1911 Pistol options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
been awhile since ive been here. But I find this site to be a valuable and trusted source of info.

So I've always been a gun owner, but recently I have a desire to get myself a 1911 style firearm.
Any recommendations as to what brand? Up to $1000 is my budget.

Ruger?
Springfield?
RIA?
Colt?

Im open to all brands. Just looking for opinions and feedback.

Thanks

I've always liked the Para Ordnance double stack 1911's, this is what I own. Clearly the Para is not the highest quality 1911, in my case only a Wolff spring set was required to make it perform perfectly.

The inexpensive option may be the Rock Island brand, and many people love 'em.
Springfield makes a nice classic mil-spec 1911.
And I've always liked the Kimber versions.
Colt is always OK, but also not the pinnacle of quality.

I've not tried the Ruger version.

The features I like are the larger/ambi thumb safety, larger beavertail, and a bobtail grip. The bobtail makes a huge difference in shooting comfort and ability to conceal. My personal favorite is the Smith and Wesson E-Series SC1911 with the alloy frame. Absolutely a fantastic shooter.

For something off the wall there is always the 357 magnum 1911 made by Coonan. My friend has one, it's a powerhouse.

http://www.coonaninc.com/product/357-magnum-classic/

hqdefault.jpg

I own a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer (Match grade barrel, tight bushing, adjustable sights, good trigger, stainless finish) in .45 ACP. Street Price about $800. Flawless right out of the box. Well made. Very accurate. Great pistol.

I own a Colt 1911 Competition (NM barrel, tight bushing, dual recoil spring system, fiber optic front sight, blued finish) in .38 Super. Paid $750 on Gunbroker, so about $800 with shipping and transfer fees. Very accurate, shoots great, but the thumb safety wasn't right. It was hard to put into "safe"...mushy and difficult..it worked once there, and wasn't hard to click back into the "fire" position. I had to do some tuning/stoning on the safety, like I was installing a new thumb safety.

While I like the Colt a lot, and it shoots great, you shouldn't have to tune/modify a gun out of the box.

I've heard good things about the Rock Island offerings. No first hand experience.

I would recommend either of the guns I've got, Colt or SA, but be forewarned that a bit of tuning might be required on the Colt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
A couple of years ago I bought a slightly used stainless Tias ( Turkey ) 1911 in " tactical " configuration . Have not shot it a lot , but it seems to shoot good .

Kind of like this ;

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...ss+Walnut+Grips

The Turks are some of the best at cloning pistols. Many of their Sig and CZ-75 clones shoot as good or better than the real McCoy.

Don't discount Sig for 1911s. You will find they are as smooth as ones costing a fair bit more--they're not Nighthawk/Wilson/Baer smooth, but, to my "finger dyno" of smoothness, I'd put them on par with Dan Wessons.

They have classic styled models, and ones that have a bit of "sig-ness" to them--a little extra siginess on the slide, etc., but they function just the same.

Just curious (might be considered a dumb question to 1911 purists), but what caliber are you looking for? (I have an itch for a 10mm)

Also, are you open to new and used options?

Been very happy with my Kimber 1911. It does have a full length guide rod (if that bothers you). After shooting and owning a lot of custom 1911s, the Kimber is a really good value for what you get. Springfield makes a good one as well.

9MM and try to boost the budget to $2000 and you will have a favorite go to pistol.

I paid $299 for my Rock Island 1911 13 years ago

Even if it is $400 now, it’s still well worth it!

Originally Posted By: CT8
9MM and try to boost the budget to $2000 and you will have a favorite go to pistol.

HUH?!?!?

CZ-75’s don’t cost $2000
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

( my favorite pistol, ever… Hands-down! )

Seriously.... Spend some quality time with the CZ-75,
You’ll forget all about wanting to own a 1911

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Greetings,
been awhile since ive been here. But I find this site to be a valuable and trusted source of info.

So I've always been a gun owner, but recently I have a desire to get myself a 1911 style firearm.
Any recommendations as to what brand? Up to $1000 is my budget.

Ruger?
Springfield?
RIA?
Colt?

Im open to all brands. Just looking for opinions and feedback.

Thanks

You didn't mention if you want Goverment Issue configuration or one with the more modern and popular upgrades like the beavertail, ambi safety, long trigger, etc etc. Some guys only want what J M Browning intended. You can buy a basic GI 1911 made offshore for $400 and you can buy a nice USA made Ruger in different models up to your limit. Lots of choices in between. What's your intended use? The 9mm 1911s are really nice shooters and less expensive to shoot but some see them as heresy. You could probably get into a nice Colt Gold Cup for $1000.

Someone will probably bring up MIM internal parts...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: CT8

HUH?!?!?

CZ-75’s don’t cost $2000
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You’ll forget all about wanting to own a 1911

+100!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Someone will probably bring up MIM internal parts...

They can look crude, sometimes...

But, hey - - “function over form”

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Been very happy with my Kimber 1911. It does have a full length guide rod (if that bothers you). After shooting and owning a lot of custom 1911s, the Kimber is a really good value for what you get. Springfield makes a good one as well.

What he said!

Colt, or if you can stretch the budget a little Dan Wesson. If price is super important, Springfield Armory.

At your budget I wouldn’t even consider anything else.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
CT8 said:

HUH?!?!?

CZ-75’s don’t cost $2000
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You’ll forget all about wanting to own a 1911 [/quot A $2000.00 limit will cover a huge range of nice 1911s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back