10 year old car or truck with 150,000 miles. Assume its driven normally, in an average climate, 50/50 city highway mix. I am curious about your ideas.

Run some PEA injector cleaner? Add some MMO to the oil? Add the $10 to your oil change and get synthetic instead? Buy a premium oil filter? You tell me...

Instead of filling up with regular, fill up with premium. Either $10 worth or designate the extra $10 towards the added cost in filling up. Extra detergents in the fuel plus higher octane. In many owner's manuals it states to run at least 87 then in parenthesis it says to research higher octane. Don't have to use it every time but occasionally seems to help.

All my vehicles have made it that far. Motor oil, 15k oci with amsoil, 10k oci with any sun or 5k oci any dino. Trans and gear boxes every 50k. Nothing else done. I do fix anything small things as needed. Ive only had one car leave me stranded in 25 years all were run 100-200k. $10, new wipers!

Originally Posted By: Danno
$10 Air pressure gauge, check tires once a month. Tires is one of the most important safety feature and fuel saving device on the vehicle.

This is an excellent suggestion. If you don't already have one, then it's a good idea to get one. I use mine regularly.

This one is just a hair over $10 and is very highly rated.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Instead of filling up with regular, fill up with premium. Either $10 worth or designate the extra $10 towards the added cost in filling up. Extra detergents in the fuel plus higher octane. In many owner's manuals it states to run at least 87 then in parenthesis it says to research higher octane. Don't have to use it every time but occasionally seems to help.

You kiddin' me?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: Danno
$10 Air pressure gauge, check tires once a month. Tires is one of the most important safety feature and fuel saving device on the vehicle.

This is an excellent suggestion. If you don't already have one, then it's a good idea to get one. I use mine regularly.

This one is just a hair over $10 and is very highly rated.

I typed up a post agreeing with this suggestion earlier, but I guess I didn't actually submit it.
The only thing I don't like about the product mentioned is that it uses coin and button batteries, I have a cheap one I picked up at Ocean State Job Lot that uses AAAs that we always have around. It's a little quirky, but it functions in the end.

Don't forget about temperature when you're filling your tires...I put my summer tires on over the weekend when it was about 50F out and the tire pressures had all dropped about 2 PSI when I went to drive my daughter was to school that night and it was about 30F. You don't need to adjust your pressures hour by hour, of course, but if it's an unusually warm fall day when you pump up your tires and you know it's going to regularly be 50 degrees colder before long it's probably worth giving them a little extra. I only checked that soon because I saw something I didn't like in one of my tires and wanted to make sure it didn't have a slow leak, then I looked at them all because why not.

Me, I would think $6 for PEA injector cleaner (like Regane) and then add $4 to buy a High Mileage oil change, like MaxLife.

ELM327 OBD-II dongle
HF torque wrench for lugnuts etc
Brake fluid
a new wiper blade or two
Windex and paper towels for the inside of windows
headlight de-haze kit
LED brake light/ CHMSL bulb(s)
a gallon of antifreeze or ATF on sale-- many don't change this enough.
Black gloss spray paint to touch up stuff like the wiper blade arms that get chipped all to heck
valve cover gasket (check ebay!) my old ones shatter when they hit the trash can and make the motor look grimey.
Battery trickle charger/ terminal cleaning brush
Water injection decarb, air in the tires, rotate the tires, tighten throttle cable, adjust tranny TV cable. Vacuum/ de-trash interior. Oops, sorry, that's all free.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back