2005 Buick Lacrosse Insturment Cluster Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cousin of mine recently purchased a used Buick . The instrument cluster has problems , along with the remote key fob .

None of the functions of the 2 key fobs work .

Odometer & the display that shows trip , gas milage , etc. work all the time or most of the time . They woke up for a short time when codes were reset ( I am told ) .

Does this sound like an insturment cluster problem or Body Control Module problem or something else ?

Thanks , :)

Did you check the batteries in the key fobs? If they are good they may not be programmed to the car.

You are talking about the display on the IC going out, correct? Its the IC itself is bad.

The battery's have been replaced .

Cousin says speedo works . The MPG , trip , battery voltage , odometer , etc. do not work . I think he said the tach & gas gauge work .

I had a 2005 Impala that had the instrument cluster go out. Is your cousin's Buick from that era? I could have went to a salvage yard to buy the cluster but had other problems with the car as well. I got rid of the car instead. It was a lemon. There were many complaints about the instrument cluster during that time on the internet with people wanting a recall. It didn't happen. I said that I would never own another Impala. However, a few years later I got an offer I couldn't refuse and that Impala has lasted for many years.

GM cluster rebuilding is a cottage industry. Do an Ebay search.... or a CL search. They are all over the place. Most in my area (MN) charge about $100.00 for a full rebuild.

And yes, my 01 Tahoe will need to get done this year.

I had that problem with my 2005 Chevy truck. A local speedometer shop replaced all the stepper motors in the instrument cluster and it has worked like new for over a year. I removed the cluster and took it to them and they repaired it in one day. IIRC it was about $200.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I had a 2005 Impala that had the instrument cluster go out. Is your cousin's Buick from that era? I could have went to a salvage yard to buy the cluster but had other problems with the car as well. I got rid of the car instead. It was a lemon. There were many complaints about the instrument cluster during that time on the internet with people wanting a recall. It didn't happen. I said that I would never own another Impala. However, a few years later I got an offer I couldn't refuse and that Impala has lasted for many years.

2005 Buick Lacrosse

Sounds like one module not talking to another

The part where everything lights up when codes are reset makes me think that, and a ground perhaps flaking out intermittently

The remotes need fresh batteries and independent testing to make sure it's not two separate problems, or a coincidence

A more sophisticated scan tool (think Tech 2 or MDI) would be nice, can scan and address all individual modules

IIRC with my Bonneville, there's an app in the Play Store that can do the same with an ELM327 type device

Parts stores usually have a tester that shows if the key fob is emitting a signal when the button is pressed. If it does not the battery and/or the fob is dead. If you do have a signal you likely need to reprogram the car to match the fob, or the receiver in the car is bad.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I had that problem with my 2005 Chevy truck. A local speedometer shop replaced all the stepper motors in the instrument cluster and it has worked like new for over a year. I removed the cluster and took it to them and they repaired it in one day. IIRC it was about $200.

My dad just had to do this recently with his 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500. The speedo was acting crazy. Cost by a local garage was $300.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
A cousin of mine recently purchased a used Buick . The instrument cluster has problems , along with the remote key fob .

None of the functions of the 2 key fobs work .

Odometer & the display that shows trip , gas milage , etc. work all the time or most of the time . They woke up for a short time when codes were reset ( I am told ) .

Does this sound like an insturment cluster problem or Body Control Module problem or something else ?

My dad also has this same car and a couple of years ago had to have the entire dash module replaced for the same reason. It seems to be a known problem. I can't remember the exact cost but I think it was like $600 at the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back