Time to trade or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if i want to keep my 11 cruze ls. Many problems with thermostat and now i have to replace the timing belt.

I have a smoking deal on a 2017 hyundai accent hatchback with only 2500 km on the odo. Its a demo vehicle.

What is your opinion on trading vehicles? Better to have a monthly payment with a warranty and peace of mind, or keep my old car and add some parts and hope for the best?

My cruze engine is the 1.8 and has a small leak (i think they all leak).

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
I'm not sure if i want to keep my 11 cruze ls. Many problems with thermostat and now i have to replace the timing belt.

Replace the thermostat. Replace the timing belt. Keep on driving.

I prefer the no payment route but maybe trading is the way to go before you have to put money into the one you have and while it is still worth a good trade in value. Tough decision. The longer you wait the bigger your payment will be unless you stuff some cash away. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Id sell independently and than buy or swap.

Fix the problems and sell or disclose problems or buyer beware? Sometimes it's easier and cleaner to trade to a dealer and let them recondition as they see fit and be done with it.

I just had a hyundai accent hatchback rental car. Drove it in the hilly areas of western PA. You couldnt give me that car. No thanks... About the worst car Ive driven in recent memory.

Pros: Lots of legroom, seat goes back far, good headroom. Good stereo.

Cons: About the rest. Odd transmission, weak engine, horrible tires and handling.

Meanwhile, the Cruze has been about the best rental car Ive driven in recent memory, FWIW...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Sounds like a great trade to me!

Sarcasm? Did I miss where he described the new(er) car?

If you want a new car, get it. If your old car is reasonably reliable, it NEVER makes sense, financially, to trade.

My mom traded her Lexus in on a newer one, because it needed “a lot of work” (literally just tires and brakes). She just wanted a newer car...

It’s OK to have New-car-itus. Not much room for convincing you against, if you’re afflicted.

We have a 2015 Chevy Sonic with the same 1.8l engine & automatic . No leaks that I know of , at about 45,000 miles .

How many miles on your car ?

Financially it probably doesn't make sense. But sometimes you buy what you like, if it's reasonable.

I did this with the Sonata. I could totally still be driving my Camry and saving hundreds of dollars a month. But I wanted a more comfortable car, and it's a lot nicer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Replace the thermostat. Replace the timing belt. Keep on driving.

This. Mine's even the 1.4T and the only fluid I have to add is a couple ounces of antifreeze every 4-6 months. And you shoulda researched it enough when you bought the car to know you were signing up for a timing belt.

Say no to the Accent. You'd have to look long and hard to find a worse new car.

In fact, I'd say look at a new Cruze. They are quite good.

Last edited:
Lots of good opinions here, but in the end aren't you going to do what you want to do anyway? It may just be me, but its hard to imagine someone making their decision for something like this based on an internet discussion.

It's a decision you have to make. All vehicles are going to run into problems on top of regular maintenance costs. It sounds like the Cruze still has some life left after the leak is repaired and timing belt replaced. Those new car payments will add up to a lot more than the cost of the belt replacement and leak repair.

However, if you are ready to make the switch to a new car and your finances allow it...go for it! May I recommend you look into VW's line up. Here in the states they have some pretty sweet deals on new ones.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Say no to the Accent. You'd have to look long and hard to find a worse new car.

In fact, I'd say look at a new Cruze. They are quite good.

Also available with:

The 1.8 engine has a decent reputation. I wouldn't trade the Cruze for a Hyundai; you're trading a decent car for about the most bottom of the line car there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back