Looking for recommendation LS7 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2013 Corvette z06 with the ls7 motor. I must suck at searching as I cannot find a thread about it. The motor has been aroung since 2006/7 and is in wide use. I used both Redline and Pennzoil synthetics in my 2004 z06 ls6 motor. Thanks if you can help. Only full synthetics for my performance cars. This will be a street & track car and I won't be changing oil for track.

What he said
smile.gif

Anything dexos2 should serve your needs. Since you like Pennzoil, know that Walmart carries the PP Euro L 5w30, which meets dexos2 standards. If you prefer a 40, they also have Valvoline Synthetic MST 5w40

Do you still use the OCI suggested by your OLM? I'm sure it takes track usage into account
19.gif

Castro Edge Euro 0w40
M1 Euro 0w40 or ESP 0w40
Valvoline 5w40 MST
Pennzoil Platinum 0w40 Euro

In no particular order.

Fram Ultra Filter or Napa Gold

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Anything dexos2 should serve your needs. Since you like Pennzoil, know that Walmart carries the PP Euro L 5w30, which meets dexos2 standards. ...

Hmm, I know I've seen this oil at WM before but they didn't seem to have it at the one where I stopped last night. Looked like they were low on stock in general, though...will keep an eye out for it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Mobil 1 ESP 0w40.

This won't be showing up in retail stores until at least the end of the summer to early fall though. It's only in a small number of GM dealers right now and they aren't selling it to the public, they are only using it for oil changes in their service bay.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

The Fram Ultra does not have the proper 22psi bypass valve for this engine.

There is a new Napa Gold out that does, it's part number 100290, but it's so new that you probably won't find it at Napa just yet. Wix has the same filter too, it's WL10290

Originally Posted By: Patman
There is a new Napa Gold out that does, it's part number 100290, but it's so new that you probably won't find it at Napa just yet. Wix has the same filter too, it's WL10290
Patman said:
There is also an XP/Platinum version

Wix WL10290XP
or
Napa 4100290

The XP and Platinum versions don't get a lot of love on here, the filtering efficiency is not that good apparently.

Originally Posted By: froggy47
This will be a street & track car and I won't be changing oil for track.

What oil viscosity does the owner's manual show for track use?

Originally Posted By: froggy47
I have a new to me 2013 Corvette z06 with the ls7 motor. I must suck at searching as I cannot find a thread about it. The motor has been aroung since 2006/7 and is in wide use. I used both Redline and Pennzoil synthetics in my 2004 z06 ls6 motor. Thanks if you can help. Only full synthetics for my performance cars. This will be a street & track car and I won't be changing oil for track.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...c_Motor_Oil.pdf

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

The Fram Ultra does not have the proper 22psi bypass valve for this engine.

The funny part is, even the new series engines come off the lot with the standard straight PF63, which has the lower bypass.

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16

The funny part is, even the new series engines come off the lot with the standard straight PF63, which has the lower bypass.

No they don't, when I changed the oil in my 2018 Corvette for the first time I pulled off a PF64, which has the proper 22psi bypass valve.

Must have been a change, my 18 came with PF63. Also Every new series V8 gm has had from 2014 that requires the PF63E as a replacement for oil change had came straight from the factory with the standard non ecore PF63. If the bypass pressure was a problem they would never have put the lower bypass pressure nocore PF63 on them.in the first place. The PF63E had been out long before 2014.

I am afraid you are mistaken, the LT1 Corvette has never had any other filter other than the PF64. Below are pages from the 2014 owner's manual and the 2018 owner's manual:

That's correct filter for Corvette, the LS based and new EcoTec3 based engines that they say are to have this newer higher by pass filter come from the factory with the lower bypass filter. I took his questions regarding the buy pass pressure being a consern not paying attention to the Corvette part. I'm not saying it isn't a bad idea to use the newer higher bypass filter. But if it was truly a consern they would not put the lower bypass on from the factory on engines they say need the higher bypass I've had a 2011 2015 2017 and now and now a 2018 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2 base Motor and all have the standard lower bypass PF63 oil filter on from the factory, but call for the PF63E which has the ecore and higher by pass. That's were by comment came from. Not necessarily that it was too a Corvette. Also thre was a bulletin put out awhile back about incorrect oil filter labeling

#PIP5157: LT1 Engines May Have Been Built With An Oil Filter That Has An Incorrect Label - (Oct 17, 2013)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
Some early LT1 engines may have been built with an oil filter that has an incorrect label on the can.

The filter is correct. However, the label is wrong.

Recommendation/Instructions
Replacement of the filter for the incorrect label concern is not necessary.

The technician needs to be sure to replace the OE filter with the correct PF64 when it is time for an oil and filter change.

The incorrect label says to replace the oil filter with a PF63. The correct service part is a PF64 part # 12640445.

Filter with the wrong label

Object ID: 3633899Click here for detailed picture of the image.
Filter with the right label

Object ID: 3633900

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back