2014 Chevy sonic 1.8 Mobil 1, 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first ever oil analysis, and the first time I've ever ran oil 5000 miles (oh boy). This is my wife's 2014 Chevy Sonic 1.8. The engine has port injection and a timing belt so i was hoping it would be easy on the oil. Driving pattern is lots of short trips, at least 75% city driving. This sample was run through a cold MN winter. Pretty pleased with the results overall, comments appreciated.

Oil is standard Mobil 1 5w30 dexos 1 gen 1 oil with an AcDelco OEM filter (cartridge type).

Code:

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 8

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu)
Tin (Sn) 2

Aluminium (Al) 3

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)

Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 5

Sodium (Na) 7

Potassium (K) 4

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 432

Calcium (Ca) 1337

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 689

Zinc (Zn) 818

Molybdenum (Mo) 49

Boron (B) 30

Contaminants

Water (%)
Coolant No

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 9.7

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.2

Pretty nice looking report for a short tripped car! Viscosity held up well.
The moly and magnesium levels look a little low to me for M1, but that could just be me.

I forgot to mention i had a bit of an oops while collecting this sample. Poor planning on my part got my hand caught with the little plastic bottle filled with hot oil between the oil pan and oil catch pan. This lead to me burning my hand and dropping the collection bottle in the oil catch pan. It was fairly clean before i started but i was worried about contamination.

I want to say it was between 20-30%. Think it was shooting me out to a 7500 mile oci.

Man, those Honda engines are great wearing motors!
but, I wouldn't expect less.

OMG its a Chevy!

Nevermind!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice report and kudos for working up to a longer OCI. I don't blame you for capping it at 5k for a winter run though. It looks like you could definitely go further with confidence in warm or cold weather.

Nice report mate.
Iron at 8ppm in 5k miles is very good, viscosity at KV100 = 9.7 cSt is still fine, ample TBN left at 3.2 to extend another 1000 miles if you want.

Good looking report, just what most people would like to see.

That regular M1 5W30 has a nice add pack with 818 ppm Zinc and 49 ppm Moly. Some others give less zinc, while I think an ILSAC oil should give you the full ILSAC limit of ZDDP, and your M1 5W30 does.

I've often thought that regular M1 5W30 is a nice balanced oil package that should work well in most regular cars. It certainly has for you.

I was waiting for the "Why didn't you run that longer!?" and "waste of good oil" people. But i guess i snuck under the radar.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back