Amsoil ATF for Honda ATF-Z1 Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

I ordered two cases of Amsoil ATF to use in two different Accords. One is a 2006 V6 and the other is a 2007 4-cyl. Both cars were originally spec’ed for the ATF-Z1, not the thinner superseded DW-1. The main reason I wanted to try Amsoil ATF is because I have heard good feedback about the product in the past and I want something with a long service life. I have tried other aftermarket ATFs in Honda’s and the shift quality just did not feel “right.”

Does anyone have any recent experiences to share about using Amsoil ATF in Honda’s?

I had a 2001 Accord that spec'd Honda's ATF-Z1 and I was never impressed with Z-1 and it's 'unusual' chemistry.
I would have no problem using Amsoil ATF in place of Honda Z-1....I can't see how it wouldn't be an improvement durability wise.

My 02 Accord originally spec'd Z1. I wouldn't mind trying Amsoil one day, as it has plenty of good reviews.

ATF (vs. ATL) is a good idea even in cars spec'd for DW-1, as most of those cars are getting up in mileage anyways, and a slightly thicker fluid isn't going to mess with anything.

I have run ATL in my Fusion, but run Maxlife in my Odyssey. If it hadn't had 135k when I got it, I may have run ATF from the get-go, but I can't see spending Amsoil money when Maxlife is likely just as good for a fraction of the cost.

Honda's OEM Z1 is nothing special. Amsoil will be fine in it
smile.gif

Yep! Good Stuff!

I run this Amsoil ATF in my `06 Honda Odyssey and `07 Honda Accord. Shifts quality is way better. Slightly quicker, smooth, but firm shifts.

My `06 Ody has 140,000 hard miles and I have been using the Amsoil since around 50,000 miles. No problems. All is good.

My `07 Accord it really improved the 1-2 shift that used to be long and slow.

Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I recently put Amsoil ATF in my 2006 Accord V6. Firmer more positive shifts for sure.

From what I've seen from my UOA and a few others, it could be that Honda DW-1 shears a few viscosity points within 30k miles.

For example, my 2006 came from the factory with Z1 (7.058 cSt @ 100C)... Later the Honda dealer put in DW-1 (6.835 cSt @ 100C)... Within 30k miles the DW-1 shears to 4.83 cSt. That's down 2.23 cSt from the original factory Z1 spec. Now lets add in some spirited driving and really heat up the sheared DW-1 fluid. Now what do we have? It really makes me wonder if some of the Honda transmission failures we've heard about originates from weak/sheared OEM ATF fluid?

The Amsoil ATF starts (7.5 cSt @ 100C) and if I had to guess, it's a shear stable fluid.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
I recently put Amsoil ATF in my 2006 Accord V6. Firmer more positive shifts for sure.

From what I've seen from my UOA and a few others, it could be that Honda DW-1 shears a few viscosity points within 30k miles.

For example, my 2006 came from the factory with Z1 (7.058 cSt @ 100C)... Later the Honda dealer put in DW-1 (6.835 cSt @ 100C)... Within 30k miles the DW-1 shears to 4.83 cSt. That's down 2.23 cSt from the original factory Z1 spec. Now lets add in some spirited driving and really heat up the sheared DW-1 fluid. Now what do we have? It really makes me wonder if some of the Honda transmission failures we've heard about originates from weak/sheared OEM ATF fluid?

The Amsoil ATF starts (7.5 cSt @ 100C) and if I had to guess, it's a shear stable fluid.

All Honda transmission fluids, including MTF, shear out quickly. As far as I know, they are not fully synthetic so that may be the reason.

I have used it in every Honda unit since 05 and never had any issues with it, in fact it shifts smoother, slightly firmer and is consistent throughout the operating temp range. I have done a line off exchange on units after 50, 75 and 100K on the Amsoil and sort of wished I left it in, it was almost the same color as it went in.

I use it in Nissan/Infinity, Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Subaru and never had issues only improvement. I don't use fuel efficient formula in anything just the ATF, it seems to return the best results and shifting over a very long time.
The nice thing I like also is unlike Maxlife you can see this very easily on the stick. It is by far my favorite ATF for most applications.

The CRV gets Valvoline Maxlife ATF. DW1 spec. I could use Amsoil ATF blue cap as well. Shift quality is good. No slips or hard shifts. Color is still transparent at 30K miles. The wife isn’t easy on it either. Almost 180K miles total.

I ran Amsoil in 3 family hondas and they did well with no issues. 01 MDX, 02 Odyssey, 06 civic (330,000 miles and still going), and every other vehicle I've had since then and zero problems.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
ATF (vs. ATL) is a good idea even in cars spec'd for DW-1, as most of those cars are getting up in mileage anyways, and a slightly thicker fluid isn't going to mess with anything.
+1
.... and there is no such thing as right viscosity ......
as thicker MOFT offers stronger components protection in terms of boundary lubrication regimes > mixed lubrication regimes >EHD lubrication regimes.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
+1
.... and there is no such thing as right viscosity ......
as thicker MOFT offers stronger components protection in terms of boundary lubrication regimes > mixed lubrication regimes >EHD lubrication regimes.

There you go again making ignorant statements.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GemStater

Lower operating viscosity due to lower virgin KV@40*C and/or viscosity shearing , and by extension lower operating MOFT, offers weaker components protection shifting EHD lubrication regimes > mixed/boundary lubrication regimes, in a way promoting adhesion wear and abrasion wear.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Lower operating viscosity due to lower virgin KV@40*C and/or viscosity shearing , and by extension lower operating MOFT, offers weaker components protection shifting EHD lubrication regimes > mixed/boundary lubrication regimes, in a way promoting adhesion wear and abrasion wear.

There you go again making ignorant statements.
spankme2.gif

Update: I performed 3 drain-and-refills using Amsoil ATF. The car was driven for 8 miles between each drain and refill. There should be 80-85% Amsoil in the trans, the rest is DW1. Fluid is now clean (see above).

The shifts are noticeably firmer (and quicker), especially the 3-4 and 4-5 upshifts. The “sloppy smooth” shifts are gone. We will see what the owner says. I think if it was my car, I would rather use DW1 and change it more often.

Last edited:
Critic,

Thanks for sharing.

So Amsoil and DW1 are compatible - let's say a person did just 1 drain with Amsoil - would that combination still work ok ?

Especially if your transmission has not been serviced in a while, even a single spill and fill will make a noticeable difference. It will shift better.
I tend to use Honda ATF, but MaxLife, Castrol and Amsoil will work just fine.
Personally, I have used MaxLife with great results. While I baby my cars, I kinda shy away from the royalty cost fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back