Rubbing sound at front of car

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 09' Camry. After it was inspected i noticed a rubbing sound from right front of car. Trying to get hold of shop to look at it.

Do you get it when turning or driving straight?

I would guess a wheel bearing or maybe dragging brakes or dust shield.

Im gonna check later for splash shield loose. Only when turning right. It passed pa inspection so im [censored] at the shop that was reputable

Check for obvious stuff like the plastic liners dragging on the tire or on the ground.

If it does it at low speed, stand outside and have someone drive the car around you. This should let you hear the location of the noise.

Last edited:
Plastic liners always get loose on my corolla. Especially after winter. You just need some push clips if thats the case. If thats not the issue, could be a stuck caliper or if louder as car increases speed could be wheel bearing.

Only happens when I make hard right turn from stop or accelerating. I put shop on notice that whatever they find wrong; I am NOT paying as they said my car passed PA Safety Inspection. I have a State Cop friend I'll bring to shop with me
smile.gif

This s$&/@ shouldn't happen PERIOD as its probably safety related and the shop should have informed me about this. Guy that inspected my car didn't even test drive my car. WTH?!?!

Originally Posted By: car51
Only happens when I make hard right turn from stop or accelerating. I put shop on notice that whatever they find wrong; I am NOT paying as they said my car passed PA Safety Inspection. I have a State Cop friend I'll bring to shop with me
smile.gif

This s$&/@ shouldn't happen PERIOD as its probably safety related and the shop should have informed me about this. Guy that inspected my car didn't even test drive my car. WTH?!?!

Don't be unreasonable. There are many issues that can cause a "rubbing sound" that are either not safety-related, or are not included on the state safety-inspection checklist.

Originally Posted By: car51
Critic: what would you do then? I'm all ears

If it was my own car and my only car, I would find a way to check it out myself....asap.

Which is why i made a appointment to have this issue looked into. I didnt do it to my car and it was not happening before the inspection

Are you saying a state inspector drove your car? Is this the usual sop?

If that is right and you cannot be riding with them then that’s messed up. Here we have emissions checks but no safety inspection as I know of.

Last edited:
I once had a small tree limb get stuck under the front and rubbed something when i turned. Just to satisfy yourself, you should a least get it up on ramps and have a look around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Are you saying a state inspector drove your car? Is this the usual sop?

If that is right and you cannot be riding with them then that’s messed up. Here we have emissions checks but no safety inspection as I know of.

Yep, test drive car before and after inspection.

We have emissions and saftey inspection here. Emissions is a joke anyways

I'd check for a dust/heat shield issue. One time I had caliper bolts come loose once and the caliper was rubbing on the rim, I didn't figure that out quick enough and it rubbed through the rim. Worth checking out.
My Liberty has a pretty bad rubbing noise....it's a status symbol because that means the tires are big.
smile.gif

I’m going to guess and say it’s something that came loose and that the timing is a coincidence. If part of this test drive is done over a rough road or surface to attempt to expose loose chassis parts then it might have caused this.

On a side note, I am really surprised that the state inspector has to drive the car for this. The liability itself would make me wonder but I guess you pay for it in PA. I’m just not sure why they cannot jack it up and give it a visual and a few rugs here and there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back