FlexHead Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on a decent quality 3/8" drive flexed ratchet that won't break the bank. Would prefer one with a longer handle to help with loosening stubborn fasteners. I don't need one for heavy or daily mechanic work, just a once in a while DIY'er.

+1 on the Craftsman. Have 2 of those from different generations and just recently a HF with extendable handle. Haven't broken any yet.

Napa/Carlysle, hands down. It swivels on the axis of the ratchet hub rather than at the wrist so it doesn't try to fold over when a decent amount of torque is applied. Lifetime warranty, but if you get a good one and aren't usng it every day it'll last a good long time.

Well, Harbor Freight might fit the bill.
If your budget can afford 1 nice ratchet, you can get the Snap On long handle flex head for $120.
You won't be sorry; I flat-out love mine.

I’ve been more than happy with my Husky (Home Depot) ratchets. I like them better than my older set of Craftsmans.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've had a Craftsman 3/8" flex head ratchet for at least 15 years and it's been great. Good leverage. Not a fine tooth, but I've not really needed a fine tooth, this one always gets the job done.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-3-8-in-drive-flex-head-quick-release-teardrop-ratchet

thumbsup2.gif
I use mine all the time, no problems with it ever. I have mine as long as you if not longer, great tool for the money.

Quote:
Autozone has one that's almost an exact snap on copy.

Yup, and it's a great ratchet. I think you're talking about the one with the batwing mechanism inside, I've had that for more than ten years now and it's my go to ratchet.

It feels so good in the hand, looks great too and the price is of course good. The flexhead has saved me many times in really tight places.

The old Craftsman were very good but don't confuse the trash they peddle now with them, the new ones are Chinese scrap metal.

This Proto is a good tool, its actually made by Facom in Italy or France. Good buy for the money.

Proto

The Williams is USA made and basically an old Snap On. With 36T it should be good and strong.

Williams

I have the Proto J5257F linked below. Amazon shows it as 8.5", but the length is actually 10.5". Proto increased the length along the way but did not change their catalog listing. Just an FYI to the original poster. It's a great ratchet.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The old Craftsman were very good but don't confuse the trash they peddle now with them, the new ones are Chinese scrap metal.

This Proto is a good tool, its actually made by Facom in Italy or France. Good buy for the money.

Proto

The Williams is USA made and basically an old Snap On. With 36T it should be good and strong.

Williams

Originally Posted By: E365
I’ve been more than happy with my Husky (Home Depot) ratchets. I like them better than my older set of Craftsmans.

I have been using a Home Depot flex-head Husky for a while now and like it because of the fine teeth, length, angle lock and quick release.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Napa/Carlysle, hands down. It swivels on the axis of the ratchet hub rather than at the wrist so it doesn't try to fold over when a decent amount of torque is applied. Lifetime warranty, but if you get a good one and aren't usng it every day it'll last a good long time.

Agreed! If you're looking for a flex head, I'd suggest getting a roto ratchet.

I wonder if SK Wayne still makes the one I bought 50 years ago. It is different than all the others. It pivots in the center of the socket, and you can spin loose bolts/nuts with it. I would hate to be without it. I wore out the mechanism a few years ago, and they gave me a repair kit and it is like new again.

Look at Harbor Freight and AutoZone Duralast, $20.

Home Depot and AutoZone carry Titan which has a flex head on the axis. KD makes an axis flex.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Proto

Williams

The Proto looks like it will fit into some small spaces!

I'll know more when it arrives on Thursday (Prime shipping)...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back