I've lost it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck needed new shocks, so I brought it to "my Guy", told him to give it a once over and lube the front end, he asks, need an oil change? I was due in a few hundred miles, so I said, yeah go ahead, synthetic he asks, I say nah, just dino please. So I now have an unknown 15w40 circulating through my Duramax, unknown filter and I'm not the least bit curious or concerned.. The wife's Rav 4 just popped the message that it's time for maintenance , so we rode the factory fill for just about 5,000 miles. Dealer is going to do it, using Toyota synthetic whatever. I've lost "the oil fever" I guess. hmmmmmm, didn't think I'd see the day !!!!!
confused2.gif

Last week I called the dealership and got a price quote on timing belt change and coolant flush, and even requested a brake pad inspection since it's free.

What's it coming to when not just DIYer's but BITOG DIYer's start callin' up the dealership for service?

Just to be safe, checked with my pastor and confirmed hel1 hadn't frozen over.

Pretty much agree.
I choose oil on API rating, oils all do the job they are supposed to, most everything else is marketing.
In the old days that wasnt true, it is now as even concedes Consumer Reports who decades ago would be able to show large differences in oil but no longer.

Add to that the clean burning engines of today and the OCI is pretty much written in stone compared to the old days.

I do still enjoy changing my own oil, its actually easier and faster for me then taking it to a place, sitting in a chair waiting and paying more for whatever brand of cheap oil they put in.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Last week I called the dealership and got a price quote on timing belt change and coolant flush, and even requested a brake pad inspection since it's free.

What's it coming to when not just DIYer's but BITOG DIYer's start callin' up the dealership for service?

hel1 hadn't frozen over

Their hockey team lost last night.

Now that I have an automobile with an OLM, I just set it and forget it. I recently had a UOA done on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It held up really well for a 10k OCI, which is when my OLM seems to trigger. I will continue with PUP or Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic. PUP is no longer stocked at my Wal-Mart. So, unless I can find good deals online with shipping, it is VML.

The "it" in your OP is no big deal especially when you have a trusted guy to do what you ask.

Dealing with a food addiction, you say? Try eating nothing you haven't made yourself.

Replace cereal with oatmeal. Eat tuna salads instead of sandwiches. Cook anything for dinner rather than eating out or "box mixes".

That'll get you started.

I stopped changing my Wife's oil. So she gets so-so service at the Subaru dealer and so-so Idemitsu 0w20 "water" for oil for about 300 buck. You should hear that (relatively NEW) boxer engine at the end of a 70 mile highway run. Horrendous clatter.

Id have Valvoline or QSUD in there with a Champ Labs filter. Then she'd hum.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The "it" in your OP is no big deal especially when you have a trusted guy to do what you ask.

Dealing with a food addiction, you say? Try eating nothing you haven't made yourself.

Replace cereal with oatmeal. Eat tuna salads instead of sandwiches. Cook anything for dinner rather than eating out or "box mixes".

That'll get you started.

I'd be dead in a week !
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Originally Posted By: Kira

That'll get you started.

I'd be dead in a week !
grin.gif

We are all cuckoo-motor-heads here so amaze us...

If I can go from a complete dork to do medium renovations in 3 houses and change my oil and some parts, then you can do some cooking too.

Now what is your food addiction?

P.S. back to topic. I have a new-ish VW Golf Wagen. only 6k miles so I will need to replace the oil at probably time (1 year), not mileage. I will go to dealer for the next 2 years (warranty expires). Just for warranty records...

Food addiction might be over stretching the truth, but I do binge from time to time, my problem is movement. My job has put me behind a desk more and hands on less. Winter is the worst, but now that the weather is breaking, I'll be outside and being more active.

I just got a "fabulous" deal from the dealership in the mail. $178 to replace the disc brake pads, per axle, and turn the rotors.
sick.gif
Today I'll hopefully be finishing the front on my wife's Frontier (did the rears last Friday). When done, I will have replaced the rotors and pads, with NAPA Ultra Preminum rotors and carquest Professional Platinum brake pads for less than $160, thanks to discounts and promotions. I will able to clean and lube everything, and finish off by bleeding the brakes. I think I'll keep trying to DIM as long as my body can take it.

Last edited:
I do not change oil / filter or mechanical repairs because I like it .

I am cheap , I do it to save money .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back