I think the feel of leather and vinyl seats sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is on business travel this week and took my car to keep the miles off of her Audi, so I'm stuck with hers.
My VW has cloth seats, her Audi has leather. I simply don't like the feel of leather compared to cloth. Vinyl is even worse than leather.

I like cloth better to. I have leather in my current vehicle and it's to slippery. When I have to slam on the brakes....everything hits the floor.

The cloth seats in both Focuses are itchy. The leather in the Golf is blissful. Not to mention if anything spills in the Golf I can just wipe it away.

I have to disagree with you.

Yeah I'm not a fan of leather. Too much maintenance keeping them clean and conditioned. I just keep Costco seat covers on my cloth seats.

I also live in the hottest city in the U.S., no way am I parking in the sun and getting in a hot car. Been there, done that, when I had my black VW with black leather seats.

Real premium leather is another story but very few cars have it today, most have a vinyl or poly coating or made with cheap bicast leather. I much prefer cloth or Alcantara to this type but not to uncoated real leather.
The problem is "real" leather is hard to care for and time consuming, stains easily and can be difficult to remove.

I like the look of leather in a car, and it is easier to clean up, but from a feel perspective, I prefer cloth/alcantara - not slippery and does not feel hot/cold in summer/winter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I like the look of leather in a car, and it is easier to clean up, but from a feel perspective, I prefer cloth/alcantara - not slippery and does not feel hot/cold in summer/winter.

That's what heated/cooled seats are for
wink.gif

I prefer nice leather. Cheap leather, might as well give me cloth.

I managed to get “leather” in all three of my current vehicles. I like the jeep and truck mostly because it looks cleaner and is easy to clean plus they have heaters. The car is black on black with no AC and no seat heaters so basically the worst of both worlds in extreme temps. Being slippery affects all three.

I agree about leather, not sure I agree about vinyl.

Im no fan of leather. The plastic coated leather used these days is pretty lousy feeling, often has a mix of cheap looking vinyl and leather mixed, etc.

Good vinyl, like MB Tex, is my preference.

I will take cloth seats too. No issues with cloth. I do slightly prefer vinyl.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Much rather have leather.

Everything we have now … most in the past = leather … roll on ground then go to town …

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's what heated/cooled seats are for
wink.gif

Yeah, but it takes a while to heat them/cool them, unless you remote start it.

I keep hearing about the industry coming out with good material that feels (and even smells) like leather yet wears like iron. But I've yet to see it hit the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back