How long would you run QS-HM for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing the PQIA results for the QS-HM 5w30, I went ahead and switched to it. I've been contemplating on using this oil before but wasn't sure. Additive package is great, and has a strong TBN. With the info in the link below, how much would you run this oil for? 5-6k miles? It's a syn-blend but I don't think it's 50-50.

http://pqiadata.org/QuakerState_Defy_HM_5W30.html

Last edited:
I would think 5-6K is not a problem with that oil which has a nice amount of moly and boron.
Of course, if you are commuting a mile or two each way (short tripping) any oil will deplete faster.

Sure, at least 5K miles and if there is enough hiwy mile baked in, go 6K.
Keep in mind that most or all conventional(dino) oils(standard or high mileage) in the 5W20 & 5W30(not 10W30-10W40) are already a synthetic blends. Even says so on most oil company sites. Even if they don't have as much synthetic oil mixed in as a dedicated/marketed synthetic blend, they're still a blend. So, use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
After seeing the PQIA results for the QS-HM 5w30, I went ahead and switched to it. I've been contemplating on using this oil before but wasn't sure. Additive package is great, and has a strong TBN. With the info in the link below, how much would you run this oil for? 5-6k miles? It's a syn-blend but I don't think it's 50-50.

In a NA non-DI vehicle it should go 10k unless it's all short trips. I you're trying to go further, pull a sample at 5k and leave it in pending results.

I've used QS DEFY 5w30 when it first came to market in my area and it may have been the quietest oil(if you can call an oil quiet)that I've ever used. Amazing!

I personally would have no problems running that oil out past 7,500 miles in my Fusion.. Then again, I pretty much always run 7,500 mile OCIs. In all honesty, I have no doubt it would make it to 10,000 miles without issue in a clean modern NA engine.

I would not run a 5W-30 QS dino past 5K. Won't run a QS synthetic past 8K.
Just ran Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic for 7K - then pulled it. My driving habits are 35-65 highway/city.

I am 1st and last owner of my vehicles. Run them 16-18 years.

That oil looks good on paper -- would have no problems running it 5000 miles or longer depending on highway or city driving.

Dale

My car is mainly on highways. Our small town is surrounded by 3 highways, so it's easy to get on one and drive. I drive 55 miles a day.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

5K-7.5K with a good synthetic oil filter (FRAM ULTRA or WIX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back