Help with Thunderbird email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently thunderbird updated overnight. I don't like the new layout and can't find a way to change it. The biggest thing is the font. The characters are so small that it is hard for me to read and I can't find a way to change it. I should know how to do this but can't figurer it out. The biggest problem is that Mozilla has loaded thunderbird with umpteen features, most of which I don't want or use.

I have not used T-bird in a good long while and I don't even know what version is current. If you want, though, you can likely uninstall and reinstall the last current version.

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

That page has all of their releases. It looks like as of this writing 52.7 is the latest non-beta current; so 52.6 would be the last one you liked? If that is the case you'd need to click through a few options for OS and language. Presuming you are on Windows and speak US English you'll end up here: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/52.6.0/win32/en-US/

Mine didn't change. I know windows has a setting to make viewing easier, perhaps you disabled the windows setting?

For me, the font size in Thunderbird has gone bonkers a number of versions back. I am overriding it by using an add-on called "Theme Font & Size Changer", but I've had issues with the latest version of that add-on so I'm using an older version 56.0, I believe.

Blast from the past, I haven't used or even heard mention of Thunderbird in at least 20 years. Glad to hear it's still around and kicking.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Blast from the past, I haven't used or even heard mention of Thunderbird in at least 20 years. Glad to hear it's still around and kicking.

Mozilla seems to have allocated additional resources in recent months to help revamp/modernize Thunderbird's UI to bring it to 21st century. As is typical during such transformations, they end up making some things better while other things worse.

Personally, I don't care about a revamp. I've been using it for 10+ years on various Windows and Linux machines, and like it just fine the way it was.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Eudora's gone, but it looks like Pegasus Mail is still alive!

Not sure if this will apply to T-Bird ...definately applies to Outlook and is a general windows not well known "Feature"

Go into the app and make active the window/pane where the font size needs adjust. Press and hold the CTRL key and rotate the mouse roller/middle button to ZOOM IN/OUT in that view. In outlook the folder pane, preview pane and reading/sending panes all have individual ZOOM levels you can adjust.

Frequently at work users accidentally CTRL/Roller the ZOOM on a read or send pane and it will stay at that zoom till you change it back. And it only affects that view or pane. Users then start to meddle with font sizes and such till their profile is all jacked up. Good luck.

Are you using HTML email or plain text? The latter is the "proper way" to do email, mostly because I said so.
wink.gif
In any case, which way you're doing it will affect how to address this. Are you using Windows or Linux, while we're at it?

Generally speaking, it's under Preferences > Display > Formatting where you'll find plain text font options. For HTML mail, that will be under Preferences > Composition. This is something I've gone through a few times over the years with Thunderbird and its predecessors.

Thanks folks, lots of good info. I used Eudora for years, bur lost it in a system crash. I started over with thunderbird, which was simple and easy to use. it has since swelled with all sorts of features I don't need or want. If I wanted all that stuff I could use outlook. What I want is a simple easy to use email client.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Thanks folks, lots of good info. I used Eudora for years, bur lost it in a system crash. I started over with thunderbird, which was simple and easy to use. it has since swelled with all sorts of features I don't need or want. If I wanted all that stuff I could use outlook. What I want is a simple easy to use email client.

When I was last using Windows a lot, Eudora was experimenting with adware, so that tells you how long ago it was. I remember it had a setting to use system fonts or something like that.

Thunderbird is still pretty good. I spent years trying to find the ideal email client, and losing Eudora didn't help. The key to me has always been to get the settings the way I want, stick with plain text email, and leave well enough alone once it's in order. All the email labels and extraneous stuff, I just ignore.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There is one called MailBird that's supposed have a pretty simplistic UI. I haven't used it personally, but it might be worth a look. There are others, too...

How about elm or mutt?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back