"Special" trans fluid for 2017 Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
More out of curiosity than anything. A buddy has a 2017 Tundra and swears he cannot use any Transmission/TC fluid other than the "special" OEM Toyota stuff at $81/quart. Curious as to whether there is anything to this, or if there is a regularly-available off-the-shelf fluid that is "just as good." Figured if anyone would know, someone here would...

He said the local dealer was $81 per quart. And my buddy is a car guy that builds cars and such, but the Tundra is under warranty and he tows with it so he was trying to stay with OEM stuff. I can't imagine what is so special about this stuff that it would cost so much though. Hence why I asked here!

Wouldn´t that be the Toyota WS? If so, a lot of people are replacing it with Valvoline Maxlife ATF multivehicle, with great results. I use Dexron VI in my Corolla for 20k without issues. The original WS with 100K came out very dirty, almost any fluid would be better than that mud. But WS doesn´t cost 81 bucks a quart ...

Last edited:
He’s probably talking about this precious fluid for the Transfer Case: Toyota Transfer Gear Oil 75w. 08885-81080. There are a lot of FJ, Tundra, 4Runner owners who have called [censored] and just gone with a 75w-85 or 90 gear oil and never looked back. I’m one of them.

Yep me too. Rav4 transfer case should have that too. I just use Redline in it. I have yet to see where any OEM oil is any better a boutique oil. Granted this is suppose to be a hair different, but I just change it out every year with my rear diff oil since the Rav4's AWD clutch plates are in the rear diff and you have less then a QT of oil to dissipate the clutch particulates. Look at how uninspiring WS is. WS is a 20,000 mile oil at best in my eyes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irish44j
He said the local dealer was $81 per quart. And my buddy is a car guy that builds cars and such, but the Tundra is under warranty and he tows with it so he was trying to stay with OEM stuff. I can't imagine what is so special about this stuff that it would cost so much though. Hence why I asked here!
The ultimate question would be, what is your options you could use without voiding the warranty? If Toyota don't allow you to use nothing else, than they have to give there stuff for free while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
He’s probably talking about this precious fluid for the Transfer Case: Toyota Transfer Gear Oil 75w. 08885-81080. There are a lot of FJ, Tundra, 4Runner owners who have called [censored] and just gone with a 75w-85 or 90 gear oil and never looked back. I’m one of them.
+1
For components protection, I would prefer :
75W90 to 75W85;
75W85 to 75W80; and
75W80 to 75W ........where KV@40*C (and if need be KV@100*C) is higher of the two.

What does the OEM manual say for the x-case and differential?
They are purely mechanical gear sets and many folks here have used 75W90/75W110.

Originally Posted By: 1000MPH

Yeah, I checked our discussion and he is referring to TC oil, not transmission.

Sorry I’m late with my reply, still getting used to this forum’s lack of notifications. The other issue is most Toyota dealers don’t use this fluid and won’t even order it. I’m not surprised, I ordered a case of 0w-20 in qts from my local Lexus dealer and they told me they don’t have it, won’t order it, and no one’s ever asked for it.

I ran regular 75W-90 gear oil in both my Tundra's and Wife's FJ cruiser that called out that unicorn tears 75W-85 stuff Toyota specs with no issue. Most Toyota dealers do not even carry it and service with 75W-90 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back